WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default re: Quarry Gap Shelter

Quarry Gap is the cadillac of AT shelters. From what I have seen, no other shelter is anywhere near as nice. I would go so far as to say it's worth altering your schedule so you end up staying here. yes there are other shelters that are nice..quite nice..but none as nice as this one!

It is located in an easy section of PA, there are two cabin rooms with a pinic table between and sheltered by roof. THe place is landscaped, has potted plants, you got Karosene lanterns (just decoration) and even a fine spring.

Who says shelter's have to be rustic old lean to's?

David

with a case of blind faith
    Images

I only stopped in for a little break the other day. I couldn't help wondering if I had stopped later in the day and stayed over if there would have been someone's grandma tucking me in and waking me up in the morning wearing an apron and asking how I wanted my eggs.... .... Nice spot to relax at the very least.

Default Bear Box

Stayed there a few nights ago while hiking north from Harpers Ferry. Amazingly beautiful.

This shelter now boasts a metal bear/critter box off to the side for the secure storage of food and other desirables.

Dave,
    working on a 2008 flip-flop HF->ME, HF->GA

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    Dave,
    working on a 2008 flip-flop HF->ME, HF->GA
    to WB and good luck!

Stopped in for lunch 5/22 fabulous SH JIm does a great job! loved the potted flowers

Saw an awesome timber rattler near the tent platforms tooks some great pictures, bet there aren't a lot of mice at this SH
    ~Christy

Images

Stayed at this shelter 10/12 and I might say the paint looked fresh and the place was spotless. This is the most cared for shelter I've seen on the trail anywhere... period .
    The caretaker Jim Stauch obviously takes great pride in this shelter and it shows.

He signs the logbook every time he makes a visit , which looks to be weekly .

The platforms kinda threw me off a little. Not accustomed to seeing them .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

[QUOTE=johnnybgood;1060597]
    He signs the logbook every time he makes a visit , which looks to be weekly .

QUOTE]

And is apparently not enjoying Penn State's perfomance this season

Images

yeah this is probably one of the nicest shelters, even has a bear box (metal cooler). was the cadillac of at shelters until recently when Raven rock was finished near the old devils racecourse shelter. that ones got this one beat hands down. that said, this one is the most well kept shelter by far, he comes weekly, is said to deliver mail once a week according to the thru hiker companion. this shelter (two shelters actually) sleeps 4-6 each and has a picnic table in between them with an adjustable windscreen/ tarp. was even stocked with various magazines and a few maps when i passed through. i sadly stayed at birch run so i passed through quarry gap going sobo around noon and kept going. my hats off to the shelter maintainer.
    I broke a mirror in my house. I'm supposed to get seven years bad luck but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.

Default Bobcat sighting

Stayed at this shelter night of Feb 3rd. Just went out for a overnight to test some new gear. Chilly night, but about 05:00 heard walking on the ice behind the shelter. The prowling was followed by that tell tale whine/cry a bobcat makes. Needless to say it took awhile to calm the girlfriend after waking up to the noise. Beautiful shelter, had a wonderful winter camp.

Beautiful spot, with some small, private, very nice tentsites quite close to the shelter so you can enjoy the spot but also have your own place to stay. One caveat: I saw one of the largest timber rattlesnakes I've ever seen very close to this shelter and these snakes generally live their lives within a mile and a half of their den; they also tend to be family oriented, so if you ever see one in a particular place, this means there are probably quite a few friends and relatives in the immediate neighborhood. So by all means enjoy this spot, but keep your eyes open when there.

GA-ME 78, sectional 81-01 HIKER7s's Avatar
    Images

Nice to hear the Bobcat is still around there
    I hiked that ridge Pop told me not to that morning.
    Each time out, I see that same ridge- only different.
    Each one is an adventure in itself. Leading to what is beyond the next- HIKER7s

Stopped for lunch this afternoon on a day hike. This is one of the nicest shelters I've come across. Jim, the caretaker, was there cutting up a log someone had left on the porch. I thanked him for his work maintaining the shelter and we chatted for about 20 minutes. I definitely recommend this shelter!

Still sweet!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++