WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cades to Spence Field Shelter

Heading up for an overnight at Spence Field Shelter tomorrow from Cades Cove via Russell Field Trail and the AT. We will be hiking back to Cades via the Bote Mtn Trail.
    Got a few options there. We could go back via Anthony Creek Trail, Lead Cove Trail, Finley Cane Trail, Schoolhouse Gap Trail to Turkey Pen Ridge Trail to
    Crib Gap Trail and back to Cades. I think we have hiked the Finley Cane Trail before which was quite nice an we wouldn't mind hiking it again. But just curious if anyone has
    any thoughts about the other trails.

Thanks, Squeeze
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

(Your return route doesn’t flow for me, I think you mean Bote Mtn. instead of Anthony Creek?).

I love the Finley Cane/Schoolhouse Gap/Turkey Pen Ridge loop. It’s a pleasant, easy to moderate hike and I think you’ll enjoy adding those extra miles.

You could skip Lead Cove and Finley Cane and continue down Bote Mtn and cross the road to Schoolhouse Gap. It seems more straight forward. Lead Cove is ok but it’s not my favorite trail.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 10-12-2020 at 18:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    (Your return route doesn’t flow for me, I think you mean Bote Mtn. instead of Anthony Creek?).
    Yes, I wasn't clear on that. I was planning on Bote Mtn down to Anthony Creek or one of the other trails off Bote Mtm. Thanks for your input. I'm thinking we will hike down to Schoolhouse Gap and then take Turkey Pen Gap and Crib Gap Tr back to Cades. A nice 13 miles.
    "The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail. Travel too fast and you miss all you are traveling for." - Louis L'Amour

Have a great time and let us know how it went.

++ New Posts ++