WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mountain Laurel Designs pack cover

For the life of me I can’t figure out how to attach the pack cover and forget trying to get it on if it starts to rain. Can someone recommend a good universal pack cover that is simple and easy to to put on.
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate to your struggle. I have several pack covers and the Osprey cover is the easiest. I usually use my lightest pack cover but it takes me awhile to figure out despite having used it for several years. I try not to wait until the last minute to put it on.

Have you considered a poncho that covers both you and pack? A lot of people love them.

Or waterproofing the contents with a liner and forgetting the cover entirely...

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    For the life of me I can’t figure out how to attach the pack cover and forget trying to get it on if it starts to rain. Can someone recommend a good universal pack cover that is simple and easy to to put on.
    Thanks

I’ve got one that I like to use. I didn’t know what to do with the excess shock cord at first but then I saw this picture on the website. Cinch it down generously and take the shock cord tail from the bottom of the pack cover and clip in to the top of the pack cover across the back panel of your backpack. Then criss cross the shock cord twice and clip in across the back panel as well. Hopefully the picture describes this better than I can

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Or waterproofing the contents with a liner and forgetting the cover entirely...
    I think this would let your pack get saturated and perhaps be heavier?

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I can relate to your struggle. I have several pack covers and the Osprey cover is the easiest. I usually use my lightest pack cover but it takes me awhile to figure out despite having used it for several years. I try not to wait until the last minute to put it on.

Have you considered a poncho that covers both you and pack? A lot of people love them.
    I bought a frogg toggs poncho just for this purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    I think this would let your pack get saturated and perhaps be heavier?
    It's probably never going to get saturated with that much water. You could immerse most packs and shake off the vast majority of the water afterwards. I haven't carried a pack cover in... 25 years?

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    It's probably never going to get saturated with that much water. You could immerse most packs and shake off the vast majority of the water afterwards. I haven't carried a pack cover in... 25 years?
    That’s good to know. I think I’ll just ditch the pack cover and go with a liner bag and poncho.

I have some Packas on sale for $65 shipped.

http://www.thepacka.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    I have some Packas on sale for $65 shipped.

http://www.thepacka.com
    I’ve had a couple of Packas and I don’t think I will use anything else. The great thing about a Packa is the ventilation, even when zipped up. On a very warm/humid day, it’s easy to vent.

I left my last Packa hanging on the side of Eliza Brook shelter, and didn’t think of it until I climbed South Kinsman. After that climb I said no way am I going back after it. I reported it at Pinkham Notch, but I never got it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

++ New Posts ++