WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Cultural Dos and Donts of the AT?

I am doing a research project for a grad class on the culture/community of the AT. I would love to know some of the folkways and Norms of the trail, if there are any? What are the cultural dos and donts of the AT?
    Thanks,
    Cafequaid1

Quote Originally Posted by cafequaid1
    I am doing a research project for a grad class on the culture/community of the AT. I would love to know some of the folkways and Norms of the trail, if there are any? What are the cultural dos and donts of the AT?
    Thanks,
    Cafequaid1
    Rule #1. Don't steal from another hiker. Hikers (generally) only carry things they really need.

Rule #2. See rule #1.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Funny you should ask this...

I was on an overnight hike in Western NC this weekend. Five thru-hikers told me about a certain hiker they are all doing their best to escape. The offending hiker's misdeeds were basically various forms of mooching (money and food), not being self-sufficient emotionally, wanting to be the center of attention at all times, and demanding more than her share of public resources (internet time in a motel). I won't go into specifics here, but all five hikers were busting their butts to get at least a day ahead of this other hiker.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default Thanks

Thanks,
    If you think of anymore, just shoot them my way.
    B3

Don't brag about how many miles you've done, or how far you've come, or how far you're going or how fast you're hiking. Realize that bragging inevitably has an opposite effect to the one intended. People will be less impressed with you.

If you're a gearhead, don't bore others with talk about gear until you ascertain that they have an interest in the topic. Many don't.

There's [almost] always room in a shelter in bad weather. If there's even a tiny amount of space that could be created, don't tell someone the shelter is full.

Another thing. In our society, social groups generally tend to form around folks that come from similar socio-economic groups. On the trail, you find doctors hanging out with house painters. Retired executives hiking with recent high school grads - and treating each other like peers.

Another thing.... Unlike activities like tennis, golf, or chess - you don't find a "better" hiker. Oh sure. There are always strong hikers who can bang out the miles, but to try and portray yourself as somehow "better" is generally verboten.
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Leave No Trace
    Help others if you can
    Be grateful if you receive help, but never expect it.
    Try to be up beat even if situations are difficult

One part of the culture (can be disputed) is trail magic/trail angels.

Trail magic can be when some unexpected good thing is done for a hiker...sometimes who is in great need. This can be a ride into town on a horrible weather day, food/soda, someone putting gallon jugs of water in a section that doesn't have good water sources for many many miles. You never take more than you need. The unexpected help can change a difficult day into a good one. A person who dispenses trail magic is usually known as a trail angel.

Some people do "trail feeds" and other large trail magic events. Some say it's trail magic...some don't.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo

http://www.trailjournals.com/shadesofblue

with a case of blind faith
    Images

BJ

"Be grateful if you receive help, but never expect it."

I like your short list and this part the very best.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default DO-BEE & DONT-BEEs...

Quote Originally Posted by cafequaid1
    I am doing a research project for a grad class on the culture/community of the AT. I would love to know some of the folkways and Norms of the trail, if there are any? What are the cultural dos and donts of the AT? Thanks, Cafequaid1

DO help fellow hikers...w/ advice (when asked)..helping hand..etc,etc

DONT leave trash along the trail, in shelters or around campsites...pack it out!
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Dont's include:
    *Don't give advice if it isn't requested.
    *Remember we all know alot and no one knows it all.
    *There are different styles of hiking, ultra lites and regular, Don't be critical of someone with a style different than yours.
    *Never mooch. If you are short on food or money there is no harm in mentioning it but then let it go.
    *Remember all thru hikers are equal, old, young, men & women. Don't run another person down.
    *Do not bragg, If you did a 35 mile day it is okey to mention it when you all gather around the shelter at night but don't try to wear it like a badge and belittle others who hiked lesser miles.
    Good Do's
    *Get away from the group to smoke of use your cel phone.
    * Remember some tent, some use hamocks, some stay in shelters. Respect the other hikers style and choice.
    *If you see another hiker is short of food or has lost or broken equipment share if you are able.
    *Remember 9pm is "hikers midnight" so be quiet and let your fellow hikers sleep.
    * Always check on the well being and health of fellow hikers and be intrested in those you share the adventure with.
    *We all have very bad days on the trail, if you are having one just suck it in and smile.
    *If you really need help ask for it. It is not mooching if you get into a bad situation out of your control.
    *Try very hard to not stink too bad.
    [FONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]Don't fret the petty things, &
    Don't pet the sweaty things[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][I][/I]
    (I'm moxie00 on my apple-moxie on my PC)

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Moxie00
    *Get away from the group to smoke of use your cel phone.
    Yes, I forgot about this one. Burning your cell phone is a very important part of trail culture. Just be sure to pack out the remains.

