WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default High Point State Park HQ Parking

What's the deal. Can we park overnight there as of now?
    (This is in NJ, mile 1338.9).

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Here's the horse's mouth

This link should help:
    https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksand...point.html#app
    "Overnight parking is located at the Appalachian Trail Parking Lot on Route 23 just South of the Park Office. A permit is required and can be obtained during Park Office business hours. This is the only designated overnight parking for the AT in High Point State Park."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    This link should help:
    https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksand...point.html#app
    "Overnight parking is located at the Appalachian Trail Parking Lot on Route 23 just South of the Park Office. A permit is required and can be obtained during Park Office business hours. This is the only designated overnight parking for the AT in High Point State Park."
    I saw a note on the website that said the park office is closed until further notice. I'll try calling in the morning, but in case I don't get an answer from the park office, can anyone confirm or rebuff the idea of parking there for a few days?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyPaper View Post
    I saw a note on the website that said the park office is closed until further notice. I'll try calling in the morning, but in case I don't get an answer from the park office, can anyone confirm or rebuff the idea of parking there for a few days?
    If the office is closed until further notice, it's unlikely there will be anyone there to answer the phone. If the office is closed, maybe the park is too. In which case, there might be a locked gate on the access road. Kind of risky to drive all the way there just to find out you can't. You might want to look for alternative parking places.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There's a hostel in Port Jervis, NY, just four miles from the park HQ. Mosey's Place (845-239-3028) but not sure if she's open. If she is, you hit the jack pot. A super nice lady and a former thru hiker. I'm sure she will be willing to help.

I hike through High Point a couple weeks ago and can confirm that the office was definitely closed. I wouldnt try to park at the office overnight. I would park at the Parking area a short distance down the road. I would say that that is a safer bet than the office. As far as who to call? You can try calling the Wawayanda office, they have been open and may be able to tell you. I'm pretty sure the rangers there bounce back and forth between parks.

The number is (973) 853-4462

Just an idea.
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

Images

I just hiked through there last week. The park office is indeed closed, but I think the parking lot is open. It is about 1/4 mile east on NJ 23 and there is a blue blaze that takes you from the parking lot to the AT.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

FWIW: I did my hike and parked at the AT parking lot for 4 nights with no issues. There were many other cars there, seemingly having no issues either.

If the office is open in time for my next hike, I'll happily comply by registering my car. For now, it appears no one is going out of their way to make life difficult for anyone who is using the parking lot for it's purpose while the registration mechanism is not available.

++ New Posts ++