WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Hashbrown Potatoes

I have to try these soon:

Hashbrown Potatoes

Just add water to hydrate:

hash browns.pnghttps://www.amazon.com/Idaho-Spuds-P...ef_=ast_sto_dp

Looks good with some ova easy freeze dried eggs , just add water as well. The perfect protein and carb meal.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I have to try these soon:

Hashbrown Potatoes

Just add water to hydrate:

hash browns.pnghttps://www.amazon.com/Idaho-Spuds-Potato-Gluten-Hashbrowns/dp/B079H5B8DQ?ref_=ast_sto_dp
    Ordered! Looks delicious.

I eat these from time to time and they are pretty good. I keep some in the pantry just in case I get a hankering for hashbrowns.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...tatoes/1430591
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

A little dehydrated onion, a clove of garlic, and some olive oil. Or some ramps if you're lucky!
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

I buy the Hungry Jack brand for home consumption. They are rehydrated with boiling water, but then they are to be sauteed in oil over high heat to brown them, else you're just eating boiled grated potatoes. Not very palatable. Trust me, you want that caramelization.

Other major downsides: unseasoned, so S&P + Heinz is desperately needed, and ketchup is v. heavy; it has no fat so caloric density is low to begin with; and they require a lot of water (+ fuel to boil the water) to rehydrate.
    Last edited by blackmagic; 10-22-2020 at 13:29.

That's what I forgot to add, a little Sazón!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    That's what I forgot to add, a little Sazón!
    I never heard of saz'on, so good ole Google says it's a Spanish seasoning with a distinctive savory taste with a hint of brown , red hue.a garlicky spice, salt,cumin, coriander, garlic and oregano. I'm gonna have to put that on the grocery list.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by blackmagic View Post
    Other major downsides: they require a lot of water (+ fuel to boil the water) to rehydrate.
    The link that TexasBob gave says hot tap water is used to rehydrate 140degrees. Not much fuel used to heat to that temp. Use only enough water to rehydrate them.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    I never heard of saz'on, so good ole Google says it's a Spanish seasoning with a distinctive savory taste with a hint of brown , red hue.a garlicky spice, salt,cumin, coriander, garlic and oregano. I'm gonna have to put that on the grocery list.
    I use it on hash browns, home fries, and I like it on fried pierogis too. It'll be by the Goya products in the store. These two are both good.
    https://www.goya.com/en/products/sazon-with-saffron
    or this one
    https://www.goya.com/en/products/saz...er-and-annatto
    My brother had another brand that was good too but I don't remember the name.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    The link that TexasBob gave says hot tap water is used to rehydrate 140degrees. Not much fuel used to heat to that temp. Use only enough water to rehydrate them.
    I give them extra time to re-hydrate and drain any excess water (usually very little) then fry them crispy. More fragile than frozen or fresh so be gentle. To be honest I have only made them once on a car camping trip but many times at home. Salt, pepper and a little ketchup - breakfast heaven !!!!
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I use it on hash browns, home fries, and I like it on fried pierogis too. It'll be by the Goya products in the store. These two are both good.
    https://www.goya.com/en/products/sazon-with-saffron
    or this one
    https://www.goya.com/en/products/saz...er-and-annatto
    My brother had another brand that was good too but I don't remember the name.
    i prefer the Badia brand sazon over goya, if i can't find that then make my own its a simple spice mix...
    https://badiaspices.com/?s=sazon&pos...&type_aws=true

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    i prefer the Badia brand sazon over goya, if i can't find that then make my own its a simple spice mix...
    https://badiaspices.com/?s=sazon&pos...&type_aws=true
    That's the the better one my brother recommended.

So why buy it if it's simple?
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Not at all sure why the OP had to go to Amazon and link to a case of hash browns.
    These things have been sitting on the shelf at any decent grocery store since forever.
    That said, from a backpacking standpoint, instant Mashed Potatoes are much easier to prepare.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Not at all sure why the OP had to go to Amazon and link to a case of hash browns.
    These things have been sitting on the shelf at any decent grocery store since forever.
    That said, from a backpacking standpoint, instant Mashed Potatoes are much easier to prepare.
    Wayne
    Not at all sure why you want to quash his burgeoning interest? Were your potatoes cold this morning? Some people like to actually cook while backpacking.

I like mashed potatoes as an appetizer before backpacker dinner or as part of shepherd's pie. Not particularly a breakfast food for me though. Now a nice plate of olive oil crisped and seasoned hash browns, maybe a bagel and an orange even along with a cup or two of hot tea, I might not roll out of camp until 11!
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

, got me thinking. You take the same mashed potatoes and form little cakes ,ya know olive oil crisped and seasoned fried potato cakes. Some precooked bacon and ova easy freeze dried eggs, shoot you might not leave camp until noon!

That's the the better one my brother recommended.

So why buy it if it's simple?
    time more than anything...

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    , got me thinking. You take the same mashed potatoes and form little cakes ,ya know olive oil crisped and seasoned fried potato cakes. Some precooked bacon and ova easy freeze dried eggs, shoot you might not leave camp until noon!

EXACTLY! I just tried them based on this thread n man o man.... these things are great. It says 7 servings on the package but after I tried m I can see how you can get stuffed on them pretty fast... maybe 4 good helpings in each.

How about making latkies with it? just fry some oninons and add it to them, fry till nice n crispy.

Here is another great find.... Kraft Easy Mac n Cheeze in singles packs
    https://www.kraftmacandcheese.com/pr...ner-387-oz-box

It says to boil the noodles for 5 minutes or whatever... I just poured in the boiling warter n let it sit for 5 minutes then added in the mix and it worked great. It came in a box of 6 singles but now I see they have 18 packs in a box. AND ITS CHEAP!
    Last edited by camper10469; 01-01-2021 at 17:52.

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    EXACTLY! I just tried them based on this thread n man o man.... these things are great. It says 7 servings on the package but after I tried m I can see how you can get stuffed on them pretty fast... maybe 4 good helpings in each.

How about making latkies with it? just fry some oninons and add it to them, fry till nice n crispy.

It says to boil the noodles for 5 minutes or whatever... I just poured in the boiling warter n let it sit for 5 minutes then added in the mix and it worked great. It came in a box of 6 singles but now I see they have 18 packs in a box. AND ITS CHEAP!
    A friend of mine brings the mac-n-cheeze as an appetizer. He dumps them into a ziplock at home then cooks them in his cookpot or his cup. He's worked out the proper amount of water but I don't recall how much. If you have a scale at home you could weigh it before adding the water and then after.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post

One of my favs for sure mac and cheese and any kind of meat!
    (Literally)
    I'll take summer sausage and cut slices and slide them up a stick and toasty them over a fire and mix with Mac and cheese. Like you said cheap, hearty ,satisfying. Great carb protein mix as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++