WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yellowstone National Park

I'm looking for a forum that can help me with planning a backpacking trip in Yellowstone. Any ideas?

I've done a couple of nice hikes in Yellowstone. Fundamentally I just look at the Nat Geo maps and a guidebook and create my own trip. My last trip was a point to point starting at Yellowstone lake following the Thoroughfare trail then connecting with the Atlantic Pacific trail and one other, leaving the park in the south. If interested I could dig out my notes and give more details. Very nice introduction to Yellowstone. Remember you need to reserve (with alternate dates) your campsites well in advance of your trip.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

It was a very long time ago that I spent a summer in Yellowstone. Back then it was hard to get a permit for a single person, they preferred a party of 4, but generally would be fine with 2. Grizzly issues you see. They figure with a party of 4, at least one will come out alive. Bear activity may influence where they will let you go.

Considering the size of Yellowstone, there really aren't that many trails and many of them would be out and back hikes. A nice point to point hike is through the Bechler Canyon from Old Faithful to just outside the park or all the way to the Tetons, depending on how much time you have.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks guys. It will be 5 of us and was thinking of something moderate like 5 miles to a campsite and back out the next day. I found one that looks good called Fawn Creek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Check the CDT topics
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Check the CDT topics
    Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    Thanks guys. It will be 5 of us and was thinking of something moderate like 5 miles to a campsite and back out the next day. I found one that looks good called Fawn Creek. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That looks as good a hike as any. Sounds like your just passing through and want to spend a night in the back country. Be sure to stop at all the tourist pull offs through the park while your there.

The Gallatin range is one of the more hilly parts of the park. Alltrails has the trail in their database and the map shows campsite locations if you zoom in. Looks to be an easy hike to the first set of tent sites out of Mammoth. Most of the hiking there is pretty easy, unless you decide to bushwhack up to the top of a summit. Can't really tell what the distance to the tent sites are, but looks to be in that 5 mile range. You are up at 8,000 feet, so the elevation maybe a factor.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Check out the southwest corner of the park. Very isolated, you just drive into he park after about 15 miles of gravel road. Lots of waterfalls.

I will be there three weeks but time for an overnight trip in Yellowstone and one in Grand Teton with the group. I will find a night to go out by myself in Yellowstone as well.

Quote Originally Posted by HankIV View Post
    Check out the southwest corner of the park. Very isolated, you just drive into he park after about 15 miles of gravel road. Lots of waterfalls.
    I will definitely do that

Check the Trip Reports and Trip Planning for Yellowstone at Backcountry Post . Com.
    https://backcountrypost.com/
    Have fun! It’s impossible to get enough of Yellowstone. We’re going back next year.
    Wayne

I live near Yellowstone, and go as often as I can. There is no single hike that “is” Yellowstone. When people come to visit me, I recommend that they see the Lower Falls of the Yellowstone, a thermal area, a big valley (with wildlife possibilities) and spend some time by one of the lakes (Yellowstone or Shoshone, or others, not Cascade). I love doing the one night night trips, because I can choose one or two of those goals, and have a great backcountry experience. People want to see “all of Yellowstone” on a backpacking trip, and honestly, it’s much easier to get the flavor of the place a bit at a time. That being said, carry bear spray. :-)

If you are on Facebook, join some Yellowstone fb groups, lots of info to be gained from FB
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

PS: You didn’t say WHEN you would be in the Park?
    May is nice but WET. Streams are high. Meadows can be soggy.
    May & June bear management restrictions are in force. Actual restrictions are listed online.
    My favorite time is September.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    PS: You didn’t say WHEN you would be in the Park?
    May is nice but WET. Streams are high. Meadows can be soggy.
    May & June bear management restrictions are in force. Actual restrictions are listed online.
    My favorite time is September.
    Wayne
    We will be there the first two weeks in August.

Following the discussion. I have not backpacked in YNP but read alot about it with the hope of getting there some day. Personally I would like go to a Backcountry geyser basin or Lamar Valley.

Following the discussion. I have not backpacked in YNP but read alot about it with the hope of getting there some day. Personally I would like go to a Backcountry geyser basin or Lamar Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by stilllife View Post
    We will be there the first two weeks in August.

All of the Backcountry Campsites are shown on detailed maps in the Backcountry Planning area of the YNP web pages. Best viewed on a large monitor. Use the map scale to find sites close to roads. 5 miles isn’t very far off the roads. You might have to stretch your distance a bit. Shoshone Lake and the Canyon Village Area might have a few sites in your preferred distance. Early reservations are a must.
    Where are you staying while in the area? We made our car camping reservations last February for next June. Many of the Campgrounds were already full.
    PS: YouTube videos of backpacking in YNP are plentiful.
    Wayne

Backcountry Planning. Link to campsite maps at the bottom of the page.
    https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvis...ntryhiking.htm

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++