WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Although the Packa is my rain gear now, I did add an important modification. When wind blows rain straight at my front, the zipper leaks, causing a wet cold feeling against chest and mid-drif. Solution was to add a silnet lining on the inside just wide enough to cover the zipper. I thought of adding a waterproof zipper, but could not find one long enough. Another problem: I needed to get first aid gear out of my pack during a rain. Either I had to get wet or the pack gets wet. I have now decided to pack a rain-cover which I will use only if I have to take the pack off in the rain.

Another feature I like about the packa is its length. It covers the bottom of my shorts, so they stay dry.
    Last edited by Rambler; 07-08-2006 at 23:03.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler
    Although the Packa is my rain gear now, I did add an important modification. When wind blows rain straight at my front, the zipper leaks, causing a wet cold feeling against chest and mid-drif. Solution was to add a silnet lining on the inside just wide enough to cover the zipper. I thought of adding a waterproof zipper, but could not find one long enough.
    On my custom packas I place a zipper flap over the front zipper. I have also used the waterproof zippers with good success. Quest outfitters sells very long ones. The silnet is a good idea though, does that work pretty well?

Another problem: I needed to get first aid gear out of my pack during a rain. Either I had to get wet or the pack gets wet. I have now decided to pack a rain-cover which I will use only if I have to take the pack off in the rain.
    Yeah, this is the biggest issue with the packa. If you need in your pack, or away from your pack WHILE it is raining, something usually gets wet. I used to carry a whole nother jacket just for this problem. But now I place my tarp/tent fly in an easily accessable place on the side of my pack, a place I can reach, usually going through the pit vent, without removing the packa. I drape that over me and remove the packa and pack. Then You can then wear the packa and leave the pack covered if you need to walk down to a spring or something. However, in all my 5 years of hiking with the packa, this has only happened to me about 3 times. But, I guess one good soaking could make someone not like the Packa.

Another feature I like about the packa is its length. It covers the bottom of my shorts, so they stay dry.

Just got back from a LT section where it rained every day the packa performed magnificently. I was able to slip my arms out of the sleeves and able to take my pack off without removing packa. Also when wearing it as a jacket I used 2 small pieces of stick-on velcro to fasten the sag created when not carrying pack. Nice work on this Cedar Tree.
    E-Z---"from sea to shining sea''

Default Packa on Ebay

Thanks mcr237 (EZ), for the positive comments.

Packa on ebay. Custom made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Packa-Total-...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, CT

Default Packa News

ATTENTION WHITEBLAZERS-- commercial post alert

I will be at the Gathering in WV and I am having a BIG sale on new, old, and slightly defective Packas. Normally, my retail price on the Packa is $110.

At the Gathering only, my price will be $90 for the newest edition of the Packa, and $80 for the few (5) remaining old style Packas.

Plus, as an extra special Whiteblaze deal, if you give me the secret Whiteblaze handshake and password, or simply tell me you are a Whiteblaze member, I will reduce the price of any Packa $5 and donate $5 to Whiteblaze.net.

I will also have Packas available in breathable fabrics including eVent, Stormtech, and duravent (frogg toggs) at various prices.

Finally: Packa on Ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130032754512

Thanks, and looking forward to seeing everybody at the Gathering,
    Cedar Tree

Question More than duel use? Custom packa ideas?

Hey Cedar Tree,

I thought I would post this wild idea in case anyone else had the same thought. I have been considering getting either a packa or this: http://jacksrbetter.com/index_files/...ck%20Cover.htm.

Jeff's gear hammock and pack cover will not act as a rain jacket, but I could use it as a water bag and a sink. Do you think this is something that a packa could do as well? I would be happy to have a custom job is that would work.

Also, has anyone ever asked for a packa without a hood. I wear a tilley hat that I love and a hood just seems redundant, at least for me anyway.

Also, if it could be used as a water bag, why not a gear hammock as well. I don't want to encourage anyone to bite on anothers design, I think I am just looking for that anatainable piece of gear that does everything (slices, dices, julienne fries...).

Anyone else have any ideas of what else could be rolled into a custom packa? Thanks.

I thought about adding grosgrain loops onto my Packa to make it a gear hammock. It should be a pretty easy mod to do yourself. I didn't do it b/c I want easy access to my raingear after my shelter is up, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. (That would be no different than using a poncho/tarp as your only raingear/shelter.)

Default Packa Multi-Use?

Quote Originally Posted by Long feet View Post
    Jeff's gear hammock and pack cover will not act as a rain jacket, but I could use it as a water bag and a sink. Do you think this is something that a packa could do as well? I would be happy to have a custom job is that would work..
    I think Jeff's design, and the Jack's design are basically the same thing, if I am not mistaken. I also believe they make their packcover/water storage/wash basins with no seams---but rather a large oval shaped piece of fabric with a drawstring around the edge. (maybe Jeff or Pan can comment on this). However, the Packa's packcover section has seams, which I guess could be sealed enough to act in this manner. But, I really don't think a water holder is a function you would want to do with your Packa. At least, I wouldn't. As for a gear hammock, I definitely think the Packa could serve this function with very minimal alterations.

