WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tent Recommendation

I hammock camp, but need a tent for certain trips. I hike/camp mostly in the Southeastern US. Tent will be used more in colder weather. I have been looking at the Tarptents online. Given condensation issues, am I better staying with something like the Big Agnes Copper Spur or is the Stratospire a good fit for the Southeastern US in colder climates?
    Thanks in advance!

I have a Tarptent Rainbow. When I bought it in 2016 they offered a liner, which I bought. I'm sure the liner is still available. The liner works well to catch condensation from the top of the tent and send it down the sides. The tent sides still get condensation, but that doesn't drip on your sleeping bag and equipment stored in the tent. I have been happy with the tent and just completed a thru-hike of the Colorado Trail with it where it performed well. Lot of condensation on the CT as temperatures range from the 70's and 80's during the day to lows in the 40's and 50's at night.

I also used the tent on over 1,900 miles of the AT. In April of 2016 temperatures were down in the 20's several nights and the tent performed well (my 30 degree sleeping bag did not).

If you buy one, be sure you seal the seams.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I have loved my BA Copper Spur UL2 as a one person tent.
    For my purposes (i.e. using a 'large' sleeping pad rather than a 'standard' size), the tent would be WAY too small as a two person tent.
    However, in the humid south, you can't expect even the Copper Spur to be bone dry in the morning.
    When camping in the Smokies with my Copper Spur, I usually find some moisture on the underside of the rainfly just the combination of the humidity and my breath.

You haven't mentioned your priorities beyond double wall tent so it's hard to say.

From my perspective--if you always take trekking poles with you, buy the Stratospire b/c it is likely lighter and 2 doors and vestibules are better than 1. I have the 2013 Copper Spur 1 (I mention the year b/c I understand the current materials are not as durable as the old ones) and I have the 2019 Tarptent Notch Li with mesh inner. I love both tents and still use both tents.

I chose the inner mesh for the Notch Li despite reviews of less privacy and warmth b/c I was prioritizing weight and airflow. I have slept comfortable in it with a light wind and temps in the mid 20's. (FF Nano Egret 20 and Nemo Tensor Insulated short pad). This is my go to tent for most backpacking trips--saves weight and space in pack, 2 doors gives me great airflow and set up flexibility. I usually backpack alone and often find myself alone so whether the tent is transparent or not is not a concern. I don't spend a lot of time in my tent during backpacking trips.

I bring my Copper Spur when I am car camping or backpacking with a group (more privacy) and I would likely use it for late autumn trips where temps will reliably be near or below freezing. Freestanding tents are great for rocky areas, platforms. The space in this tent is also great if you know you are spending a lot time in the tent for whatever reason.

Stratospire 1 or 2. With the part solid inner tent body.
    I own the SS 1 with the part solid inner tent. In heavy condensation conditions, the solid fabric over you and your sleeping bag deflects liquid water past you to the ground.
    If insects aren’t a problem the rainfly alone is a great shelter.
    Two thumbs up for the Stratospire 1!
    Wayne

Thank you all for the feedback

I'm selling a used Tarptent Stratospire 1.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...th-Mesh-Insert

Check out the Mid-X 1 & 2 person tents on Drop..... I got the 2P and think it is a game breaker.

I like Big Agnes stuff. I have had good luck with their Fly Creek 1P. I also use a MSR Hubba. It is a little heavier, side entrance and doesn't require as much staking out and has more room under the fly for gear.

Images

I’m a fan of BA products and their customer service is great. The BA Tigerwall ul2 or Copper spur ul2 are great 1 person tents.

I hve worn out a stratospire 2 and for the money i feel that it is about as good as it gets. I replaced it with a duplex for the weight savings however I wish I had just replaced it with another stratospire. But now that I have experienced the weight savings, I deal with the imperfections of the duplex and dream of the days I had my stratospire.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I previously used a Duplex but didn't like worrying about the condensation. I purchased a Stratospire Li 2 and love it. It weighs a few more ounces but for me it's worth it to solve the condensation issues. I also have a BA Tiger Wall 2. I usually take that if I'm just doing a night or two.

Thank you all for the feedback! I currently do not hike with trekking poles, but am planning on that purchase. I think at my age (52) that will help. Just an additional follow-up question. Based on the feedback, I'm down to the Copper Spur or the Stratospire 2. For those that have experience with both, do you think one is better from a water penetration perspective? Is the floor on either more resistive to water infiltration? I've "heard" some feedback that other major manufacturers are now having issues with water as they have lightened the fabrics and that some even have disclaimers on the bags that the tent should not be used in rain/wet conditions. I'm not listing the name as I have not personally seen this on a tag, but have had a couple of people tell me they "learned" this when they bought a tent and had water migrate up through the floor during a rainstorm. When they called customer service they were told that the tent was not made to be used in wet conditions? Urban myth?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Tent not made for use in wet conditions???

I used to own an REI Co-op Half Dome 2 Plus Tent
    {that 'Plus' means it is a great size for two people}

One of the things that was terrific about the tent was the ability to resist water. The 1st camping trip I used it on, it poured down rain for about an hour and the spot I setup the tent became a minor river about 1/2" to 1" deep.
    I quickly piled everything inside the tent on top of my 2" sleeping pad getting ready for the impending river in my tent. But it never came. The inside of the tent stayed dry (and once the rain stopped, the river around my tent receded).