Section by Section
    Images

If you choose to "pack heat" don't even mention you are, let alone bring it out for show and tell. You may find comfort and security in bringing it along, but others might be weirded out knowing you have it.

Journal Entries

I would add, Be aware of how your actions affect others. For instance, keeping a light on in the shelters at night attracts mosquitoes and other bugs. When someone complains about a light attracting bugs, ponder for at least a moment or two whether your need to read or journal outweighs another hiker's desire for sleep.

I'm not saying you should necessarily bow to another's wishes. But if the inconvenience to you is minor, think about doing so, even if you know the complainers carry tents and can escape the bugs anytime they want.

Weary

Images

-speak softly, especially between 9pm and 8am, as others may be sleeping.
    -use radios, cell phones, games, and other items of the beeping/ blinking/ electronic sort out of hearing of others, who may have made this special trip just to get away from that sort of thing on their only vacation of the year.
    -don't discuss your gear with anyone unless they ask first.
    -ask others about themselves, but let them tell you about job/ family/ etc... some folks are on the trail because of problems with those things, and don't necessarily want to bring it up.
    -don't brag about anything.
    -keep your dog well away from others. even if you think he's well behaved, someone else doesn't, but won't tell you.
    -when you get into a shelter, find a space, and keep in it... don't spread your stuff out everywhere.
    -don't mooch- food, money, cell phone, dry towel, toilet paper, duct tape, aspirin, band aids, etc... if you're an ultralighter (and i am, by others' definition), you should have brought your own.
    -keep your smoking supplies (of all sorts) out of sight of children, and out of smell of all others. believe it or not, it's offensive.
    -do look out for others.
    -do share what food, fuel, or TP you can afford to.
    -do know how far back the last water source or trail crossing was.
    -don't stick your hand in anyone's GORP bag... ask them to pour it into yours.
    -do keep yourself reasonably clean. we all stink. but there are limits, and no one likes a pig.
    -don't wash in water sources.
    -bury your crap and TP far away from the trail.
    -don't use foul language, especially around young kids. the f word is just a noun/adjective/adverb to a lot of young people, but some of us are deeply offended by it, among words that are "popular".
    -if you spill food in a shelter, PLEASE clean it ALL up... i know the mice need to eat, but not here. also, don't drain your pasta water outside the shelter door.
    -don't complain. if you're hot, wet, tired, itchy, or sore, chances are good someone else is too. don't bring them down when they're trying to stay positive about a bad situation.

#1. Don't listen to anyone else's idea of what's right and wrong.

#2. Just use common sense (what it would be like if a 1000 hikers did the same) and common courtesy and you should be fine.

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

Screw the rules and do what you want. Everyone has equal right to a shelter.

Other than LNT the only rule I agree with is Mowgli's 1 and 2. Anyone with self righteous rules is looking for them to be broken!!! Hike "YOUR" own Hike!!!
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Well, as AT knows, I can be a "Miss Manners" while hiking.

The trip involved me berating some ill supervised religious kids who were burning plastic, trying to dry shirts over a campfire and other hazardous or LNT activities. It helps to have a thick skin when attempting to manipulate others into a better behavior pattern, and to allow them some distance to process your misguided attempts at education.

Sometimes, other folks do get the point, even when it takes some time.

Especially in towns, don't think anyone owes you anything just because you're a hiker a long way from home. You decided to put yourself there, so deal with it. And for gosh sakes please don't stand on a corner with a sign saying "AT Hiker, need money/food".

Be prepared.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Almost There
    Screw the rules and do what you want. Everyone has equal right to a shelter.
    Other than LNT the only rule I agree with is Mowgli's 1 and 2. Anyone with self righteous rules is looking for them to be broken!!! Hike "YOUR" own Hike!!!
    Right on! Let's hear it for Warren D.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++