WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Cedar Tree,

Last year I carried the Packa inside my backpack for the entire two week hike. I was hoping for rain but it did not come. In May of this year I was finally able to wear it and it kept me and the backpack dry in a torrential rain. I highly recommend your Packa. Thank you for going the proverbial extra mile to help me understanding how to put the Packa on and off.

God bless,

Corsican

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

What about a Packa made out of a breathable waterproof fabric, like Epic, at least for the body? Is that a possible customization option?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Default Beathable Fabric Packa

I have made a couple out of duravent (Frogg Toggs material), and one of them came out pretty sweet. I would like to do more out of other breathables, but just haven't gotten around to it yet. I tried to get my hands on some eVent, but it is very expensive, and difficult to obtain in small quantities. But to answer your question, any type of custom packa is an option. If you want to provide the fabric of your choice, I will make you a packa.
    CT
    Last edited by Cedar Tree; 09-29-2005 at 09:48.

How many yards of material would you need?

Images

Thanks, Cedar Tree. I'm a devotee of Frogg Toggs. It would be great to have that same breathability with the Packa design, especially if I'm going to be spending over $100 for an alternative. I can see how eVent (that's what I meant, not Epic) would be difficult to acquire and work with, although I'm impressed with its moisture transport characteristics.

Do you have any feedback from your Duravent prototypes as to how performance compares to sil-nylon in high-exertion situations?

Default Custom Packas

To Just Jeff:

It takes about 3.5 - 4 yards of material to make a Packa, if the entire Packa is made of the same material. The pack cover section doesn't need to be breathable, only the jacket part, so probably about 2 yards for just the jacket part with a silnylon packcover.

To Kerosene:

Actually, neither Duravent Packa has been hiked with at all. The first one was one of my earliest Packas, and did not turn out well. I still have it, but it is really not worth using. The second one, which turned out really good, I made for myself, but I made the Pack cover (silnylon) WAY too big for me. It is HUGE, I don't know what I was thinking. I really probably should cut the pack cover part off and replace it with a more reasonable size. The jacket part is sweet. But, I never hiked with it because of the huge pack cover part. I tried to get Flashhand to buy it at Traildays, but he ended up buying another silnylon custom Packa. So I still have it too. And, I am out of Duravent. What size pack do you carry?
    CT

Images

I'm carrying a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, about 3,000 cubes with 24-27 pounds on average. I probably won't get back to backpacking until next fall (torn MCL and committed vacations with wife), so I'll keep my eyes open for 2 yards of Duravent or similar material.

CT - how much does the Duravent one weigh? How small does it stuff? (I've never seen Frogg Toggs stuffed down small.)

Are there any problems seamsealing between two dissimilar materials, like Duravent and silnylon?

Thanks...

Default Packa

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff
    CT - how much does the Duravent one weigh? How small does it stuff? (I've never seen Frogg Toggs stuffed down small.)

Are there any problems seamsealing between two dissimilar materials, like Duravent and silnylon?

Thanks...
    The Druavent Packa weighs 14.5 oz. I have not seam sealed the seams between the two fabrics, but don't think there would be a problem. It stuffs relatively small, I'd say about the size of a quart nalgene. It does fold up into the pocket. I have been told I will be sent 10 yds of eVent, but still waiting.

Packa on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Packa-Total-...QQcmdZViewItem

CT

Quote Originally Posted by steve hiker
    Are you Mr. Packa? Why is it so expensive?

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...berId=12500226

What I use, only $25.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Default I use a Packa, and works great...

I have a Kelty pack of about 4000, and my Packa fits it fine. I used my Packa all the way through my section hikes in GA this past summer, and intend to carry it on my upcoming thruhike attempt next month. I still wear a nylon windbreaker top (longsleeves) underneath for sun/bugs/brush in all temps, and may wear snow pants when there is white stuff on the ground.

