WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default AT Section Hike in late Sept/early Oct (Glasgow, VA towards Damascus, VA)

I'm section hiking the AT (I've done CT/NY border thru Glasgow a few years ago) and was thinking about starting up in Glasgow, VA (Mile 787) and heading south thru Bland or Damascus (Mile 470). I'm driving from midwest beginning in late September and hiking for 2-3 weeks and had a few questions:
    - What is the availability of shuttles in the area?
    - Are there plenty of places to resupply?
    - It looks like (from Guthook guide) that there is plenty of water now. Any guesses on water availability in Sept/October
    - Are hostels, hotels open? I'd mainly sleep in my tent and stay out of shelters.
    - Anything else I should be aware of?
    Had planned to do a section hike in May of this year but delayed till now.
    Thanks for your help!
    Wedding Walker

Check the page here on shuttles, you should be good. I'm happy to help with that between Glasgow and Roanoke, maybe further, just PM me.

Resupply - how many miles per day do you plan to do? Glasgow to Daleville, and Catawba to Pearisburg, not many options, so depends on your daily average.

Water - should be fine. Not plentiful, but doable. Check back when date is closer. Seasonal/unreliable spots listed in GH likely won't be flowing.

No way to know now, but keep an eye out for hurricanes moving in. They are not frequent, but not unknown that time of year, and you don't want to be caught unaware.

McAfee area will be crowded on weekends. Try to time to hit that mid week.

i live in Damascus. i might be able to help you with a shuttle depending on the day and time of day

Checkout links below for more help!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Thanks Gambit, those links are very helpful!

Thanks Pastor Byron - great detailed info! On my last 2 hikes I did about 14 miles per hiking day so I'll look on Guthook and the link Gambit provided on Resupply locations. I'll PM you re potential shuttle so I have your info.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

For my fall trips when water levels are low, I carry a tiny 8-oz plastic milk bottle that I found at a convenience store during one of my hikes. It works very well for dipping in a low water source (plus it adds another 8 ounces of carry capacity for 0.85 oz of extra weight).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

For low water hikes, I have an empty, clean, 1/2-gallon orange juice container clipped to my pack. I'll fill it at a reliable stream to have extra water at a dry camp (supplementing the standard load of two quarts).

I also pack a straw, for emergencies or pressing needs. If a trickle is coming down a mountainside with no chance of enhanced contamination uphill (habitations, privies, beaver activity, etc.), I'll sip straight from a tiny puddle.

Thanks for the advice Kerosene and congrats on your completing the AT in sections. I'm about 1/3 done.

Thanks Dan, good ideas- especially to check uphill for possible contamination.

++ New Posts ++