WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dick's Creek to Winding Stair Gap Section Hike

I am looking to do this over 4 days. I do not really want to leave my car anywhere and was gonna have the wife drop me off and pick me up, but thinking of getting a shuttle. Any recommendations? I am trying to stay at shelters, but I camp around shelters and not in them, mostly for the privy/water sources nearby. It is not a "must" to camp at a shelter if there are some good spots that you may be aware of. Thanks!!!

Journal Entries

Ron Brown has shuttled us in that area at least 3 times. He's very knowledgeable and reliable.
    706-669-0919

If Ron Brown doesn't work out, Ron Haven based in Franklin might be another option.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Thanks, I will give the Rons a call. I found this old thread, thinking of doing the mileage the same way:
    https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/sho...ding-Stair-Gap

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    1) 5 miles to Plum Orchard Gap Shelter
    2) 12 miles to Standing Indian Shelter
    3) 16 miles to Long Branch Shelter
    4) 7 miles to Winding Stair Gap

This would let you have short first and last days in case you want to work in any travel. It also lets you avoid Muscrat Creek Shelter which is an old shelter in damp environs. I would also prefer the newish Long Branch Shelter and its environs to Rock Gap Shelter and its close-to-a-road locale.

If you need to shorten day 3 you could end day 2 at the top of Standing Indian Mountain (it's a dry camp -- bring water), 1.5 miles past Standing Indian Shelter. That would mean about 13.5 miles on day 2 and 14.5 miles on day 3.

"The Rons" is all you need to know about shuttle options, both are very reliable and trail legends. Never personally used Haven but have only heard good things about the man.

As far as leaving your car at Dicks creek Gap it is about as good of a spot as any to stage a vehicle. Winding stair Gap is the same.
    I have left my vehicle on 60+ AT hikes from GA to ME and have never had a single issue. Clean the car out and leave glove box open if it makes you feel better.

Mileages: I find it best to divide my miles to hike by days of the trip and if that number is within my comfortable repeatable number of miles then I dont really concern myself with where I will stay until I get on trail. It just takes alot of the worry out of it bc in the end, it is more then likely going to change once on trail.

40 miles over 4 days: 10 MPD I would consider for ME a stroll and would not fret about where i would be sleeping. But HYOH, YRMV
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Ending up parking at Dick's. I had to grab the last spot and parked on the ditch close to the road between two road signs. Was worried it would be vandalized and/or given a ticket. Got back and neither!!! Yah!!! First day stayed at Bly. Super windy and cold (lows were down to mid 30's). Made it to next shelter and used the privy there next morning, lol. 2nd day stayed at Beech Gap, same thing, used the privy at next shelter. 3rd day stayed at Long Branch shelter. 4th day made it to Winding and Ron Brown picked me up. Highly recommend him. Good guy.
    PXL_20201019_184018521-PANO.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jonjones88 View Post
    Ending up parking at Dick's. I had to grab the last spot and parked on the ditch close to the road between two road signs. Was worried it would be vandalized and/or given a ticket. Got back and neither!!! Yah!!! First day stayed at Bly. Super windy and cold (lows were down to mid 30's). Made it to next shelter and used the privy there next morning, lol. 2nd day stayed at Beech Gap, same thing, used the privy at next shelter. 3rd day stayed at Long Branch shelter. 4th day made it to Winding and Ron Brown picked me up. Highly recommend him. Good guy.
    PXL_20201019_184018521-PANO.jpg
    Glad you had a great trip! Surprised to see privies open. I had heard they were closed.

Nope, all were open that I saw.

++ New Posts ++