Quote Originally Posted by Long feet View Post
    Also, has anyone ever asked for a packa without a hood. I wear a tilley hat that I love and a hood just seems redundant, at least for me anyway. .
    No, I've never had a request for a Packa without a hood. But I feel sure I could make one without a hood for you. Pass me the sissors please.

Thanks for the questions,
    Cedar Tree

They are indeed the same product. The one on my website doesn't have the ribbons on the corners but it's the same design. And you're correct that it's one large piece of fabric with no seams. Just the hems.

I was planning on rolling the hood down on my Packa when I wear the hat in the rain. I've worn it that way and it seems to work, but I haven't had it in the rain that way yet. I didn't want to cut it b/c what would I do if my hat blew away or I lost it? The safety of having the hood as a backup probably costs less than an ounce - not worth it to me.

But if I like the setup, I'll probably sew a channel to hold the hood out of the way, like the zipper channels on the back of many jackets. That'll also act as a stiffener for the back of the collar so the rain can't run off the pack and onto my neck.

That's just me - YMMV and that ounce may be worth it to you.

CT - why don't you move the pack cover grommet from the top of the pack to the bottom and eliminate any water coming in there?

Default Grommet on Bottom?

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    CT - why don't you move the pack cover grommet from the top of the pack to the bottom and eliminate any water coming in there?
    Thanks for the clarification Jeff. I went to the Jacks website after I posted and saw that their product is your design.

As for the grommet on the bottom, I have tried this and to me it was much more difficult to tighten/loosen the drawstring when it was on the bottom. However, this suggestion has been made to me so many times, I think I will look at it again.

The newest Packas from Equinox are sewn over at the grommet area now, like my custom Packas. Most of the Packa owners on this site have the old style where I would seam seal this area, which works ok, but doesn't look that great. The newest edition is much better.

CT

Default Packas on Ebay

Not one but TWO new "old" style Packas on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130040587072

Thanks, CT

Since I first contributed to this thread back in July, '06,the Packa has become my favorite piece of gear. It will be on my don't-leave-home-without-it gear list for four seasons. I even used it on a non-hiking trip to France.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrc237 View Post
    Also when wearing it as a jacket I used 2 small pieces of stick-on velcro to fasten the sag created when not carrying pack. Nice work on this Cedar Tree.
    ================================================

Can you be more specific about those 2 small pieces of stick-on velcro ? Where did you put them ? How long were they ? Pics ??

Thanks in advance. We (BadAss Turtle and I) really like our Packas, which Cedar Tree customized to the size of our packs (thanks CT) but would like to experiment with ideas for containing the "pouch" when not wearing a pack.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Default Packa Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    Can you be more specific about those 2 small pieces of stick-on velcro ? Where did you put them ? How long were they ? Pics ??
    Thanks Rambler and Footslogger for the positive comments and continued support. Its been a good year. I am on track to have my biggest year ever.
    The Packa has been consistent. I sold 51 in 03, 57 in 04, 48 last year and 56 so far this year, with 2 sales on the line.

Rambler, I'd like to see how you placed the velcro too. Also, how is the silnet on the zipper working out? Great idea. Thanks again,
    CT

Default Some questions about the Packa

I posted these questions on backpacking.net and someone kindly pointed out that the Packa is discussed a lot on this forum, so ...

As background context, I've never done any of the AT, but I'm thinking about doing the PCT next year (a lot of the same issues). I live in Western Washington where it rains a lot but I'm particularly interested in the Packa as my one-and-only rain/wind shell for a variety of conditions over 2660 miles of PCT.

(1) I'm concerned about how well this will work with a light 66 cm long ice axe strapped to my (Mariposa Plus) pack, even if I have all the pointy bits covered (btw, I'd also appreciate any thoughts on a very lightweight approach to covering all three of spike, pick, and adze ...). Any field experience there?

(2) I'm wondering what the right approach is on dry but cold and possibly windy days is. It would be somewhat of a PITA to have to put an unneeded pack cover on in order to use the jacket in that situation --- less easy access to the pack. Putting it on under the pack would leave all the pack cover material dangling down between me and the pack and less ability to ventilate. The "carry a second jacket" option isn't appealing to me, I'm really trying to keep the weight down.

(3) A couple of reviews from 2002 talk about the cord locks at the waist whipping around and interfering with use of trekking poles; can anyone speak to that issue?

The more I think of this product, the more it strikes me as a great synergy of some of the best aspects of a poncho and the best aspects of a jacket. Thanks in advance for any feedback to the above.

Brian

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    (2) I'm wondering what the right approach is on dry but cold and possibly windy days is. It would be somewhat of a PITA to have to put an unneeded pack cover on in order to use the jacket in that situation --- less easy access to the pack. Putting it on under the pack would leave all the pack cover material dangling down between me and the pack and less ability to ventilate. The "carry a second jacket" option isn't appealing to me, I'm really trying to keep the weight down.
    How often do you take your pack off and on while hiking?

You can wear the packa as a cloak, with your arms not in the sleeves. It is fairly easy to slip your arms out of the sleeves and then you can drop your pack without interference.

