Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: svea 123 fuel

Yes, but you can't actually buy one off the Optimus site.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheral View Post
    There are many e-tailers other than the big one that sell this stove, mostly in the range of $110 dollars or so.

Thanks. It's curious, though, why Outland USA is not listed as a dealer on Optimus' web site (at least, not by searching by city/state or zip). REI is listed, but they don't carry this stove.

Interesting it's not on the river site. IIRC it used to be, and there were (some) reviews complaining about it not being of the same quality etc etc. So I'm just cautious of the risk of knockoffs. I agree, Venchka, I could trust Optimus, but how do we know an Optimus is an Optimus? Best I can figure, by sticking to official dealers.

There are, of course, other options in the white gas stove market. There's just something about the 123R that appeals to me - simplicity of design, longevity in the market, durability of item, retro appeal, etc. But it's my understanding they're not the most efficient things around. The attraction is not entirely rational, I concede!

Images

I have my original Svea 123 I got from REI in 1975 for $11.25. I still runs like a blowtorch. As has been pointed out, White Gas (Coleman fuel) is the best fuel for it. On a 2.5 mos long hike on the AT in 1977 I did use leaded auto fuel for a bit until I could find some white gas to replenish my Sigg fuel bottle. I don't think auto fuel is ideal, but it certainly worked(s).

I'm not sure it's been pointed out that the later version of the Svea 123 is the "R" model. It has a built-in cleaning needle. I've never owned the R model, but I've heard it's a bit more problematic than the original. I believe the current Taiwanese made version is the "R" model. In all the years I've used my Svea I've never had an issue with it, but I've always cleaned the burner jet religiously.

If I wanted a Svea I'd get on ebay and find a used Swedish-made non-R model, though undoubtedly the 123R is perfectly fine.

A lot of good reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svea_123

After looking at EBAY SVEA stove and pump/fuel cap prices, I am putting my stove and accessories in a safety deposit box!
    👍😄
    My only regret: I bought the ďnakedĒ stove and SIGG TOURIST cook set package from REI. I donít have the brass windscreen. Maybe Iíll run across the windscreen someday.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    For what it's worth, I might use a dropper bottle with alcohol or white gas in it next time I dig mine out. Seems simpler, but either option would work just fine.
    I used a plastic eyedropper to transfer fuel from the COLD fuel tank to the priming cup. Just before it burns out, open the valve and the stove lights right up!
    " A good proofreader/editor, if they are doing their job properly, will really annoy an author!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++