WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heated gloves?

Default Heated gloves?

Wondering if anyone has any experience/advice regarding heated gloves. Am interested in heated gloves for general day walks/hiking, not winter thru hikes or arctic conditions, sawing wood or motorcycling. Mainly keeping fingers warm until things warm up during a hike. Is there any such thing as a heated treking pole grip? I have used those iron carbon packets but they are slow to warm and just heat the palms, not fingers.
    Cold weather and Christmas are coming soon.
    Thanks

I bought my cousin these, he said they really helped for hiking. He has Raynauds and puts a regular glove over them when it’s really cold.

www.wristies.com/Heated_Wristies_p/20a.htm

V/r, H

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

My hiking friend uses a chemical handwarmer in her mittens. But she doesn't use poles for the most part. But if you put it over the top of your hand, it would probably work. Having a mitten with an actual pocket for a handwarmer would be ideal, there is likely such a mitten available. And of course, mittens are on the whole warmer then gloves. When it gets down into the 20's or colder, I put on mittens and add shells if it's windy.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In my experience, mittens keep fingers warmer than gloves. Haven't seen any non-motorcycle solution for heating fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet_1697 View Post
    I bought my cousin these, he said they really helped for hiking. He has Raynauds and puts a regular glove over them when it’s really cold.

www.wristies.com/Heated_Wristies_p/20a.htm

V/r, H

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    I should have checked this product out, it looks like a good way to go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Having a mitten with an actual pocket for a handwarmer would be ideal, there is likely such a mitten available.
    LL Bean has (or had) a pair of down mittens with a handwarmer pocket - I didn't find it nearly as warm as just having the warmer inside with my hand. Great concept, not so great in execution.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    LL Bean has (or had) a pair of down mittens with a handwarmer pocket - I didn't find it nearly as warm as just having the warmer inside with my hand. Great concept, not so great in execution.
    Sounds like the pocket insulated your hand from the handwarmer!

Not always bad - sometimes those handwarmers can be a little too hot directly on the skin.

FWIW if one compares the price, reliability, and working time of chemical hand warmers vs. electric heated gloves, the chemical hand warmers win on all fronts by a significant margin.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

If you just need short term handwarmer, the reusable kind that you recharge by putting in hot water are really good, they do not last as long as the chemical ones but a lot less trash.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    Sounds like the pocket insulated your hand from the handwarmer!
    I think that's exactly what happens, and it's a two-way street - the hand warms the handwarmer enough to get the chemical reaction "excited". Without some feedback, the handwarmer itself can't generate enough of a reaction. Seems to work that way with handwarmers in your pants (that didn't sound right, but...), if you put two in your pocket, they'll really get cranking.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    If you just need short term handwarmer, the reusable kind that you recharge by putting in hot water are really good, they do not last as long as the chemical ones but a lot less trash.

I love an old-fashioned hot water bottle at my feet at home during winter. They stay warm all night, with sufficient blanketage. That said, they take darn near a half gallon and I don't know that I've seen a "travel size" for the trail. IDK about you all but 2 qt pots aren't that common for backpacking, and I'm not sure how well they work at 50% capacity.
    As a friend of mine says with tongue firmly planted in cheek, I think we're in agreeance.

- the hand warms the handwarmer enough to get the chemical reaction "excited". Without some feedback, the handwarmer itself can't generate enough of a reaction.
    I thought they were air activated, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    I thought they were air activated, no?
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I have been using those hand warmers. And I understand the chemistry, the iron reacts with oxygen using the activated carbon as a catalyst/reaction site. That's why they need to be fluffed or agitated occasionally. It's just fast rusting, one can see the red iron oxide that forms. They work fine at a football game or walking on smooth flat surfaces where one can place it in a glove or mitten and keep fingers close to the sometimes, fairly intense heat perhaps in a pocket. And they seem to work OK if I keep it in a glove and pull my fingers into the palm area of the glove . . .

But holding on to poles on slippery winter surfaces and trails requires gripping the pole grips. I have even tried wrapping the still flexible handwarmer packets around the grips with little success. That's why I introduced the topic of heated gloves. There are many such items available and thought some on this forum might have some experience with them.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.

Might want to take a look at these from Outdoor Research: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/heated-gloves
    I'm sure other outdoor/hiking companies also make something like this.
    Edit: Yep,
    https://www.seirus.com/cold-weather/hands/heated-gloves and Black Diamond last year had their Solano glove/mitt.

I personally would just use the simple small chemical hand warmers everyone else is recommending but I don't suffer from raynaud's.

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    Wondering if anyone has any experience/advice regarding heated gloves. Am interested in heated gloves for general day walks/hiking, not winter thru hikes or arctic conditions, sawing wood or motorcycling. Mainly keeping fingers warm until things warm up during a hike. Is there any such thing as a heated treking pole grip? I have used those iron carbon packets but they are slow to warm and just heat the palms, not fingers.
    Cold weather and Christmas are coming soon.
    Thanks
    Or perhaps you're on to something with that heated pole grip idea?
    Just think a drop in battery at the top of the grip, a simple heat coil ?

I'd use a heated pole for sure if they make one. The one thing I didn't get on my snow blower was heated handles - regretting that!

You could install a USB port as well and charge with your phone.
    Maybe we'll see ya on shark tank one of these days PGH1NC...

For what it's worth, I was stunned by how much improvement I got by adding a set of surgical gloves as a vapor barrier against the skin. It totally eliminates any loss from air across the skin and guarantees that you won't get sweat into the insulating layers around your hands. Add a thin pair of functional glove liners for dexterity over that, then heavier mittens/gloves as needed on the outside. Kept me toasty warm on the presidential traverse in March.

The heated pole idea is good. It would reduce bulk in your gloves.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    My hiking friend uses a chemical handwarmer in her mittens. But she doesn't use poles for the most part. But if you put it over the top of your hand, it would probably work. Having a mitten with an actual pocket for a handwarmer would be ideal, there is likely such a mitten available. And of course, mittens are on the whole warmer then gloves. When it gets down into the 20's or colder, I put on mittens and add shells if it's windy.
    I have a pr of OR gloves with a zipper pocket on the top of the glove for holding a chemical heat packet, key, etc. I'm not recalling the model though.

This is why I prefer a rain jacket or shell with hand pockets in cold weather. It adds another layer of warmth while allowing for a thinner glove. I also liked Swami's glove article in how he layers in cold weather.
    https://www.thehikinglife.com/2015/1...-cold-weather/
    I've found a Windstopper shell glove or mitt with wool inner insulating layer liner to be warmth effective when not anticipating wet weather. When it's wet I go to a WP breathable mitt such as the MLD eVent mitts or OR seam sealed Pertex Shield DS Versaliner shells with separate wool insulating layer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++