WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Parking & Shuttle near Atkins

I would like to park in the Atkins, VA area and hike from Massie Gap back to the location.
    Any recommendations on a safe place to park and shuttles?

you have a bunch of hostels in that area and all are great.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossbowAT View Post
    I would like to park in the Atkins, VA area and hike from Massie Gap back to the location.
    Any recommendations on a safe place to park and shuttles?
    I'd like to revive this thread for March 2021. Advice? Names? Phone numbers?

I used to use Skip and Linda around the Atkin's area but Skip has passed away.

May be able to get Don Raines( whiteblaze member via ratface) or BUBBA to help out, you will have to research their phone numbers and jurisdictions. Also Lonewolf, whiteblaze member, does shuttle regularly.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Bubba - 276-730-5869, I am pretty sure you can park at the Barn Restaurant right by the I-81 exit. Don Raines - 540-921-7433. both are good, reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by blazercoach View Post
    I'd like to revive this thread for March 2021. Advice? Names? Phone numbers?
    when? i'm based in Damascus.

I've gotten a ride with Wolf a couple of times Atkins is a little far north for him. But if you're near and around Damascus, I HIGHLY recommend connecting with him!

Images

This is from last year's Companion. They did say they would let us leave a car there, but I don't know if that's a general policy. Worth a call. The alpacas are darn cute.

Long Neck Lair Alpaca Farm is 3/10 mile from access points to the Appalachian Trail (Atkins). Accommodations include tent sites $18 per person/night, bunkhouse $35 per person/per night, private room with bath $78 per person/night (inclusive of state and local taxes). Laundry and continental breakfast offered at no charge to guests staying at our farm. Amenities include Wifi, mail drop, limited shuttle service, farm store with some hiker resupply. 276-698-2079
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I used to use Skip and Linda around the Atkin's area but Skip has passed away.

May be able to get Don Raines( whiteblaze member via ratface) or BUBBA to help out, you will have to research their phone numbers and jurisdictions. Also Lonewolf, whiteblaze member, does shuttle regularly.
    Go to the WhiteBlaze home page: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php

Click on "Shuttle Providers".

All the information you will need is there as a free, downloadable PDF file that is regularly updated.

All of the shuttle, parking, hostel, etc., information is also included in the latest edition of WhiteBlaze Pages Guide Book, which is also listed on the home page. You can buy a hard copy, or electronic version.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++