WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

I just want to ask a question about bear spray, does it really work? I never had to use it but I have only hiked locally in PA like sections of AT.
    Not too long ago there was a video of a charging bear, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9aEaESfL0 luckily there were other people shouting which I assume it helped but can you imagine if you were alone? That bear would have not stopped!

...and so would Bear spray help? thats why I think I prefer to carry a gun, whether dog, bear ect.. I think Id feel safer with a gun.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Here's your answer

so would Bear spray help? thats why I think I prefer to carry a gun
    When I say Stephen Herrero has written the book on bear attacks, I mean that LITERALLY
    https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-.../dp/158574557X

Here's his opinion on bear spray vs gun.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/189930...-charging-bear

Feel free to ignore science, truth, and facts if you like.

The thing about bear spray is you don't have to have really, really good aim.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just my personal opinion of course but on the east coast in black bear country I don't think you need anything . But I think bear spray would be efficient for any dangerous situation. Them bear sprays go something like 10-12ft and a big spray, probably the biggest concern would be the wind. But a good bear spray would certainly deter a bear, dog, a rabid animal, a rabid human etc.

Images

Found this interesting read on bear spray:

In March 2012, the Journal of Wildlife Management published Tom Smith and Stephen Herrero’s “Efficacy of Firearms for Bear Deterrence in Alaska.” The paper’s prosaic title didn’t prevent it from grabbing headlines around the country. For the first time, bear researchers had provided compelling statistical evidence that firearms were less effective in protecting individuals against bear attacks than many folks previously believed, including the researchers themselves. Among their conclusions were 1) that “firearm bearers suffered the same injury rates in close encounters with bears whether they used their firearms or not,” and 2) that “bear spray [has] a better success rate under a variety of situations ... than firearms.”

Quote Originally Posted by Fëanor View Post
    I just want to ask a question about bear spray, does it really work? I never had to use it but I have only hiked locally in PA like sections of AT.
    Not too long ago there was a video of a charging bear, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7g9aEaESfL0 luckily there were other people shouting which I assume it helped but can you imagine if you were alone? That bear would have not stopped!

...and so would Bear spray help? thats why I think I prefer to carry a gun, whether dog, bear ect.. I think Id feel safer with a gun.
    And not to be mean but if you're that worried about bears on your local hikes in PA that you have to carry a gun maybe you should find another hobby . Or a slower hiking partner.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Found this interesting read on bear spray:
    I carry CounterAssault Bear Spray because I am a lousy shot.Remember to aim low when you spray as the cloud will rise up and envelop the target.

...luckily there were other people shouting which I assume it helped but can you imagine if you were alone? That bear would have not stopped!...
    Not at all sure how you came to this conclusion. The people filming from some distance away were telling the people not to run (which was correct). They should have also told them to stay together (which they didn't). The shouting didn't help, only because the people weren't listening. I see no reason to conclude that the bear would not have stopped I'd you were alone. Bluff charges are most common, and that happens when the bear is much closer than the video. The research shows that bear spray is the most effective option if you are worried, but learning about bestest should be the number 1 priority.

This is what I know of the differences between black bears and grizzlies and if I'm wrong, I would be happy if someone corrects me: The average weight of a male black bear is about 300-400 lbs, a grizzly is more like 800 lbs. Black bears are timid and for the most part avoid humans, grizzlies are fearless. Black bears are mostly scavengers and occasional predators, grizzlies are equally scavengers and predators. That is why I have no issue hiking solo on the east coast, but never in grizzly country.

As the Alligator would say, this thread is about dogs on the trail not bears...

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    When I say Stephen Herrero has written the book on bear attacks, I mean that LITERALLY
    https://www.amazon.com/Bear-Attacks-.../dp/158574557X

Here's his opinion on bear spray vs gun.
    https://www.outsideonline.com/189930...-charging-bear

Feel free to ignore science, truth, and facts if you like.

One thing about good science is reevaluating hypotheses as new information or understanding comes forth.

Of possible interest:

https://www.ammoland.com/2018/02/def...#axzz5y0ItOjaW

Journal Entries
    Images

Though I hope it would go without saying, the risk posed by a black bear on the AT and a grizzly in AK are not in way comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    As the Alligator would say, this thread is about dogs on the trail not bears...
    My bad.....

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Though I hope it would go without saying, the risk posed by a black bear on the AT and a grizzly in AK are not in way comparable.
    Yes,yes,yes!!

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    My bad.....
    Mine too....

Is it raining yet?
    Images

I would love to see the look on a dog owner's face when you spray fido with bear spray.
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    And not to be mean but if you're that worried about bears on your local hikes in PA that you have to carry a gun maybe you should find another hobby . Or a slower hiking partner.
    Not worried at all!! all these round and about questions are for answers and opinions from more knowledgeable hikers than me... Ive always wondered what to carry Bear spray or a gun as my hiking expeditions are getting bolder.
    Have plenty of guns in the house just collecting dust..

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    I would love to see the look on a dog owner's face when you spray fido with bear spray.
    LUL ...maybe hit the owner too while at it? ....just saying
    Last edited by Fëanor; 10-30-2020 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    This is what I know of the differences between black bears and grizzlies and if I'm wrong, I would be happy if someone corrects me: The average weight of a male black bear is about 300-400 lbs, a grizzly is more like 800 lbs. Black bears are timid and for the most part avoid humans, grizzlies are fearless. Black bears are mostly scavengers and occasional predators, grizzlies are equally scavengers and predators. That is why I have no issue hiking solo on the east coast, but never in grizzly country.
    While we are drifting. The only time I would carry something would be if I ever go into griz country i mean real griz country.
    Like Alaska, Kodiak or whatever where the grizzlies are walking around like black bears walking around GSMNP .
    The size of a soda machine and 6" claws and k-9's.
    That's when I would have bear spray on one side and a 44 on the other side.

LUL ...maybe hit the owner too while at it? ....just saying
    While my can of gas does say Bearspray on it,I tend to think of it as "dog and people" spray.Would not hesitate to use it on either if the circumstances dictated such.Getting back to dogs on the trail though;I wish people would leave the dog at home as nobody enjoys being harrassed by a dog whether it bites or not,and that would include overly affectionate dogs as well.......

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++