WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Registered Troll
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree
    I seam seal the grommet hole area on each one now before I ship it out. CT
    Are you Mr. Packa? Why is it so expensive?

Default Expensive?

Well, I don't think it is that expensive. When you price a jacket and a packcover, you won't find too many decent products less than $110 for the pair.

However, to answer your question. It is currently so expensive because it is manufactured in the USA and at the numbers I buy, my costs are still very high.

Hopefully, if a big manufacturer licenses the Packa, or if I eventually get them manufactured overseas, the price will drop significantly.

Cedar Tree

Images

I recently bought a Packa, but haven't had a chance to use it yet. Hmmm, I don't think I've ever wished for rain before...
    Greg P.

Images

Wear it in the shower
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Quote Originally Posted by UGH
    I recently picked one up on ebay for pretty darn cheap.

I'm pretty excited that I will not have to loose sleep anymore wondering if it is going to rain while I'm on the trail...

Default Packa on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...121653977&rd=1

extra cheap, used, but still good.

CT

Just an update on my packa experiences - tried taking it as only raingear on a canoe trip - not a great idea, as when I was paddling, the pack got wet. Duh. However, two hiking trips have been great. I use the packa with Golite Reed pants, had more or less steady light rain - worked great. On another trip, was overtaken by a very sudden downpour including hail - was pretty damp by the time I got the pants and packa on. But all was fine, stayed comfy - eventually the rain stopped, left the pants on, slipped out of the sleeves of the packa, left it as a pack cover. When I got where I was going, everything was nice and dry in the pack, also did not have to hike in wet shoulder straps, hip belt, which was nice. Altogether, a very nice piece of equipment - several ounces less that my goretex REI jacket, and an overall contribution to dry comfort. Bill

Default Packa on Ebay

Your choice of color and size, brand new, currently at $10

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

CT

Default I wanna packa

Hello,

I saw your packa on ebay, and am extremely interested.

I am also extremely small and was wondering if that packa could be made to a custom size. At five foot tall, and only 105 pounds, i think even the small/medium would be way too big. I wasnt really seriously looking into replacing my raingear before i saw this, but having a pack cover and a rain coat that are far from lightweight made we wish i could. This just may give me the oppurtunity at a cost that i can actually afford (no way i could handle the 110 of a normal packa)

Thanks
    Pink

Default Packa on Ebay

I have placed a Packa on Ebay.

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-...5028482&lk=URL

Thanks,
    CT

Images

I finally got to use mine this Spring on a non-AT overnight. Cool and raining here in Maine, but the packa kept me warm and dry (except for the sweating part). Worked like a charm. I did have a tad of trouble getting it on at first, but with practice it went on pretty well; I used the wind to help put it on, like an extra hand. I liked being able to hide under it while getting snacks and stuff out of my pack during rest stops.
    Greg P.

My packa is still one of my favorite items...I just love having it on my pack, then when it starts seriously raining, just slip my arms into it...packing the pack is easier, no more double-bagging critical items. I think an ideal combo would be some sort of a featherweight windshirt for mere drizzles...but have not yet done that, just the packa over my normal hiking clothes or a Montbell thermawrap if its cold. bill

The Packa rocks. Everyone should have one. Easy to make your own too....

What size packa are people using? I'm 5'9", 165lb, and carry a full Golite Gust.
    Can't decide if a L/XL would be too big or the S/M too tight. Most reviews have been when one-size-fits-all was the only option. Other reviews do not mention size.

Default Packa Sizes

Rambler, you are right in the area where you could go either way on size. The pack cover section for both sizes is the same, about 4000 ci. I am 6ft 185 lb and I can where either size comfortably. The only real difference I can detect is sleeve length. The small have shorter sleeves by a couple inches.
    Thanks for all the postive posts.
    CT

Images

Default What about when not hiking?

Cedar Tree,

Was impressed with your product when we chatted at Trail Days (I was the one that had the WM bag; yep.. still have it and keeping it as a backup to my JRB quilts, sorry!)...

I do have a question for you and others who have used the Packa..

..trying to be consistent with minimizing gear... what happens when using the Packa as raingear around camp, town, e.g. not carrying a backpack? Doesn't the extra material hang down to low in the rear?

Love the idea for use while hiking; just think I would prefer a different solution for other times.

Interested in everyone's thoughts!
    VAMTNHIKER
    (Previously known as ScouterSteve)
    Thru-hiker Dreamer
    Near-term Section Hiker

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VAMTNHIKER
    ..trying to be consistent with minimizing gear... what happens when using the Packa as raingear around camp, town, e.g. not carrying a backpack? Doesn't the extra material hang down to low in the rear?
    ==============================================
    Well ...my packa is custom and has a smaller back section to cover my pack (Thank Cedar Tree !!) which cuts down on the excess. In any event, what I do is pull the draw string tight and it holds the extra material close to your back.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by VAMTNHIKER
    what happens when using the Packa as raingear around camp, town, e.g. not carrying a backpack? Doesn't the extra material hang down to low in the rear?
    I don't find that it bothers me at all. It may look silly, but I don't really care.

Doug

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

My packa is a medium so it may be smaller then others but the loose back really never seems to be an issue.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Default Extra Fabric

For the most part I've found the extra fabric not to be a problem when the Packa is worn without a pack. However, you do need to be aware of it in some cases. I hung the fabric on the bench of a picnic table one time, and it kept me from standing up.
    CT

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++