WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

If the horses are getting spooked by a hat, they too are unqualified to be on the trail.
    Horses tend to shy from things they dont recognize... Usually no matter how strange you look, SPEAKING,,, greating of the day for instance, will eliminate 90% of the human/horse interaction. They hear your voice and recognize it as human,, so they ignore you. The ones that wont shouldnt be on trail.
    Goes both ways,, other trail users have some responsibilities, but so do the animal owners.
    One of the things I like about endurance horses,,, most have seen it all and arnt phased. I do all my training in public parks with trails shared by bikes, joggers, women pushing those 3 wheeled jogging baby carriages. Those are freaky to alot of horses.
    Alot of people want to freeze and step off trail,,, usually that makes things worse.

Sadly I do have a few aquainteneaces in my riding circles that expect the world to walk on egg shells because they are on a horse.... Honestly you cant expect that on a public trail, and said rider/horse combo shouldnt be there.

Vast majority of dog issues I have had on trail, dogs wernt really being aggressive but horse doesnt know that and can create a very dangerous situation when the dogs run at or under the horses. Seems they always want to run around to their back legs, Some horses will try to spin to keep them head on, some like mine have really good rearview aim,
    Have had more than 1 conversation with an off leash dog owner that went like this.

Me: "get your dog he's sposed to be on a leash"
    "Oh fluffy wont bite"

WACK !!!!! dog gets drop kicked end over end.

Me: I wasnt worried about my horse getting bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    "Oh fluffy wont bite"

WACK !!!!! dog gets drop kicked end over end.

Me: I wasnt worried about my horse getting bit.
    Sad but hilarious. You sound like a good ambassador for horse people

Is it raining yet?
    Images

That's called street justice!
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Thanks,Traveler.I was once informed that it was my head gear that triggered their precious doggie.Well,I was COLD!
    Well,excuuuuuuuuuussssssssssseeeeeeeee me for triggering doggie!
    Once a lady told me the reason her unleashed large dog was growling and snapping at me was "he is only doing that because he smells your fear". Funny thing is I wasn't scared until he started growling and snapping. Amazing the excuses people make up for explaining why it isn't their dog's fault for its aggressive behavior.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Good idea to get contact info! I never thought of that. Its those little dogs you have to watch, sneaky and fast. Big dogs typically make their intentions clear.

I protect myself/people I am with at all cost. Ive had to kick a dog or two.. the reaction from the owners is priceless! Ive noticed that if you stand your ground usually "family pet" type dogs of any size will back off. You might need to be more assertive than "No!" and "Stop!".

I was a meter reader at a utility company for many years and had more than anyones share of bad dogs. I got bit once by a sneaky small beagle! got me on the calf as I was leaving the yard! Its amazing how much blood comes out of a puncture wound... anyhow I finished my route! . I also got chased by 2 collies... other than that I respected them and they seemed to respect me... as long as the owner wasn't outside... then its completely different.. Ive been in many situations were the dog would be outside in the yard by itself, we would play and be happy... then the owner seeing me from in the house and thinking he is protecting me from his aggressive dog, comes out side to retrieve fido... Ive seen the switch flip.. from playful to "must protect owner". Didn't turn out well for me every time it happened..

To this day I don't give any pet on trail ANY attention. I definitely don't ignore them. I look at the dog and make sure it sees me, then continue on.. sort of a visual "I see you, I mean no harm". I love dogs, but not other peoples...

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropdeadfred View Post
    "Oh fluffy wont bite"
    WACK !!!!! dog gets drop kicked end over end.Me: I wasnt worried about my horse getting bit.
    My variation on that theme when Fluffy is growling at me:
    Dog owner: "don't worry, my dog's friendly"
    Me: "I'm not"I get interesting reactions to that!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++