WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post
    Let's clarify a little and then leave it at that so we don't have a big Vaxxer anti-Vaxxer debate. Effective and safe vaccines widely accepted will make the trail better for everybody.
    Agreed-well said!!!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Any idea how long it will be before you might get the vaccine? Let us know when you get it and how it was if you don't mind.
    I just got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. It didn’t hurt but my arm started getting sore within 15 minutes. I expect fatigue and muscle soreness for the next few days.

edit...it’s not a localized (at the injection site) soreness. The soreness goes up to my shoulder and down into my hand.
    Last edited by Traffic Jam; 12-18-2020 at 09:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I just got the first dose of the Pfizer vaccine. It didn’t hurt but my arm started getting sore within 15 minutes. I expect fatigue and muscle soreness for the next few days.

edit...it’s not a localized (at the injection site) soreness. The soreness goes up to my shoulder and down into my hand.
    Awesome!

FWIW , Thank for being there Frontline worker !!

I appreciate the heads up. I am glad to hear you were able to start the vaccine. It must relieve some of the anxiety and stress health care workers have knowing they will be protected from the virus when treating their patients. You guys are the heroes of this pandemic along with the folks who developed the vaccines and antibody treatments. I hope your arm feels better. Do you think it is an allergic reaction?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

that doesn't sound "great." I'm wondering how long that lasts and if it causes any damage.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    that doesn't sound "great." I'm wondering how long that lasts and if it causes any damage.
    It’s fairly mild and a perfectly normal side effect for this vaccine. I was already sore from my last workout and mild arthritis in my hand, the vaccine increased that soreness by about 5-10%. I’m not worried.

2020 was the first year since 2012 when I did not go on a single backpacking trip - and I miss it. I cancelled a JMT hike in August due to concern about flying out to California and, in retrospect, those fears were not warranted. I recently moved and am again within 70 miles of the AT, 90 minutes by train from Harper's Ferry, so I will be doing some sections this winter and spring as well. I have a new Altaplex on order as well. 2020 has been a terrible year. 2021 is going to be much better, not only for backpacking but in general.

O.K., my tentative plans to travel to the U.S. from the U.K. for a backpacking trip this summer have taken a slight hit this week...
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Texas has decided to alter the CDC vaccine guidelines and vaccinate all folks 65 and older in the next group (1b) after they finish health care workers, nursing homes etc in this first group (1a) to receive vaccination. They estimate group 1b to start receiving doses in mid- January. If I am lucky enough to get vaccinated then, I will let you know what it is like.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

I won't hike on any popular trail until I'm vaccinated. I would not want to unknowingly spread the virus to someone else if I had it but was asymptomatic. My tentative plan is to hike two sections of the AT in 2021: in Virginia in May and somewhere in New England in early September. But if I haven't been vaccinated by the May hike I will cancel that one. In a rational world I ought to be near the end of the line when it comes to getting vaccinated. I'm not old enough (I'm 61) to have age be much of a risk factor and I'm fit enough that I have no other high risk factors. I'm also retired so not only am I not an "essential worker," I'm no worker at all! That's what makes me think I may not be vaccinated by May.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

I had been looking forward to going down to Amicalola in mid or late February and getting a pre-bubble section in, but I'm calling that off. Disappointed for sure, but I'll just start looking forward to another section in the late summer or fall. COVID is going to be with us for a while, but it *should* be under control by then. I sure hope so anyway.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I won't hike on any popular trail until I'm vaccinated. I would not want to unknowingly spread the virus to someone else if I had it but was asymptomatic. My tentative plan is to hike two sections of the AT in 2021: in Virginia in May and somewhere in New England in early September. But if I haven't been vaccinated by the May hike I will cancel that one. In a rational world I ought to be near the end of the line when it comes to getting vaccinated. I'm not old enough (I'm 61) to have age be much of a risk factor and I'm fit enough that I have no other high risk factors. I'm also retired so not only am I not an "essential worker," I'm no worker at all! That's what makes me think I may not be vaccinated by May.
    I am the same age as you, Map Man, and am also likely to be one of the last to be vaccinated. I am planning to backpack for a week in May 2021 on the Buckeye Trail (no shuttle or resupply needed since I live nearby in Ohio), and keep my options open for a week on the AT in NY/CT in late Summer/Fall 2021 when I hope to be vaccinated.

I skipped a planned 120 mile AT hike this year due to concern over Covid, but did manage to hike over 300 miles of the Buckeye Trail. I am ok with postponing completion of the AT in order to reduce risk to.myself and others.
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

I too will be late to the vaccine party. However, if frontline workers and most vulnerable folk have gotten it, I’ll be willing to take a thru, I think. I don’t see much risk on trail itself, and feel reasonable in town if using common sense with masks etc. Is it a risk? Sure. If primarily to me, then I have to balance risk of time and life passing by. But fully understand this individual choice, or hope it is.

