WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Albert Mt to NOC starting this Weekend - Expected water availability and crowds

I am hiking from Albert Mt to NOC from Saturday to Wednesday (8 to 10 mile days) and am curious about if there will be any water issues along the way. I see rain is in the forecast so I am not really expecting problems but just want to be sure.

Also, I have a tent but am planning to stop at the shelter locations. Any idea what the crowds are possibly like?

Thanks...

The remnants of Hurricane Sally will be passing through. You will have more water than you will know what to do with.

You never know about crowds this time of year on the cusp of Autumn but I would bet Sally will keep most off the trail.

Did a day hike up to Long Branch Shelter a few weeks ago. There was a posting on the shelter stating it was "closed" because of the virus. In addition, I've been stomping around this area north to Silers Bald. All water sources were fine. Just a bit of info for you. Enjoy your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by daddytwosticks View Post
    Did a day hike up to Long Branch Shelter a few weeks ago. There was a posting on the shelter stating it was "closed" because of the virus. In addition, I've been stomping around this area north to Silers Bald. All water sources were fine. Just a bit of info for you. Enjoy your hike.
    So did the sign say who closed the shelter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't worry about closed shelter signs, that is for sleeping in the shelter only. You can still camp out around the shelters. I was at a shelter a few weeks ago with that sign, people were sleeping in the shelter anyway. But not me.

Thanks, I start on Saturday.

I am worried a little about the temperature prediction. Google.com had 'Wayah Bald Weather' at 29 degrees for Monday night. I can't seem to find anything else that predicts within 10 degrees of that cold. I have a 15 degree down bag + a summer quilt along with lots of layers so I'm hoping I can handle it if it gets that cold.

There’s a cold front coming that’s going to move the rain out.
    Try Rays Weather Dot Com for Mountain Weather.
    Stay dry. Be safe.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++