WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

FYI, one of the major ingredients in the Goya version of Sazon is MSG. Knorr has a version with far less MSG.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    FYI, one of the major ingredients in the Goya version of Sazon is MSG. Knorr has a version with far less MSG.
    I'll keep an eye out for it to see how it tastes but as far as worrying about msg, that's an overblown concern for most people.
    https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-l...controversial.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

Not sure why, but these always seem to be hard (even at home), as they like to adhere to the pan they are frying in more than anything else. Just a thought if you haven't had them to try them out first, rather than finding out while on the trail and then having a pan to try to clean up or carry out dirty...

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    A friend of mine brings the mac-n-cheeze as an appetizer. He dumps them into a ziplock at home then cooks them in his cookpot or his cup. He's worked out the proper amount of water but I don't recall how much. If you have a scale at home you could weigh it before adding the water and then after.
    (Mac n Cheese) why repacking them in a zip loc? they are in already in sealed small packages.
    Last edited by camper10469; 01-02-2021 at 22:19.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Not sure why, but these always seem to be hard (even at home), as they like to adhere to the pan they are frying in more than anything else. Just a thought if you haven't had them to try them out first, rather than finding out while on the trail and then having a pan to try to clean up or carry out dirty...

Yeah try cooking them on your trail stove at home first but.... your flame may be too hot n burning the butter or oil; or you are trying to turn it before it crisps n thats why they would stick in the pan. Im using an aluminum pan over a giga power camping stove...no sticking on a low flame (keep it below burning butter temp) , just nice crisping. It takes longer that way but the results are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    Yeah try cooking them on your trail stove at home first but.... your flame may be too hot n burning the butter or oil; or you are trying to turn it before it crisps n thats why they would stick in the pan. Im using an aluminum pan over a giga power camping stove...no sticking on a low flame (keep it below burning butter temp) , just nice crisping. It takes longer that way but the results are much better.
    Yep low and slow is the way.

I like olive oil for the heat and non stick and I'll also mix in butter with the olive oil for the taste .

(Mac n Cheese) why repacking them in a zip loc? they are in already in sealed small packages.
    I think he would cook them not pour boiling water on them. At least half the container is air, so extra bulk.

I've eaten the mac-n-cheese at home but not on trail. I usually just keep stuff in cups like that myself although they tend to pop open when stuffed.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    I think he would cook them not pour boiling water on them. At least half the container is air, so extra bulk.
    I've eaten the mac-n-cheese at home but not on trail. I usually just keep stuff in cups like that myself although they tend to pop open when stuffed.
    what container?... these are in individual celophane packets with very little air... you must be thinking of something else.

you cook the noodles for 3 min n add in the cheeze mix packet. i make m in a paper cup n just let the noods sit in the boiled water for a few min n add in the flavor packet... that saves fuel. oh i like the sauce a bit thicker so i just use 1/2 cup water instead of 2/3rds

Images

We've been consuming mass quantities of those dehydrated hash browns on our car camping trips forever (and even at home, though frozen ones are even better), but it never occurred to me to try them backpacking! Thanks.

On our more luxurious BP trips (meaning heavier), we take a small 4-ounce skillet, butter, tortillas and dehydrated eggs/sausage and make breakfast burritos, adding hash browns would be fantastic.

The real key is finding a decent dehydrated green chili to smother this all... haven't found that yet!

rob... these?
    https://www.thrivelife.com/green-chi...eze-dried.html

i never tried it but it looks like what the doctor ordered.

what container?... these are in individual celophane packets with very little air... you must be thinking of something else.

you cook the noodles for 3 min n add in the cheeze mix packet. i make m in a paper cup n just let the noods sit in the boiled water for a few min n add in the flavor packet... that saves fuel. oh i like the sauce a bit thicker so i just use 1/2 cup water instead of 2/3rds
    My bad! I clicked the link but the bulk package looked a lot like the easy mac and cheese cups box, which I have bought a few times from Sams.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Images

rob... these?
    https://www.thrivelife.com/green-chi...eze-dried.html

i never tried it but it looks like what the doctor ordered.
    Well, that's a start. And one of the key ingredients, thanks!.

But "green chili" (meaning a soup-like dish, like red chili but utterly different, maybe what most on here call "chili") contains a lot of ingredients, like pork, oil, flour and chicken broth (<- I just learned all of this myself, my wife makes a fine green). We just haven't found a complete dehydrated green chili (the soup-like version), and have thought about experimenting with dehydrating our own. But we're lazy....

oooooohhhhhh Colorado green chhhh illlll eeeeeeee. hahahaha yuuuuummmmmmm. not just duh pep ahz.

this is what you want in freeze dry
    https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...i-chile-verde/

i wish!
    Last edited by camper10469; 01-04-2021 at 18:30.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Looks good with some ova easy freeze dried eggs , just add water as well. The perfect protein and carb meal.
    I had ova easy several times now since purchasing 2 cases. Used them with cheese...think spuds-n-cheese. Tomorrow I'll try some powdered eggs ova easy with spuds. It's time to start practicing

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I had ova easy several times now since purchasing 2 cases. Used them with cheese...think spuds-n-cheese. Tomorrow I'll try some powdered eggs ova easy with spuds. It's time to start practicing
    I picked up some of these spuds in a box recently I think they were hungry Jack brand, they just caught me eye walking by because this thread I've been kinda craving them. They make a surprising amount of taters and I would bring them out hiking just transfer to freezer bags.

As far as the ova easy freeze dried eggs yeah buddy! So good taste just like real eggs you make at home light and fluffy not dry and hard like dehydrated .

You'd probably want to fry the taters for a few minutes first and then when they're a couple minutes away from being done add your scrambled eggs to completion and throw on some shredded cheddar oh yeah.

Add a little of this when you fry up those hashbrowns. Not for the health food crowd but sure tastes good.

https://baconup.com/product/bacon-up/
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Add a little of this when you fry up those hashbrowns. Not for the health food crowd but sure tastes good.
    https://baconup.com/product/bacon-up/
    Just might get the large container so I can deep fry a whole turkey come summer ........summer will get here eventually

Bacon grease should add a nice touch to the turkey. I think I could taste it already

Hash browns make a great meal for car camping. But IMHO are not a good choice for backpacking as a lot of fuel is needed to get that crispy goodness.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mississippi_dan View Post
    Hash browns make a great meal for car camping. But IMHO are not a good choice for backpacking as a lot of fuel is needed to get that crispy goodness.
    If titanium frypan is used crispiness could come pretty quick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++