WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Church in Montgomery Alabama

This Saturday night should be in or near Montgomery Alabama.

On my way to section hike the AT.

Can anybody recommend a friendly church to visit?

Also a safe place to sleep in car?
    Last edited by gracebowen; 09-27-2020 at 20:05.

FWIW - latest data from AL is not encouraging for elbow to elbow seating in a church or anywhere for that matter. Roughly a 12% positive test rate makes it iffy if simple cloth masks are doing much, presuming even that level of protection is being used by most people. You may want to look for a drive in theater that are becoming popular for services. Absent that, you may want to tune in on AM radio for services that should be available.

Avoiding crowds is up to you, though people you come in contact with on the trail will appreciate your effort to do so I'm sure.

Stay safe out there!

Images

+1 On what Traveler said. Several small churches in East Tennessee had opened up for in person services but have since closed back down due to Covid 19 outbreaks. Many had thought that rural areas had been bypassed but it is just now getting here. There have been several positive cases and a few deaths.

The church that I attend has been doing a drive-in style service broadcast over a low powered FM signal to cars in the parking lot. You might do a Google search to find if someone in the area you will be visiting is providing this type of service.

Leonidas

I live in Alabama and I wouldn't sleep in a car anywhere in Montgomery. You would probably be better off continuing down i-85 to Auburn and pulling off there. Several good churches there but I don't know if any are having in-person services currently.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I live in Alabama and I wouldn't sleep in a car anywhere in Montgomery. You would probably be better off continuing down i-85 to Auburn and pulling off there. Several good churches there but I don't know if any are having in-person services currently.
    Advice noted and taken.

If I go to church I will practice social distancing. I wont get within 6 feet of another person and if I do ill quickly move away.

If its too crowded and not possible to social distance I wont stay.

Trying to connect some dots here:
    Going to Walmart-OK
    Going to Post Office-OK
    Going to local Grocery store-Ok
    Going to church is DEFINITELY NOT OK.Welcome to America 2020 comrades.
    Here's an interesting factoid-
    My brother in law and his wife are both registered nurses at our local hospital.They both had a case of Covid 19 and he was hospitalized.He wanted to push the call button one night but decided to tough it out because he feared they would put him on a vent.Once that happens the chance of death are around 80% from what I have read.

He is at home now and relapsed with pneumonia.What is interesting is that they have an adult daughter with a heart condition who lives at home with them who has been exposed to their situation for several weeks now and has thankfully not succumbed to the disease.

I think if too much covid is discussed this thread might be closed so maybe no more covid stuff?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are churches in Alabama that are open and practicing safe distancing.

The church I attend has services in a gymnasium with individual seats. The seats are placed in groups so that families can sit together, and the groups are at least 6' apart.

It's smart to ask where you can sleep in a car before you try, because there are communities where that is illegal. I've also noticed over the years that more and more rest stops don't allow overnight parking either.

I have not been to AL but have often thought that a church parking lot might be a good overnight option if you call the pastor, explain your situation, tell them you plan on going to the service in the morning, and ask permission. I wouldn't be surprised if you get an invite to stay in a bed.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I have not been to AL but have often thought that a church parking lot might be a good overnight option if you call the pastor, explain your situation, tell them you plan on going to the service in the morning, and ask permission. I wouldn't be surprised if you get an invite to stay in a bed.
    But you still have to check state and local laws.
    I've read that many WalMart parking lots welcome overnight parking (like RVs).
    I know the WalMart in Sevierville (on the way to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg) used to welcome RVs to park over night in their parking lots.
    But then the local privately owned camp grounds realized they were loosing customers to those "free loaders".
    They lobbied the local government to pass a law (the details of which I do not know) that in effect made it illegal for RVs to park over night at WalMart regardless of WalMart's desire or granting of permission.

So the point is that you still have to do something to check local laws.
    Otherwise, your best bet might be to "target" a particular WalMart, given them a call and ask permission to spend the night in their parking lot. You figure if that WalMart is in an area where spending the night in the parking lot is illegal, the local management likely knows since I often see 18-wheelers parked at WalMarts.

I don't have specific recommendations, but I will say that my son lived in Prattville, ten miles north of Montgomery, and it is a very nice "small town." Small downtown a couple of miles off the interstate with some friendly restaurants and a nice brewery - might be an option if you want to get out of the bigger city. If you're a country music fan, though, the Hank Williams museum in Montgomery is worth a visit. Safe travels!

Quote Originally Posted by HighlandsHiker View Post
    I don't have specific recommendations, but I will say that my son lived in Prattville, ten miles north of Montgomery, and it is a very nice "small town." Small downtown a couple of miles off the interstate with some friendly restaurants and a nice brewery - might be an option if you want to get out of the bigger city. If you're a country music fan, though, the Hank Williams museum in Montgomery is worth a visit. Safe travels!
    I would love to check out the museum. Ill check out Prattville.

Its kinda hard to see little towns on maps from my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I somehow forgot about that. Thank you for the reminder.

My trip got moved up 2 weeks and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the deets to get ready.

Im almost ready. I start driving Friday.

Ummm. . . . no to driving south to Auburn to spend the night. That's in the opposite direction of the trail. That would be a waste of time.

I don't know because I've not had the experience, but I have heard that spending the night in the parking lot of the police station would be a safe place. Or you could stop in there and ask where would be a safe place to go. But I would not sleep in any parking lot in Montgomery.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailweaver View Post
    Ummm. . . . no to driving south to Auburn to spend the night. That's in the opposite direction of the trail. That would be a waste of time.

I don't know because I've not had the experience, but I have heard that spending the night in the parking lot of the police station would be a safe place. Or you could stop in there and ask where would be a safe place to go. But I would not sleep in any parking lot in Montgomery.
    Im not going to.

Auburn is en route from Montgomery to the AT, heading up I-85 towards Atlanta.

Grace, its pretty rare that a person would attend church in an unfamiliar location while on a long drive for vacation. It's encouraging that it means that much to you.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roper View Post
    Auburn is en route from Montgomery to the AT, heading up I-85 towards Atlanta.
    Grace, its pretty rare that a person would attend church in an unfamiliar location while on a long drive for vacation. It's encouraging that it means that much to you.
    My parents would always attend church on vacation, and I've done it a few times also. And I've visited churches in tourist areas, and learned that a LOT of the attendees were visitors - presumably on vacation.

But you're right, increasingly rare.

++ New Posts ++