WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: svea 123 fuel

Default svea 123 fuel

Has anyone tried coleman gas in a svea? The performance was? Thanks

I've used it for years - works great, and it's what you should be using. I"m not sure what other fuel you would consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheral View Post
    I've used it for years - works great, and it's what you should be using. I"m not sure what other fuel you would consider.
    Ditto. Since the early 70s.
    Wayne

Nice to know I'm not alone. I have an MSR, but I still love and use my Svea regularly.

Don’t we all have too many stoves?
    My favorites run on white gas.
    Wayne

Journal Entries
    Images

Yep, what the others have said. Coleman Fuel (White Gas / Naphtha) is what it is supposed to burn. I love the stove, works great. Most of the time these days I'm using alcohol...every now and then in winter I break out the 123.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Is the SVEA 123/R still being produced and distributed in the USA? [Aside from potential knockoffs at the river site? Looking for official distribution]

To the best of my knowledge the Svea 123Rs were never made in the U.S. I have one of the newer ones, and while I don't still have the box, I'm reasonably certain it was made in China. With that said, it works fine and has never given me any problems and is the one I still take regularly on overnight hikes. If you want authenticity, you can still find the original 123s, though it's getting harder (and particularly ones with the original key). I have two of these, and if kept in good shape and maintenance is performed, they work as if new. BTW I couldn't find anything on the Optimus site about where they're made. Maybe someone else knows more, and I'll be happy to stand corrected.

I had an Optimus 8-R Hunter, which I believe was made by Svea. Coleman Fuel was recommended, but I used to burn Amoco unleaded "white gas", as it was advertised way back when, and I never had any problems. I don't know what the 10% ethanol blend they sell today would do in a Svea.
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 08-24-2020 at 13:21.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Here is the history of Svea. Made in Sweden for decades. When I was in scouts long ago, someone got a good deal on SVEA stoves that turned out to be Soviet knock offs

There used to be large kerosene models.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by strollin View Post
    Has anyone tried coleman gas in a svea? The performance was? Thanks
    Yup.

Inside the stove and on top of it.

Superb performance — but not a good way way to make friends if you are an early rising shelter dweller who starts their day with hot coffee.

Images

Does the 123 have to be primed and does the fuel have an odor?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Does the 123 have to be primed and does the fuel have an odor?
    I have primed in cold weather with the same fuel in the stove’s fuel tank. Years ago I had the good sense to purchase the SVEA pump and pump compatible fuel tank lid. Press pump on the lid. 5 strokes. Open fuel valve. Watch fuel flow into the priming fuel recess area on the fuel tank. Close valve to prevent spilling fuel over the tank. Light priming fuel. Let burn until the flame is almost exhausted. Open fuel valve again. Stove ignited!
    The above process takes longer to tell than to do. Any flammable liquid could be carefully dispensed in the correct location to prime the stove. Alcohol even. I don’t know if it’s still available, but there used to be a Sterno type paste fuel packaged in a tube like toothpaste. Very easy to use.
    White gas has been around since forever and used in countless stoves, lanterns, heaters, etc. I’ve never noticed an objectionable order. But my sniffer isn’t of Bloodhound quality.
    The SVEA 123 and all of it’s siblings and knockoffs have been around since forever. They work. They are easily repaired with a few spare parts that I always carry. But I haven’t needed to use the parts.
    The Primus and Optimus Multi Fuel Expedition stoves use a burner similar to the SVEA 123 and burn white gas, kerosene and diesel with the correct nozzle or standard ISO Butane canisters through the white gas orifice.
    All of the above is explained better than I can at countless web sites online.
    Just don’t try to use one on a nylon tent floor!!!! The entire stove gets very warm.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Is the SVEA 123/R still being produced and distributed in the USA? [Aside from potential knockoffs at the river site? Looking for official distribution]
    A Google search turns up a bewildering array of vendors.
    Wayne

Images

Thank you Wayne for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    The above process takes longer to tell than to do. Any flammable liquid could be carefully dispensed in the correct location to prime the stove. Alcohol even. I don’t know if it’s still available, but there used to be a Sterno type paste fuel packaged in a tube like toothpaste. Very easy to use.
    The paste is still around:
    https://www.amazon.com/Coghlans-8607...dp/B000QJFKIM/

Thanks CalebJ. That’s good to know.
    Since I own both the original SVEA and the modern, updated Primus (both require priming) the tube of priming paste would be very handy!
    Wayne

For what it's worth, I might use a dropper bottle with alcohol or white gas in it next time I dig mine out. Seems simpler, but either option would work just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    For what it's worth, I might use a dropper bottle with alcohol or white gas in it next time I dig mine out. Seems simpler, but either option would work just fine.
    Just an educated guess:
    Alcohol might be safer. With lots of POISON markings! I forgot to mention the dropper bottle for priming.
    I think I need to have a stove day on the back porch. Fall is just around the corner.
    Wayne

For my old SVEA, I bought a priming pump.The original fuel cap is replaced with a same size adaptpr cap which has a small nipple for the pump. Preasuerize the stove and tur it on foe a few seconds, and the fuel squirts out into the well

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++