WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Trail names

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Reality will resume about the time people stop complaining about things that annoy them personally.
    If we had a 'like' button, I'd hit it.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    ...My wife (GreasePot) and I hiked the AT and PCT together and we often call each other by our trail names.
    A gender-neutral trail name can add a degree of personal safety for some. My wife's is a good example.
    More than gender-neutral - from my 2004 Trail Journal at Roaring Springs Shelter: " ...I made it before 6 and shared the site with Louise a SOBO guy (that’s right a guy, his hiking partner was a guy named Thelma who dropped off so now it’s just Louise)..."

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    The first hikers I met thought my real name was a trail name
    thom
    From my 2005 trail journal on a winter section hike in SW Virginia: "... we were joined by another shelter mate.. Stavros (real name, not Trail name)..." I told him he had a built-in trail name.

I actually have a few names people call me. Just depends how they know me. When people really started using forums and deciding, for whatever reason, to NOT use their real names, I would pick a name that might be related to that hobby or group of people. I have people who call me Penny. Others call me Fannie. A select few call me Fran. I used to have a login name of Katchem on a few forums. Then there's the trail where I am One Half. And even now some social media feeds I use One Half. Of course, people who knew me when I was growing up - family and friends - call me something else. And then people I meet in person, as an adult, have another name for me - just the more adult version of the diminutive family called me when I was a child. But all these names kind of "sort" my acquaintances and if you are around me long enough, you will be able to sort people I know based on how they refer to me. I kind of like it. I'm not a "static" person. Why should my name be static?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    More than gender-neutral - from my 2004 Trail Journal at Roaring Springs Shelter: " ...I made it before 6 and shared the site with Louise a SOBO guy (that’s right a guy, his hiking partner was a guy named Thelma who dropped off so now it’s just Louise)..."

From my 2005 trail journal on a winter section hike in SW Virginia: "... we were joined by another shelter mate.. Stavros (real name, not Trail name)..." I told him he had a built-in trail name.
    Stavros is a Greek name.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Journal Entries
    Images

I suspect some of my posts would be interpreted/understood far differently if they were made with a cool trail name, rather than RickB.

When people mind read, every detail matters.

A good name name is more than just a detail

RickB — Who would consider using the moniker “Mother of all Chickens” moving forward, as I adopted 6 pullets earlier in the summer.

Pretty cool name, right?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I suspect some of my posts would be interpreted/understood far differently if they were made with a cool trail name, rather than RickB.

When people mind read, every detail matters.

A good name name is more than just a detail

RickB — Who would consider using the moniker “Mother of all Chickens” moving forward, as I adopted 6 pullets earlier in the summer.

Pretty cool name, right?
    Six Chicks Rick would also fit - and create some envy as well.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Six Chicks Rick would also fit - and create some envy as well.
    good thing he doesn't have 6 roosters

Images

For me, trail-names are (mostly) an artificial contrivance - as if somehow life on the trail is different from the rest of one's life and therefore requires a different name.

Images

Is it really that much different than having a nickname...or many nicknames?

My given name doesn't fit me nearly as well as the nicknames friends and family have created for me. One is just a shortening of my given name. The other nicknames are either associated with fun memories, or a combination they have created involving my nickname.

Being called by a nickname is not too much different than having a trail name, with no intention of trying to separate any part of my life (on trail, at work, with friends, etc). Sometimes a renaming just happens in the most natural of ways.

I mean, even my dogs have multiple nicknames and they are the same dog underneath it all.

Call me anything except late for dinner!

Garlic
    Images

[QUOTE=Cookerhiker;2274068]More than gender-neutral - from my 2004 Trail Journal at Roaring Springs Shelter: " ...I made it before 6 and shared the site with Louise a SOBO guy (that’s right a guy, his hiking partner was a guy named Thelma who dropped off so now it’s just Louise)..."

And I met "Valley Girl" on a couple of trails in the 2000s. Great guy.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++