WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Stuff sacks and in pack orginazation.

I used to be a stuff it on in the backpack kind of person until I started to buy more expensive gear. Now I am more paranoid about it getting damaged. For giggles I stuffed my quit into my flat bottom food bag. I kind of like how it made it more square of a shape as opposed to a cylinder.

Anyhow, I ask because I am currently looking for a waterproof (probably going to go dyneema) rolltop bag for both quilt and tent.

Would a "square" bag be better for packing than a round bag?

“Better” is a personal choice. If it works in your system, then it’s better for you. Yay!

I found stuff sacks did not pack well and left a lot of unused space in a pack, so I stopped using them by and large. For things that cannot get wet like sleeping gear and dry clothes, I will use hefty bags (doubled up) and pack them to fit the space in my pack. So far no problems with this set up, though as Pringles said, if it works for you, go with it.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto on not using stuff sacks, and one trash compactor bag has always worked well for the stuff that needs to keep dry.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I stopped using stuff sacks to for the most part. My quilt or sleeping bag goes on the bottom of my pack in a hefty bag and my tent is typically on the outside bottom straps, that way I don't care if it's wet .

when you say hefty bags, you you mean the large ziplock type bags or trash bags? I think they actually sell a bag in the ziplock area that is really big... bigger than the quart freezer bags. I might try that

I am a "bit" of an "organizational freak" in some aspects. But I gave up on stuff sacks a while ago. I do use a small ziplock for my tiny first aid kit and personal hygiene items get a bag but the rest of the stuff is kind of free floating. I am actually thinking I need to not use my food bag except when hanging it as it can be pretty bulky (but light) when loaded for 5+ days. I used to use a trash compactor bag as others have indicated but when my air mattress was replaced with an eXped mattress it came with a "pump bag" which is actually a waterproof UL stuff sack so clothes and sleeping bag get stuffed into that now. I ditched the compactor bag. Other than that, I don't carry much and my pack has a couple of zippered pockets that allow me to organize - 1 on belt, top lid, and front of pack. Also have the ability to stuff things I may need quickly or often between the "outer pocket on the front of the pack" and the main pack.

But it took me a while to get to this and be comfortable with it. Also, will slightly change next year as I need to replace my pack and will get a different model. But the pockets might determine my choice as much as most anything else!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I use nylobarrier / nylofume bags as a pack line. Everything that needs to stay dry goes in there. They are lighter but tougher than compactor bags. Plus they are odor barrier bags so my quilt an clothes don't come out smelling like cheese and sausage. The food bag has its own odor barrier bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I found stuff sacks did not pack well and left a lot of unused space in a pack, so I stopped using them by and large. For things that cannot get wet like sleeping gear and dry clothes, I will use hefty bags (doubled up) and pack them to fit the space in my pack. So far no problems with this set up, though as Pringles said, if it works for you, go with it.
    Understand fully that stuff sacks tend to leave unused room in the space between the “tangents of the diameters”.

It seems to me though that by using stuff sacks, those items in the sacks are compressed much smaller, especially the sleeping bag.

Also I have enough pint size ziplock bags of various items that fit well into those unused spaces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by OhioHiker View Post
    when you say hefty bags, you you mean the large ziplock type bags or trash bags? I think they actually sell a bag in the ziplock area that is really big... bigger than the quart freezer bags. I might try that
    I typically use Hefty trash bags, doubled up. I place the first bag into the empty pack to receive the second bag of materials I do not want to get wet. It requires some care and attention and carrying a couple of spare bags, but seems to work well. I have been through amazingly soaking rains and a couple of slips into rivers and the bagged items were well protected.

I can't say I have seen the zip lock trash bags, but I have not looked for them specifically. I have used trash compactor bags when I can find the unscented bags.

I typically use Hefty trash bags, doubled up. I place the first bag into the empty pack to receive the second bag of materials I do not want to get wet. It requires some care and attention and carrying a couple of spare bags, but seems to work well. I have been through amazingly soaking rains and a couple of slips into rivers and the bagged items were well protected.

