WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for hiking buddy for Fontana-Davenport Gap

Looking for hiking buddy- I would love to hike north from Fontana to Davenport Gap starting first week (+/-) of Oct. My wife doesn't want to go so I'm hoping to find someone else interested who's my pace (12-15 miles per day). FYI, I'm from Colorado and will fly to Knoxville and rent car to get to Fontana area.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

1. You won't "need" a hiking buddy in GSMNP in October. There will be plenty of people along the trail.

2. What is your plan once you get to Davenport Gap and your rental car is in Fontana
    {or is this where the "hiking buddy" comes in}.

3. Good news, GSMNP recently updated their website for booking back country campsites/shelters.
    They are back to their normal "book upto 30 days before the start of your trip" and campsites/shelters reservations are back to full capacity rather than the half capacity they've been operating.
    So you can go ahead and get reservations for your campsites/shelters now for a trip that starts the first of October. Don't wait too long, some dates at some shelters are already near full for some dates in October. You will also have to plan around Cosby Knob shelter currently being closed.
    Get your reservations/permit here: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1

I second that, you won't need a hiking buddy. I did this last year with my girlfriend but we hiked with so many cool people along the way. I'm a north bound section hiker chipping away one trip at a time, so i'm trying to start at davenport gap this October and try to check off another 100 mi. My suggestions for you based on what I did is as follows. drive your rental car to the "big creek quarters and ranger station" (google it) its just 1.5 miles down a gravel road road from davenport gap. there is a parking area you can leave your car, its technically inside GSMNP. maybe leave a note on the dash when you will be back. Arrange for a shuttle service of your choice to pick you up and take you Fontana Dam. Hike north toward your car, and when you get to davenport gap just road walk down to your car. For my shuttle I used . Craig (aka Hawk) from cabin in the woods (980 406 6446). Its a long drive for him as he is based in Stecoah gap, but I think the ride cost me about $120 (not sure, bad memory) and i like him, i've used him south of Fontana, and stayed in his hiker cabin. if you use him tell him Achilles and ultralight sent you.

Images

there is a parking area you can leave your car, its technically inside GSMNP. maybe leave a note on the dash when you will be back.

do not leave a note in the car with plans.....

that's just an open invitation to break into it....

rangers will know, just by seeing a car in the lot, that one is out hiking.....

the only thing i would suggest is, if you use a rental, maybe call the backcountry office and
    ask them to put the license tag info on your reservation......

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    1. You won't "need" a hiking buddy in GSMNP in October. There will be plenty of people along the trail.

2. What is your plan once you get to Davenport Gap and your rental car is in Fontana
    {or is this where the "hiking buddy" comes in}.

3. Good news, GSMNP recently updated their website for booking back country campsites/shelters.
    They are back to their normal "book upto 30 days before the start of your trip" and campsites/shelters reservations are back to full capacity rather than the half capacity they've been operating.
    So you can go ahead and get reservations for your campsites/shelters now for a trip that starts the first of October. Don't wait too long, some dates at some shelters are already near full for some dates in October. You will also have to plan around Cosby Knob shelter currently being closed.
    Get your reservations/permit here: https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitTypeID=1

HooKooDooKu- Thanks for your feedback. I wasn't able to find a "hiking buddy" through my post however I did talk a friend into hiking it. My major concern was to have a car in at the end of the section hike and that issue has been addressed. Thanks for your input on booking campsites thru the GSMNP site. I appreciate your help!

Default Parking in GSMNP

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    do not leave a note in the car with plans.....

that's just an open invitation to break into it....

rangers will know, just by seeing a car in the lot, that one is out hiking.....

the only thing i would suggest is, if you use a rental, maybe call the backcountry office and
    ask them to put the license tag info on your reservation......

TNhiker- Thanks for the words of wisdom. My buddy and i were planning on parking in Davenport Gap area however we had to shorten the trip and will stop at Newfound Gap instead. I plan on parking in that area for four days. I do not plan on leaving a note to leave in the window. I just got off the Colorado Trail after a few days and I am always apprehensive about leaving my car at a remote trailhead for fear of scumbag trashing it.

Default Parking/Shuttle Logistics

Quote Originally Posted by AchillesAT View Post
    I second that, you won't need a hiking buddy. I did this last year with my girlfriend but we hiked with so many cool people along the way. I'm a north bound section hiker chipping away one trip at a time, so i'm trying to start at davenport gap this October and try to check off another 100 mi. My suggestions for you based on what I did is as follows. drive your rental car to the "big creek quarters and ranger station" (google it) its just 1.5 miles down a gravel road road from davenport gap. there is a parking area you can leave your car, its technically inside GSMNP. maybe leave a note on the dash when you will be back. Arrange for a shuttle service of your choice to pick you up and take you Fontana Dam. Hike north toward your car, and when you get to davenport gap just road walk down to your car. For my shuttle I used . Craig (aka Hawk) from cabin in the woods (980 406 6446). Its a long drive for him as he is based in Stecoah gap, but I think the ride cost me about $120 (not sure, bad memory) and i like him, i've used him south of Fontana, and stayed in his hiker cabin. if you use him tell him Achilles and ultralight sent you.
    Hi AchillesAT- Thanks for your suggestions. My plans changed and my friend from work and i are only going to hike from Fontana Dam to Newfound Gap. We will not need a shuttle as we will stage car at each end. I am trying to knock off 100-200 miles per year on the AT as well. Still have 1500 to go but next year i plan on doing several sections as i recently retired and will have the time to go for it. buddies and i hiked from Springer up to Winding Staircase Gap. My wife has no desire to camp anymore however my son loves to go as much as possible. He lives in Winchester, VA and we have done from 40 miles south of Shenandoah up into PA. I have done also done a bit around White Mountains in NH. I plan on hiking from Winding Staircase NOBO to Stecoah next spring and will keep Craig's name & number handy for shuttle. If you are interested in hiking buddy next spring for most any section I would be interested in joining you. I am 64 and though not a speedster I can still tackle some miles (about 12-15 per day). Later- john

Images

My buddy and i were planning on parking in Davenport Gap area however we had to shorten the trip and will stop at Newfound Gap instead.

DO NOT EVER PARK at davenport gap...

that place is notorious for break ins......

and down near the bridge and interstate as well....

park at the rangers station...

while a break in could still happen there, it's very very rare....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    DO NOT EVER PARK at davenport gap...

that place is notorious for break ins......

and down near the bridge and interstate as well....

park at the rangers station...

while a break in could still happen there, it's very very rare....
    Agreed...
    From everything I've heard over the years, Davenport Gap is too close to the in/out access from the interstate, but next to the Ranger station seems much safer.

You then have to decide if you want to access the AT via Chestnut Branch located by the parking lot, or take about a 1.5 mile road walk to get to Davenport Gap.

++ New Posts ++