WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Flip flop Harpers Ferry 2023 crowding

I am considering a flip flop NOBO from Harper's Ferry around the time of the annual "flip flop" festival the 3rd weekend in April (Earth Day). I have watched several flip floppers on youtube and am noting they are alone/nearly alone at shelters up to NJ and beyond. I don't mind hiking/camping alone but at the same time being alone prevents any tramily formation and potential assistance (ride sharing for example). Anyone with flip flop experience able to speak about this? I am sure some fast NOBO hikers will over take me in PA until I get my trail legs. Following the ATC flip flop event I understand about 100-150 hikers start NOBO. That is certainly not alone. I imagine the bubble quickly bursts and gets spread out quickly. I am asking here for experience (the best teacher) so I avoid planning mistakes. I can start anytime. Thanks for your info.

I did a nobo flip from central va beginning mid April. I think it is more difficult if you’re seeking a tramily, since there are less people starting with you. On the other hand you meet a lot of different hikers along the way, particularly if you camp in or near shelters, often the same hikers at multiple locations, so you can find friends and share rides.

Chef4- would you recommend starting at Harper's Ferry April 23 or Southern start of Shenandoah NP April 8-ish.

Either would likely work fine. If you hold off on snp until later, starting instead at HF, then the snp wayside delis will be open when you go through, which makes food carries easier. They were closed when I went through, which was disappointing. There’s a heat map of prior year’s hikers’ locations by date, if you want to look at likely hiker density, wherearethehikers.com. You could also look at expected temps, I would guess the later start would mean a bit higher nighttime temps on the ridge. Both are good starts for building your stamina without too many challenges. You would be more likely to find a tramily from HF due to the festival causing some bunching of beginners, in SNP in April the springer group sprints by you, although they’re fun to meet.

Chef4 - Ughh! I was planning a ff nobo starting at Rockfish Gap just before SNP around early April the waysides being closed is disappointing. Is there a way to confirm when they do open??

see calendar ~half-way down page for anticipated opening dates 2023. Updates should be posted here as well (I think over past couple of years they have not been TOTALLY reliable, i.e. opening dates changing)

https://www.goshenandoah.com/covid-19-updates

For anyone that doesn't want to click through, the planned opening dates of the SNP Waysides for 2023:

Big Meadows Wayside - March 23, 2023
    Elk Wallow Wayside - April 7
    Loft Mountain Wayside - April 14

check link for updates as those dates get closer https://www.goshenandoah.com/covid-19-updates

Quote Originally Posted by justhike View Post
    For anyone that doesn't want to click through, the planned opening dates of the SNP Waysides for 2023:

Big Meadows Wayside - March 23, 2023
    Elk Wallow Wayside - April 7
    Loft Mountain Wayside - April 14

check link for updates as those dates get closer https://www.goshenandoah.com/covid-19-updates
    This year may be better this year than prior years, although the retail stores typically open by those dates, but not the grills (blackberry milkshakes and fresh-prepared food). It might take a phone call to confirm that. The retail stores are fairly good, particularly big meadows (but not sky land) but their food is cold.

Images

I agree with Chef4 on the nice to have grill facilities. One thing I could not determine from the website is when all the camp stores re-open. For what is worth, In years past those camp stores (i.e. Loft Mountain, which is in a different location then the Wayside - virtually a side trail off the AT) did have some re-supply options, like freeze dried and or dehydrated meals, sometimes produce and fruits, powdered drinks, ramen and peanut butter. As well as drinks like gatorade, and things like powerbars. And the Campgrounds to include Lewis and Loft Mtn campgrounds do have shower facilities at the Camp stores. As I recall Loft Mtn Campground did have a laundry facility co-located with the showers, pretty sure the same was true for Lewis Mtn as well.
    Last edited by Furlough; 12-17-2022 at 09:57. Reason: Showers
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

Thanks for the dates the grills/stores are expected to open in SNP and potential resupply info. I'll opt for Harpers Ferry to start and hit SNP on the flop. Also the transportation to HF seems easier (train from airport). Glad I asked here.

Images

Late to the thread, but just wanted to add that you're right that it's better to hit SNP on the flop, since everything has been up and running smoothly for a while by that time.

I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in.

~John Muir

I've done several LASH starting on the festival weekend.

Starting the weekend of the FF festival gives you a better chance of becoming part of a small group. The initial crowd (such as it is) will quickly thin/spread out. Many stop on the second day at the campground at which you can order pizza from! Also note that the water at the Ed Garvey shelter is 0.4 miles one way down the side of a steep ridge. Bring enough water from town to continue onto the Campton Gap shelter rather fetching water at Garvey.

In any event, you will end up camping with others with the same pace and that starts to form a bond. Eventually you'll probably end up partnering with just one other. The SOBO flip is the lonely part of the hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I did a hike from Pawling, NY to High Point, NJ the middle of May this year. Because dispersed camping is not allowed in much of NY and NJ I spent the night with 6-8 thru hikers or flippers each night.
    More walking, less talking.

++ New Posts ++