WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Lots of "campfire" conversations about this issue, which typically boils down to "use the proper tool" for the job. I have not run into anyone carrying bee spray (outside of trail maintainers) nor has anyone I have had conversation with advocated it.

Though manufacturers vary, pepper spray sold as personal protection devices has approximately 1-million SHUs (Scoville Heat Units that indicates the amount of capsaicin or "heat" potency in peppers). The delivery system is a directed single stream from arms length up to 12 feet that and is capable of delivering multiple "shots" of spray as needed. It can be carried in a holster or pocket, making it easy to reach if needed. There are approximately 10 to 15-seconds of spray in these cans (varies with size) allowing multiple "shots" against assailants. Disadvantage to this spray used on bears is how close the bear has to be before the spray can be effectively deployed as a stream.

Bear spray has approximately 3-million SHUs, making around 3-times more potent than pepper spray. As it relates to bears, the potency gets their attention pretty fast and will typically stop them. The delivery system is highly pressurize to release a cloud of spray toward the bear from 20 to 50 feet away (depending on wind direction) that the bear runs into as opposed to a single stream of 10 or so feet aimed at the nose of a charging bear . There are approximately 8-seconds of spray in most cans (varies with size) allowing a few discharges of 2 - 3 second each. The disadvantage to this spray is wind direction and wind drift back to the user that will quickly incapacitate them.

There are potential legal issues that can be involved with the use of either pepper or bear spray on humans, if carrying either (or both) you should understand the legal use parameters prior to use.

I think I read on my can of Counter Assault that it can cause blindness in humans so you aren't supposed to spray people with it.Maybe I am demented but other humans aren't supposed to be doing things that would cause someone to feel the necessity of using bear spray on them either.One thing to be sure of,there will likely be a civil suit if someone got blinded by it and they would claim to be the victim.

My one sketchy encounter on the trail...section hike last year in Virginia, heading south ending at Damascus. I stopped for a snack...was beside a road; I know never to camp near roads, and never do...but this was middle of the day; and a very isolated road in Virginia, so I figured no cars would be coming by anyway; nice flat rock to sit and eat on. So, I'm eating, and a car comes along, pulls right up to me...initially I thought they were letting someone out to get on trail...but 2 people get out slowly, 1 a guy early 30s, shady looking guy, smoking a cig; the other was a gothic looking girl with ruby red died hair...she was wearing flip flops. They left the car running and slowly strolled the opposite direction from where I was. Was then I noticed that there was a 3rd guy, still in the car, sitting in the middle seat of the back seat. The other 2 obviously weren't hikers. To this day IDK why they were going into the woods....there was one of those cans that has the wood chippings mulch in it, that asks you to carry some to the next privy...I didn't look in it, but I've wondered since if there was some kind of drug drop off. IDK. I'll never know but they weren't there to hike. I had tried to make a little small talk when the guy got out and said the trash around wasn't mine, to which he replied "Hell YEHHH".

I had with me my pepper spray and knife...but I packed up as quickly as possible and hiked at the fastest pace I could; for the next 45 min I was constantly looking behind me; this area was so remote I wouldn't have been found for weeks, months, or maybe ever. They had to have known I had a little cash with me, which I did, I usually bring about $100 cash; or my debit card; or if nothing else gear that's expensive and could easily be sold. After about 45 min I felt confident they weren't following me.

This was my mistake...I know things happen near roads. But this was mid day; and I wasn't camping. Still, I got careless. Never again will I take a break alone near a road.

I always carry something,pepper spray, a handgun. Not so much for people as for large aggressive dogs. I`ve been attacked several times

this post sums it up

not sure how many female hikers are highly skilled fighters

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
++ New Posts ++