WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

No trail name yet
    Starting May 23, 2021
    Starting at Abol Bridge SOBO.
    I will finish up on Katahdin once I reach Springer hopefully no later than late Sept.

none as of yet
    SOBO from Katahdin
    June 11
    hiking with my adult son

I really wish we could "like" posts

Quote Originally Posted by rsully View Post
    none as of yet
    SOBO from Katahdin
    June 11
    hiking with my adult son
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Trail Name: TBD
    Direction/Start Location: NOBO / Amicalola Falls State Park
    Estimated Start Date: March 15th
    Approach Trail: Yes

Finishing up a great journey. Hiked SOBO in 2011 (Trail name Possum, Shout out class 2011!) and made it to Harpers Ferry with sections skipped due to Hurricane Irene. Looking forward to hiking the southern section and finishing the missed sections up North. Will be thru hiking the whole trail if all goes to plan. See ya there!
    Last edited by TrailPossum; 12-23-2020 at 12:48.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us." J.R.R. Tolkien
    -=POSSUM=- Rollin..

Journal Entries
    Images

FIREPLUG Class of 2019 doing it again in 2021. Going with a new trail name DOUBLE TAKE!!!! Every day I miss the trail.... Cant wait

Bean
    NoBo/ Approach Trail
    Feb 12

My company encouraged time off with a guarantee of having a job when I get back. This is a now or never opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireplug View Post
    FIREPLUG Class of 2019 doing it again in 2021. Going with a new trail name DOUBLE TAKE!!!! Every day I miss the trail.... Cant wait
    A "Repeat Offender"!!!!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Bean
    NoBo/ Approach Trail
    Feb 12

My company encouraged time off with a guarantee of having a job when I get back. This is a now or never opportunity.

Super nice of them.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Crawl
    February 23rd,2021 at Springer Mt
    NOBO flip flop and leap frog
    No approach Trail, done it twice already
    I am hoping to be the first American male amputee to thru hike the AT, Springer to Front Royal, leap to Sheffield, Mass, Sheffield to Katahdin, back to Front Royal to hike to Sheffield to finish! Tentatively be at Sheffield around June 1st ish ... anyone wanting to help me thru New Hampshire and Maine would be appreciated!!! Oh, and I'm 64!

Quote Originally Posted by Crawl View Post
    Crawl
    February 23rd,2021 at Springer Mt
    NOBO flip flop and leap frog
    No approach Trail, done it twice already
    I am hoping to be the first American male amputee to thru hike the AT, Springer to Front Royal, leap to Sheffield, Mass, Sheffield to Katahdin, back to Front Royal to hike to Sheffield to finish! Tentatively be at Sheffield around June 1st ish ... anyone wanting to help me thru New Hampshire and Maine would be appreciated!!! Oh, and I'm 64!
    There is someone on the trail 2020 and again 2021 that you might want to check out. Get on Instagram and find "mischief_onthetrail". He has quite a story. Lost half his feet to frostbite. Was hiking for a time in 2020 with two broken prosthetics. He posted he got 1067 miles completed in 2020. Is a GREAT photographer. Well worth checking out.

Starting date is on hold until I can be fully vaccinated. I'm researching a possible flip-flop or a southbound hike depending when I can start.

Name: TBD
    Starting: Feb 26.
    NOBO
    Approach trail: yup
    Long time desire to hike AT, and universe is screaming at me that this is my chance. I do botanical photography, and hike in Texas. Have led a lot of hikes. Looking forward to a long green tunnel with new botanical excitement. One of the cool things is getting to replace old equipment with new!!

Registered User Creature Feature's Avatar

Creature Feature
    Flip flop starting in mid April.
    I live a half mile from the trial in Maryland so I've gotten my neighbor's permission to cross his property to the trail and I'll pick it up at mile 1059.8 (according to AWOL) at the power line. My plan(hope) is to walk North to Katahdin, take a bus/train/plane to the Atlanta area, get back on the trail at Springer and walk home.
    This is my first attempt at a thru hike so wish me luck.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bwana59 View Post
    (sigh) Third time's a charm, I hope.First the sale of my house in 2019, then Covid in 2020 prevented me from hitting the trail. 2021 is a new year, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Trail name: Bwana
    NOBO
    Planned start date: March 28, 2021
    Approach trail: Yes
    I've been out in Utah getting some trail miles, including Angel's Landing last weekend in Zion. I plan to spend most of January, February and March Southern Arizona to continue getting trail miles. Might section hike part of the AZT or PCT.
    I plan to take it easy for a couple of weeks on the AT, then average 15 miles per day, but that is like sailing, it depends. I'm not adverse to higher mileage days, but I want to enjoy my time on the trail.
    I have my equipment mostly dialed in, my total pack weight is around 18 lbs, without food and water. I'm going to re-visit this in the near future and probably shave a pound or two off this.
    Registered, new start date of March 21, 2021

Trail Name: TBD
    Direction/Start Location: NOBO, starting at the Approach Trail.
    Start Date: March 15th--registered at 8 am December 1st with ATC!!
    Approach Trail: with boundless excitement! lol
    Good Luck everyone --My given name is Brian (long-time listener, first-time caller!) ..Can't wait to see you all out there in 61 DAYS!!! Be safe!! ;0)

Gypsy
    NOBO
    Start date March 13
    Yes on the approach trail
    Living my best life ever. Looking forward to meeting this years hikers.

No Trail Name
    NOBO from Indian Grave Gap (past Erwin TN)
    March 26

Plan is for a LASH - 378miles to Daleville VA.
    Hiked my first LASH from Springer Mtn to IGG (mm352.6) lateSep-Oct 2020.

Trail name: Godfather, NOBO Feb 21 from approach trail. My retirement gift to myself!

Posting here for what good it will do. I plan to depart Springer on April 5/6 NOBO on my thru-hike. I'm not part of a group and look forward to meeting some like-minded hikers. Cheers! Robbie Steen aka Baseliner

Journal Entries
    Images

The spreadsheet is ready for viewing. Follow this link: https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/2008/2021.htm The link is also available on the homepage. You can also find it from the left pane on homepage: click on Appalachian Trail, then WhiteBlaze thru hikers and then Class of 2021.

ATC has created a resource library which includes a chart of how many hikers are starting on a specific date. Check it out here for additional tips and updates.

Stay safe out there!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations
    how to hike

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++