Wearing your pack over the packa defeats part of the benefit: with that packa, the shoulder straps and hip belt don't get waterlogged and heavy.
    Frosty

Images

Brian,

I've got a Packa and plan to use it on my PCT thru. I live in Wyoming where there tends to be lot of wind and storms come in quickly. The Packa is easy to put on without taking your pack off and I personally have never had any problems using my trekking poles with the Packa on.

If the rain is on and off you can unzip the Packa for venting but keep it on in case the rain comes again fast. I remember one day hiking in the Medicine Bow when it started raining and the temp dropped like a bomb. As soon as I got the Packa on I noticed my body warming up.

As far as the ice axe situation is concerned I have no experience to date. On the PCT I plan on using the Black Diamond Whippet rather than carrying a separate ice axe so it is not an issue for me. What I would say is that if the points are covered and the Packa doesn't fit too tightly it shouldn't be a problem. My Packa is custom cut and fits more tightly around my pack than the standard model so I know there wouldn't be enough room for me.

You mentioned not wanting to carry an extra rain jacket. I feel the same way but I plan on carrying the 5 oz Equinox Anorak for use in town and for the call of nature at night during a rain storm.

'Slogger
    Last edited by Footslogger; 03-06-2007 at 23:14.

Images

That's a very fine idea indeed. Before I saw this I was thinking of making a similar type device with a rainjacket I've already got. I was thinking of just slicing up the back sewing in a big sil extender flap that can be toggled or buttoned closed. I think I had come accross the packa sometime and maybe it was in the back of my head.

Thanks, Footslogger, for your reply in general and the pointer to the interesting Whippet product. In fact, the whippet looks to be about the same weight as the combination of one of my 5.8 oz trekking poles (okay, a little heavier with a basket added) and the 5 oz ~ice axe I'm thinking about:
    http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm (if you look at this also read the FAQ)
    And I think that any sort of ice axe (even one with a carbon fiber shaft) will have a lot more stopping power than the whippet; have a look at:
    http://www.aai.cc/ask_a_guide.asp#whippet
    Not trying to talk you out of your choice, just sharing a different viewpoint.

Okay, this thread isn't about ice axes (axis? axii?) --- sorry for the divergence. I appreciate your point about the packa not having to fit tightly over the pack. I don't plan to carry an axe the whole trip (!), and in fact for a lot of the section I would carry it, hopefully it's in my hand and not on the pack anyway.

In fact, this relates to my other issue, windy and cold but dry weather. I wonder if I could perhaps roll up the unused pack cover part (perhaps with rubber bands) and just leave this lying between pack and me just above the pack straps --- would that work? That would presumeably also cover the case where I had the ice axe on the pack.

Guess I'll fill my pack up and measure it against my existing (somewhat longer) ice axe to see just how much a 66 cm'er would likely stick above, if at all.

Brian

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BrianLe View Post
    Thanks, Footslogger, for your reply in general and the pointer to the interesting Whippet product. In fact, the whippet looks to be about the same weight as the combination of one of my 5.8 oz trekking poles (okay, a little heavier with a basket added) and the 5 oz ~ice axe I'm thinking about:
    http://www.ula-equipment.com/helix.htm (if you look at this also read the FAQ)
    And I think that any sort of ice axe (even one with a carbon fiber shaft) will have a lot more stopping power than the whippet; have a look at:
    http://www.aai.cc/ask_a_guide.asp#whippet
    Not trying to talk you out of your choice, just sharing a different viewpoint.

Okay, this thread isn't about ice axes (axis? axii?) --- sorry for the divergence. I appreciate your point about the packa not having to fit tightly over the pack. I don't plan to carry an axe the whole trip (!), and in fact for a lot of the section I would carry it, hopefully it's in my hand and not on the pack anyway.

In fact, this relates to my other issue, windy and cold but dry weather. I wonder if I could perhaps roll up the unused pack cover part (perhaps with rubber bands) and just leave this lying between pack and me just above the pack straps --- would that work? That would presumeably also cover the case where I had the ice axe on the pack.

Guess I'll fill my pack up and measure it against my existing (somewhat longer) ice axe to see just how much a 66 cm'er would likely stick above, if at all.

Brian
    ============================================

Well ...already bought the Whippet so that's what I'm going to carry on the PCT. In reading journals and observing photos I see way too many hikers with the ice axes strapped to their packs. I carry trekking poles anyway so substituting the Whippet for one of them is an easy adaptation. Plus, as you pointed out, an ice axe for self-arrest is only needed for a certain section of the trail. I am very confident that the Whippet will serve my needs on the PCT and will always be in my hand if/when I need it.

Now, back to the Packa. The "pouch" that covers the backpack is surrounded by shock cord with a barrel lock fastener. So, you CAN snug down the excess silnylon "somewhat" to accomodate different sized loads.

I just found after owning mine for a while that it was just too large for the pack I generally carry and I did not like all that excess fabric flapping in the breeze. So, I had Ed "Cedar Tree" take out a bit of the fabric. Course now I'm going to carry a slightly larger pack on the PCT and don't know if it will fit. Time will tell.

'Slogger

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++