WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default Attention all southbounders

Alright, this whole southbounder forum is really quiet which is driving me crazy, where are you all at? There aren't many out there I know, but the ones that are should put their name down, when you are starting, maybe even a little something about yourself or why you want to hike the AT, especially southbound. My name is Ryan, I am from southern maine and hiking this trail runs through my mind constantly everyday. I am a carpenter but someday I want to make a living involving the outdoors. I want to go south for two reasons, one is that I won't be out of college until may 2007 (perhaps the biggest reason), the second reason is for the privacy, but not too much otherwise I wouldnt be posting this message. So come on all you southbounders, share some of your excitement with me!
    MEGA'07'

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Already one going in the 2006 Thru hiker forum.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12058

Images

man I always do that. sorry.
    MEGA'07'

if someone would pay my bills while I missed work I would go southbound!

Ryans got a good point, not much activity in here lately. There's gotta be some soon to be sobos in here that have questions!

Images

Well I did look in the 2006 thru hiker forum and most of what I found were people planning a sobo this year, so there must be a handful that are planning to start next year... Aside from the subject I am psyched that I got my federal tax return check, now I can go out and buy some gear and pretend like I am thru hiking this year, haha.
    MEGA'07'

Images

I'm still more than three months away from starting, so it feels as if there is loads more time to get ready. I try to get out and hike every weekend. I'm trying to resist the urge to buy more stuff, since I've got enough gear and clothing to do several AT hikes. (This is one of the benefits of being older and having accumulated lots of stuff.) I can't think of any pressing questions, other than the one which can't be answered until I get out there and do it. Or not. Which will it be?
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default Sobo

Maybe more will post as they get closer to departure. I haven't posted here because I don't really have any questions. Already have gear and it works well. I've not done much real planning but their isn't much to do realy. I need to rent a 4x8 to put my stuff in while I'm gone. Transportation to Baxter is more or less figured out. No maildrops. (I hate doing maildrops.) May do a couple on trail for places that have sketchy resupply options. All I'm concerned about is whether my overtime will last until the end of May. If not I may have to settle for going back out west and hiking the Colorado Trail again, dang wouldn't that be a shame. Probably starting end of June early July. Good Luck everyone.

when do southbounders generally end their hike at springer? is it in december? i run a camp in connecticut and i can not get time off till oct 15th, i was planing on going south from central virginia starting around the 20th of october and i have until the 2nd week of december or so. im looking to do the last 600 mi heading south. this is a ballpark figure im still planing this trek.......any input on the terrain from central virginia south.. i am a decent hiker and i am wondering if it would be possible to hike this stretch in the 6 to 8 week span i have......where would most sobos be around the mid of october......

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Most of my sobo questions have been answered. I am sure I will have a couple closer to my start date. I only need a couple of small gear items.

I don't get too many overnights in, I need to work as many days as I can at my job to get enough money to hike with. I am doing a back yard test tonight to test my cold weather setup. Should get in the 20's tonight.

Default SOBO Starts

Quote Originally Posted by mrmike48/4000
    when do southbounders generally end their hike at springer? is it in december? i run a camp in connecticut and i can not get time off till oct 15th, i was planing on going south from central virginia starting around the 20th of october and i have until the 2nd week of december or so. im looking to do the last 600 mi heading south. this is a ballpark figure im still planing this trek.......any input on the terrain from central virginia south.. i am a decent hiker and i am wondering if it would be possible to hike this stretch in the 6 to 8 week span i have......where would most sobos be around the mid of october......
    I think most start in June and July. Today I talked to a friend of mine living in Maine. And former thruhiker GAME '02. She told me she thinks an early SOBO season is possible. They have almost no snowpack up there right now and if this stays that way the opportunity for starts in May might be a possibility. Maybe I'll have enough saved up to start that early.

Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

I'll be heading out the first few days of June. Gonna make a week trip of the deal, as I'm driving from Indiana to Maine, with my best friend and brother, his dad, and another friend. Gonna see Niagra Falls, the Statue of Liberty, and NYC, then head up for a 3 man climb of Katahdin, a camp out and a farewell as I head South on my lonely (but not so much) trek to Georgia.

Have most my gear, just waiting on a few things such as stove, hammock, tarp, and MSR Miox to arrive this week. Other than that, it's grinding away 7 days a week unitl the end of May. The Trail is ever on my mind!
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ryan207
    Alright, this whole southbounder forum is really quiet which is driving me crazy, where are you all at? There aren't many out there I know, but the ones that are should put their name down, when you are starting, maybe even a little something about yourself or why you want to hike the AT, especially southbound. My name is Ryan, I am from southern maine and hiking this trail runs through my mind constantly everyday. I am a carpenter but someday I want to make a living involving the outdoors. I want to go south for two reasons, one is that I won't be out of college until may 2007 (perhaps the biggest reason), the second reason is for the privacy, but not too much otherwise I wouldnt be posting this message. So come on all you southbounders, share some of your excitement with me!
    It's because SOBO's don't have enough common sense to operate a computer and post on the internet.

I can't argue with that Austexs.

Images

yeah I have a camp up in Rangeley and this year is the record low for snow in recorded history I guess. There is nothing up there right now except for the ski resorts making snow. I think an early start is likely this year for '06' southbounders.
    MEGA'07'

Quote Originally Posted by Austexs
    It's because SOBO's don't have enough common sense to operate a computer and post on the internet.

hey Austexs its good to see you guys finally got electricity down there in Texas. Thanks for posting!

re early starts: No matter what the snow totals are, the Hunt Trail up Katahdin will not be open until Park personnel have hiked the trail themselves and the MATC does some trailwork. That won't happen before May 15th (a monday), and probably not for a few weeks after - at least. In '05 the first Ranger trip up the AT wasn't until June. Also remember early starts means high/fast water, wet trail, and the washed out bridge inside Baxter has not been rebuilt. Anyone planning a May start has to accept the fact they might not be able to summit Katahdin. I'll be up there dayhiking May 14th & camping on the 15th, and will report here about Trail conditions. I'll also probably hike sobo Abol Bridge to Monson/Caratunk the end of May. Watch Katahdin's snow melt: http://www.katahdincam.com/
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Musta notta gotta lotta sleep last night. Heater's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RITBlake
    hey Austexs its good to see you guys finally got electricity down there in Texas. Thanks for posting!
    Indoor plumbing too! Water comes right outta tha spigot!

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej
    re early starts: No matter what the snow totals are, the Hunt Trail up Katahdin will not be open until Park personnel have hiked the trail themselves and the MATC does some trailwork. That won't happen before May 15th (a monday), and probably not for a few weeks after - at least.
    I can atest to that. Last year we went up the abol trail. As we were making our way down we decided that the conditions weren't bad at all and that we could probably make our way down the Hunt trail (the AT). We did just that and on the way down we passed the ranger who was coming up to see if the trail was clear. It was a little wet but there was no snow or ice. Anyway, it was kind of an awkward moment passing the ranger on a closed trail. He was cool about it though. THe trail probably could have been opened a week before but nobody had been up to check.

Images

[quote=Austexs]It's because SOBO's don't have enough common sense to operate a computer and post on the internet. /quote]

On the contrary, it's because we're so organized and self-sufficient we don't have to clog the website with stupid questions.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++