WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default NJ/NY Deli Tour.... suggestions

Hey! I’m planning a section hike next year to complete New Jersey and New York. I’ve heard hiking through those states is like a “deli tour”! 😂😋. What are your suggestions on “must stops” for food close to the trail, and other must see sites/excursions? Also,, would love to resupply about halfway through. Suggestions on best place to pick up a package. I have an older AT Guide, and Gutooks, so ideas are floatin, but would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Bellvale Farms Creamery for the best ice cream of your life on route 17A, NY is a "must stop". Otherwise, Mohican Outdoor Center has decent sandwiches, Unionville, NY for a great pizza. I heard Bear Mountain Inn in Bear Mountain State Park, NY reopened. If so, I would stop for a hearty breakfast. The farm store on route 94 NJ has home made pies and nice selection of fresh fruits and vegetables.

Otherwise, I would recommend to spend the night at West Mountain shelter (bring your own water) for best NYC skyline view in the morning, before the pollution takes in.

Journal Entries
    Images

The deli on the AT just south of Greymore has a color TV in the restroom.

Just saying.

There's a bar and grill about 100 yards off the trail at a road crossing. Forget exactly where though.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Check out the Sunrise AT Deli

The Bear Mountain Inn is open, but not serving any food. Delis at Rte. 9 (on trail), Rte. 52 (.3 East), Rte 22 (.5 East). You can order pizza or Chinese for delivery from the RPH shelter. Just completed that section a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouser999 View Post
    Check out the Sunrise AT Deli
    Sunrise AT Deli permanently Closed this September the day before I hiked past.

I recommend going up route 206 about .2 and stop in at Gyp's Tavern. And in Unionville, definitely stop in at Wit's End Tavern for some of the best ribs and burger you can get! Then definitely stop at Belvale Creamery, the Ice Cream and the View are really great and there is a hot dog cart between the trail and the creamery. in NY, there is a Deli/Gas Station that has some great sandwiches. You can also do some re-supply there. For the life of me can't remember the name though. Either way, its right on trail at a road intersection.
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

Images

Belvale Creamery and Gyp’s Tavern are must stops. The hot dog cart before Belvale Creamery is also a great place. Three people in our trail family got food poisoning after eating at the Mohican Outdoor center so be cautious there.

Images

Belvale Creamery and Gyp’s Tavern are must stops. The hot dog cart before Belvale Creamery is also a great place. Three people in our trail family got food poisoning after eating at the Mohican Outdoor center so be cautious there.

Gyp's tavern. That's the place I was thinking of.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++