FWIW, ATC thru hike registrations about half to two thirds of past two years right now. Perhaps in past, more registered in Jan and Feb, so comparison not perfect.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    The only other advice I'd add is for section hikers to avoid popular areas of the trail on weekends if possible. One of the biggest changes I noticed this year was a HUGE increase in the number of day hikers out on weekends. For example, I saw about 300 day hikers in 3 miles coming down into Delaware Water Gap on a Saturday afternoon.
    The 4 mile stretch from the Delaware Water Gap to Sunfish Pond in NJ is one of the most, if not THE most, heavily traveled sections of the entire AT. This is true in any year, but especially true in a COVID year.

Images

We REALLY want to do an AT LASH this 2021 spring as my wife needs a 500 mile section from Hot Springs to mid-northern VA and we still plan on hitting this in May but basically we only will if we are both vaccinated* or the eastern US infection rate is way, way down.

It's not that we're THAT paranoid about all of this, we're probably middle of the road, but we figure there are soooooo many things still to do out here (CO, UT) locally where we can hike for days with only seeing a couple/few people, we'll just shift our AT section to the late summer/early fall time frame.

I realize that most folks don't have the time luxury we have, and my heart goes out to those that might have their plans disrupted yet again in 2021. Hang tough, better times ahead!

*(she is vaccinated already, a health care worker, I turn 65 in May meaning I might get it by May. BTW, she had almost zero side effects from 1st Pfizer shot, only very minor arm soreness, just like a flu shot)

we are going completely mobile next year. Hopefully end of June. Our lease will be up and HOPEFULLY we will have our skoolie done. So long as it is "done enough" for the remainder of the summer we will be taking a trip up the east coast and scouting parking (along and near the trail) for an AT thru in 2022 for me. I will aso be able to get quite a few days of hiking in next year as we bounce up the trail as we won't be moving every day next year. My husband will support from the skoolie while I hike during the week and he hikes. We can always "finish up" the skoolie in the winter months from a nice warm location hanging out with other skoolie people. So our plans have not changed for next year.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Hoping to hike High Point, NJ through Southern Vermont this year, minus a couple of pieces I've finished. Like a lot of section hikers, I hiked no new miles in 2020, though I did redo part of Pennsylvania with a friend.

I may set up in campgrounds as early as I can deal with the wet spring and finish New Jersey/New York in out-and-back day hikes. Connecticut and Southern Massachusetts should be late spring/early summer. If cases are well controlled by mid-summer, I may go to Southern Maine and Pinkham Notch to Gorham, NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    Hoping to hike High Point, NJ through Southern Vermont this year, minus a couple of pieces I've finished. Like a lot of section hikers, I hiked no new miles in 2020, though I did redo part of Pennsylvania with a friend.

I may set up in campgrounds as early as I can deal with the wet spring and finish New Jersey/New York in out-and-back day hikes. Connecticut and Southern Massachusetts should be late spring/early summer. If cases are well controlled by mid-summer, I may go to Southern Maine and Pinkham Notch to Gorham, NH.
    Happy to help with rides (May and later) to/from trailheads ~Canopus Lake, NY through CT (I live 1.5 mi from trail at NY-CT border) so you can avoid some out-n-backs. I did a lot of trail magic, short- and long-distance shuttles, and slackpacking in 2020. Windows open, masks on, most riders in back seat - had no problem with virus, but I know conditions are a bit different at the moment....and we each have our comfort level. Send me a pm and i can get back to you with my cell# if you'd like.

I did my first LASH in 2020. Had to put-off a March 28 planned start, but decided to go down to Springer at the end of September and did a 5-week section to ~Erwin TN (352 miles). There were a few busy shelter areas the first 100 miles, and the Smokies were pretty busy with lots of day and section hikers, but otherwise the trail was relatively quiet.

Right now I am planning to start up again in late March 2021 where I left off, and hike the next 378 miles to Daleville VA. Expecting to have a bit more company from late-Feb/early-March thru-hikers, but think I should be ahead of most of the 'bubble'. I find it easy to distance from folks on trail. I stayed in three shelters (one by myself, one with just my hiking buddy, one with several others), but usually camped in my tent, and often at stealth sites with no other campers. I stayed at a couple of motels and a couple of hostels (in private rooms), some requiring shuttles, which I am likely to do again. I did eat (breakfast) twice indoors, at diners, and I might avoid that in the spring (as well as the shelters).

Our 2020 hike was disrupted; however, we hope to hike in 2021. As a teacher, it sounds like I will get vaccinated in about a month. My hubby hopes to be vaccinated by May. Even with this, we plan to tent only (usually stayed in shelters and hostels). We will also be careful to wear masks if unable to social distance if it is not clear we can't still be carriers of the virus to others. (I have heard that one of the vaccines might allow this to happen even though the vaccinated person will not become affected.) Ugh! I can't wait to get back to a more normal time!

Not to cast a pall on AT trekking in 2021, it's going to take a while for vaccinations to reach a lot of people, given priority lists that can be different by State and overall availability. It's likely camping areas may be closed along with shelters as many are now along the trail for the first half of 2021 so don't be surprised. Also State regulations regarding who can come into the State from other places will probably remain in effect for a while in an attempt to protect populations. This may be a good year to think about a SOBO trek to provide a little time for all this to settle out a bit more.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
++ New Posts ++