BTW, I had a phone discussion yesterday with one of the pros at Mountain Crossings (outfitter @ Neel Gap; great people) when I called to check on my final pre-thru gear order. He told me that Frogg Togg pants tend to blow out so frequently that they lost interest in carrying them any more. They offer some other brand of (heavier) rain/snow pants instead. I keep telling MC to start carrying the Packa; Cedar Tree, have you ever talked with them?

Thumbs up Great Reviews

In all my time shopping for gear on the internet, I have never seen a product with such consistently positive results. I am almost surely going to try and get my hands on a L/XL packa for my upcoming thruhike.

I am 6'5" inches tall but am very slim (175 pounds), I am thinking L/XL since I have very long arms. Sound Right?

Thanks Cedar Tree and keep us posted on ebay auctions.

Just so you know your last auctionn ended only this morning, but I can't find it by simply searching ebay, I need to use your link. Don't know why that is since it is still available to view by using the link?

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by longben
    In all my time shopping for gear on the internet, I have never seen a product with such consistently positive results. I am almost surely going to try and get my hands on a L/XL packa for my upcoming thruhike.

I am 6'5" inches tall but am very slim (175 pounds), I am thinking L/XL since I have very long arms. Sound Right?
    Tell this to Cedar Tree. I'm 6'5" and when I talked with him at Traildays, he said he could add length to the sleeves. It looked like four inches would be right, so I asked for eight inches so I could just pull my hands up into the sleeves and not have water drip on them in the rain. It worked out perfectly.
    Frosty

Default Custom Packa

Quote Originally Posted by longben

Thanks Cedar Tree and keep us posted on ebay auctions.
    I'd have to say I've gotten consistently positive feedback from Packa owners as well. Longben, you probably need a s/m Packa with sleeve extensions like Frosty's (Thanks for your support Frosty). The only real difference in the s/m Packas and the l/xl is sleeve length. Which means you won't be able to get what you need off ebay. I don't do custom work on ebay Packas. But I don't charge extra for modifications on the Equinox Packas or for custom made Packas.

To minnesotasmith: Thanks for your support too. I have "dealt" with Mountain Crossing before and it was not a good experience. Thats why it surprised me when you said they were considering carrying the Packa.

To bulldog49: You get what you pay for.

CT

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

I am currently hiking on the FL Trail, all 3 of us are carrying Packa's . We have been lucky enough not to have much rain so far but have had some cold mornings and a day of super wind. The packa always worked great, as an outer-layer during cold mornings and as windbreakers during 40-50 mph winds up on Hoover Dike. (At one point little SC did blow-up like a balloon about to fly away.)

Ed you make a great product and your customer service to me and many of the friends I have sent your way has always be first rate. Sue/HH
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jay
    Yes, I often get my years mixed up. I'm sooo glad to hear from you. I had just got on the trail there and hiked down to the Grayson highlands. Your journal entries were wonderful and slower NOBOs and people in places where you stayed always spoke highly of you. I swear people were nicer to me just because I met you for a few moments.
    how expensive are their jackets

Default Here you go, tiamalle...

Quote Originally Posted by tiamalle
    how expensive are their jackets
    From http://www.thepacka.com/page3.html :

My preference for ordering is to contact me by phone or email:

Edward Hinnant

276 780 2354

[email protected]

And Then,

Send check or money order so that YOU don't have to pay for Paypal's services. The price for both sizes is $110 + $5 shipping.

If you would like to pay with a credit card, you must use Paypal. It costs an extra $5 to pay for their service. Use the Paypal Link Below.
    Last edited by minnesotasmith; 01-30-2006 at 05:40.

Default Packa News

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8789903861

This one is L/XL orange, brand new.

Also, I finally received some eVent and have recently completed the first eVent Packa. If you are interested in it, contact me. Price is $200.
    Thanks
    Cedar Tree

Default Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=8789903861

This one is L/XL orange, brand new.

Also, I finally received some eVent and have recently completed the first eVent Packa. If you are interested in it, contact me. Price is $200.
    Thanks
    Cedar Tree
    ... for the heads-up. I just won it!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++