I can't say I have seen the zip lock trash bags, but I have not looked for them specifically. I have used trash compactor bags when I can find the unscented bags.
    I'm curious as to how or whether you put a closure on them as I have noticed that when I don't apply a closure I can compress the feathers and night clothes Significantly more and avoid having to hang stuff off of the pack.So when the weather is good I don't use a closure;never tried not closing tightly on a rainy day though.Thots?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use a few stuff sacks for organization of smaller items.
    Otherwise, like others have suggested, I use a (scent free) trash compactor bag as a pack liner. My sleeping bag, sleeping pad, and clothes get stuffed inside the compactor bag. Food goes inside a waterproof sack on top of the compactor bag along with cooking gear. Everything to deal with a cat hole goes in one stuff sack that goes in the packs "brain" pocket along with another waterproof sack for my first aid kit. Misc items I rarely use (repair kits, extra twine, spare batteries) are loosely organised in one stuff sack, while toiletries and other things used on a daily basis (flashlight) are loosely organised in a second sack. The last two sacks either go in an outside-back compartment ironside the main compartment in corners above the compactor bag (location depends upon which pack I carry).

I found stuff sacks did not pack well and left a lot of unused space in a pack, so I stopped using them by and large.
    Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Ditto on not using stuff sacks, and one trash compactor bag has always worked well for the stuff that needs to keep dry.
    Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I stopped using stuff sacks to for the most part.
    I find these comments remarkable as I'm trying to imagine all my food just scattered loosely in my pack without putting any of it in a stuff sack.

To be fair though, Tipi - most of us don't have nearly the volume of food that your pack does. I can toss all my food in one reasonably sized bag for 3-4 days. Your food bag is probably twice the size of my entire pack.

Journal Entries
    Images

I could never keep track of all the small stuff — bottle of deet, lighter, bear bag stuff, ear plugs, tent pegs, spoon, water purification hoses, knife, credit card, tick removal instruments, flash light, etc. without stuff sacks.

Even in the days when packs had a gazillion pockets.

You guys are good!

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    To be fair though, Tipi - most of us don't have nearly the volume of food that your pack does. I can toss all my food in one reasonably sized bag for 3-4 days. Your food bag is probably twice the size of my entire pack.
    Here's my current food load for an 18 day trip in October.
    P1000003.JPG
    Right red bag is main food bag and fits inside pack on top of sleeping bag in its stuff sack.

Middle two bags are Seek Outside sacks with one containing 36 granola bars (two per day) and the other contains hefty bags of Quinoa and Oatmeal and 5 meals of vegan mac and cheese.

Left green bag is overflow bag for light items like bread and corn chips etc.

Missing is a big plastic jar of vegan mayonnaise and one jar of peanut butter.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I stopped using stuff sacks to for the most part. My quilt or sleeping bag goes on the bottom of my pack in a hefty bag and my tent is typically on the outside bottom straps, that way I don't care if it's wet .
    I don't use stuff sacks for the most part. Of course my food is organized in ziplocks and all food goes into my hang bag. And a ziplock for medical and hygiene purposes. And im out for about a week at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I could never keep track of all the small stuff — bottle of deet, lighter, bear bag stuff, ear plugs, tent pegs, spoon, water purification hoses, knife, credit card, tick removal instruments, flash light, etc. without stuff sacks.

Even in the days when packs had a gazillion pockets.

You guys are good!
    I can't say I use -zero- stuff sacks these days. Just a lot fewer than I used to.

I've hiked a lot of miles and also can't imagine not using a food bag, if for no other reason than to ensure nothing breaks open and spreads a lot of food smells throughout my pack. I use a compactor bag for my quilt/sleeping bag, puffy and clothes. I then put my food bag, and everything else bag (electronics, toiletries, etc.) on top of the compactor bag. Then I stuff my rain jacket, wind jacket, rain pants, around those two bags. My tarp/tarp-tent gets stuffed in the outside pocket of whatever backpack I'm using.

I have a quart size plastic zip bag I call my BUMMER bag. That stands for Back Up, Medical, Maintainance, Emergency, Repair. It's all those little things you need to have, but not on a daily basis. Generally, I only use it when something has gone wrong. That's a bummer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++