WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Brassie Brook Shelter

Has any one been past Brassie Brook lately?

Is there water flowing in the brook?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by hikermiker View Post
    Has any one been past Brassie Brook lately?

Is there water flowing in the brook?

TIA
    From Guthook app.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, I was on Race Mountain and surrounding area two weeks ago and again yesterday (10/9/20). Two weeks ago streams in that area of the plateau were dry. Yesterday some of them had some minor flow activity with some light low spot ponded water in them indicating they need rain to start flowing. I suspect similar conditions exist south of there in the Brassie Brook area. Monday's predicted rain should improve those conditions.

Given observations on the Plateau north of Brassie Brook lately I would not expect water in brooks or streams on the plateau itself to be plentiful until we get some significant rain. Carrying in water for cooking, etc might be a good idea.

Water source for Brassie are the marsh areas to the west of the AT that run along the base of Gridley. If we get the predicted rain on Monday I think the Brook will recharge

FWIW Brassie Brook was flowing well. I passed by Pine Swamp Brook along Rt 7 and it appeared to be dry. There was a notation in the register that the spring at Riga Shelter was dry. On the way home I stopped at Limestone Spring and the spring there was flowing at a rate of one drop every two seconds.

++ New Posts ++