WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Salomon X Ultra Durability

I have a pair of Salomon X Ultras. I really like them, but they are showing signs of serious wear & tear after only about 350 miles. I'd like to know if others who own the Salomon X Ultra have experienced similar issues with durability. If this is a common problem, I will look at another brand for the next hiking boot I buy.

Thanks in advance for your help.

350 sounds about right for that style shoe. It depends a lot on what kind of tread you've been hiking on. Packed dirt or lots of rocks?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

FWIW, wear patterns, as Slo-Goen points out, depend a lot on what surfaces one is hiking on. For example, you can expect to get more wear from a given shoe on soft dirt tread way without a pack versus granite rock scrambles with a pack in New England. So much depends on terrain and what you are carrying.

In my experience, I can expect trail runners to get about 300 miles before the shoe starts losing its structure and starts losing traction capability. I can expect to get about 500 - 600 miles with most trail shoes before they start to lose their structure and traction grip. High top leather boots get about triple that mileage. The trail surfaces I have been on with all these shoes is fairly well mixed from pine duff to dirt/gravel surfaces to sharp, angular granite ledge and rocks.

I had a pair of Solomon mid-high X Ultras advertised as a "trail shoe" that only got about 325 miles before the tread wore down to the point I lost confidence in them. I would say that is a low wear threshold for a trail shoe, but not so much for a trail runner. I am not sure how Solomon differentiates between their trail runner/trail shoe classifications. As an aside, I replaced the Solomons with a mid-high Oboz trail shoe and so far have been pleased with how they are wearing and their fit with a few hundred miles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolts View Post
    I have a pair of Salomon X Ultras. I really like them, but they are showing signs of serious wear & tear after only about 350 miles. I'd like to know if others who own the Salomon X Ultra have experienced similar issues with durability. If this is a common problem, I will look at another brand for the next hiking boot I buy.
    300ish is about right for these carrying under 30lb loads. FWIW, I switched to the the "pro XA" shoe with "3D" chassis and they last a bit longer and feel more stable under load.

++ New Posts ++