Unfortunately, I ultimately returned the tent under the REI one year guarantee because of two major issues:
    1. The rain fly allowed water to pool on the top of the tent {kept having to push on the fly to get it to run off fearing it might start soaking thru}
    2. The no-seem netting developed a hole with "routine use" of less than 12 nights out (no accidents)

Not sure if there was some special way to setup the tent to avoid the pooling... and I've never had durability issues with REI products before, so I hope both things were a one-off on this tent.

One of the things that was terrific about the design of the tent (that I didn't realize until I replaced it with a Big Agnes) was the offset design of the zipper on the rain fly.
    On the down side, it required a minimum of 6 rather than 4 tent pegs to stake out the tent. But the design keeps the zipper close to the tent body.
    By contrast, the typical tent (BA and others) is that the zipper goes strait down the center of the rain fly, and that means the zipper ends where the rain fly is farthest from the tent body. You have to either lean out and get your hands in the dirt to reach to zip/unzip the tent, or leave it only partially zipped.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Tent not made for use in wet conditions???

I used to own an REI Co-op Half Dome 2 Plus Tent
    {that 'Plus' means it is a great size for two people}

One of the things that was terrific about the tent was the ability to resist water. The 1st camping trip I used it on, it poured down rain for about an hour and the spot I setup the tent became a minor river about 1/2" to 1" deep.
    I quickly piled everything inside the tent on top of my 2" sleeping pad getting ready for the impending river in my tent. But it never came. The inside of the tent stayed dry (and once the rain stopped, the river around my tent receded).

Unfortunately, I ultimately returned the tent under the REI one year guarantee because of two major issues:
    1. The rain fly allowed water to pool on the top of the tent {kept having to push on the fly to get it to run off fearing it might start soaking thru}
    2. The no-seem netting developed a hole with "routine use" of less than 12 nights out (no accidents)

Not sure if there was some special way to setup the tent to avoid the pooling... and I've never had durability issues with REI products before, so I hope both things were a one-off on this tent.

One of the things that was terrific about the design of the tent (that I didn't realize until I replaced it with a Big Agnes) was the offset design of the zipper on the rain fly.
    On the down side, it required a minimum of 6 rather than 4 tent pegs to stake out the tent. But the design keeps the zipper close to the tent body.
    By contrast, the typical tent (BA and others) is that the zipper goes strait down the center of the rain fly, and that means the zipper ends where the rain fly is farthest from the tent body. You have to either lean out and get your hands in the dirt to reach to zip/unzip the tent, or leave it only partially zipped.
    I actually have the REI Half Dome 2 Plus that I use for car camping. It's about 6 years old. The only issue that I've had was last trip I got some seepage through the fly in a heavy rainstorm. I think it's time to re-seam seal it. One little "trick" that I do when it's raining: I swap ends on the fly and put the color codes "mis-matched). You have to "crawl" to get to the door, but it has the door under the fly so rain cannot fall directly into the tent.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyhanger View Post
    I actually have the REI Half Dome 2 Plus that I use for car camping. It's about 6 years old. The only issue that I've had was last trip I got some seepage through the fly in a heavy rainstorm. I think it's time to re-seam seal it. One little "trick" that I do when it's raining: I swap ends on the fly and put the color codes "mis-matched). You have to "crawl" to get to the door, but it has the door under the fly so rain cannot fall directly into the tent.
    Keep in mind the Half Dome has undergone some design changes in the last 6 years.
    https://www.rei.com/product/128692/r...me-2-plus-tent - Current Design
    https://www.rei.com/product/878520/r...plus-tent-2017 - Previous Design

But even so, I don't understand your "trick" of mis-matched ends.
    The two designs appear to be more similar than different.
    The biggest difference is the offset fly zip. As I mentioned, that keeps the zipper close to the tent body.
    {I was initially annoyed with this design because it requires two extra tent stakes to stake the fly (and they still only provide 8 rather than the 10 stakes needed to stake out the fly and stake down every corner of the tent).}

But for both designs, the tent floor looks rectangular and the door seems to be in the middle of the tent. So I don't see how you can even have a "mis-matched" end {unless you turned the fly 90º}.

I also don't have the REI tent in hand to look at it either.
    I'm now using a Big Agnes Manzanares SL3 as a replacement to the REI Half Dome Plus
    https://www.rei.com/product/128910/b...l3-mtnglo-tent
    I love that the Manzanares is more than a 1/4 lb lighter yet 5 sqft bigger.

But I must say that I'm now missing that offset fly that allows you to zip/unzip the fly without stretching way outside the tent, and the amount of "chimney" ventilation the REI has (4 flaps compared to BA's 1 flap).

However, I loved the guyline tensioners that came with the REI tent so much, I purchased the closest equivalent from Amanzon.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I attached the tensioner to the fly with Round Cord Elastic (https://www.michaels.com/loops-and-t.../10187884.html).
    1/8" Elastic Shock Cord is too strong for the application. Instead, what worked out to just the right about of stretch was to take a 2' long piece of the round elastic and loop it thru the tensioner 4 times.
    That amount of elastic allows you to cinch the fly down pretty taught, but allows the elastic to still have a little give. That way, the fly can't start flapping in the breeze, and your guylines don't get loosened by a sudden blast of wind.

++ New Posts ++