WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Roll forward or back?

Is there any big advantage when closing a roll top pack, going one way or the other? I.e. rolling towards back of the pack or towards back of your head?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The only thing that comes to mind is that it's going to be difficult to roll it closed by turning your wrists down... you'll want to roll it up as you move your wrists up.
    That means if you load your pack from behind it, the roll will face away from your head.
    But if you load your pack from in front of it, the roll will face towards your head.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that if the roll is facing towards your head, when it rains, you will have slightly more water rolling down between your pack and your back compared to the amount of rain rolling off the back of your pack.

FWIW, I have always favored rolling, packing, or stacking anything on the pack should be done to shed water off the rear of the pack.

And I thought that I had seen every question that could possibly be asked, asked...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Garlic
    Images

I'm sort of anal, and a recovering engineer, and I admit I never would have thought to ask that.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was at a shelter where the discussion was about rolling your bandana. After you fold it into a triangle do you fold or roll it with the point in or out. My vote was in, it’s neater.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Rolling it forward creates drag. It'll take at least a 10th of a second off your top speed.

I used to wire houses on the side and when it came time to install the receptacle/switch covers I would always ask the homeowners if they would like the screw slots to orient horizontal or vertical. I advised them that vertical was usually better because it would let dust fall down the slot and not collect on the screw. Some looked at me funny; some thought about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbar View Post
    I used to wire houses on the side and when it came time to install the receptacle/switch covers I would always ask the homeowners if they would like the screw slots to orient horizontal or vertical. I advised them that vertical was usually better because it would let dust fall down the slot and not collect on the screw. Some looked at me funny; some thought about it.
    I once read where Roger "The Captain" Penske had all the slots in his race shops aligned. EVERYTHING clean and in its place. Floors so clean you could eat off them. The Penske way (shame his teams hardly ever wins any races )
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

There are so many things in life that don't really matter, but that doesn't mean we can't ponder them. I have a roll top pack, and while I don't really think there's a right or wrong way, I have considered if one way is a better than the other. I'm with Traveler - I look at how rain will run off the pack.

I'm shocked that a recovering engineer wouldn't place proper drainage high on the list of things to consider!

Please keep in mind - these are things to consider while drinking beer and pondering navel lint. They are truly things of miniscule import. But when you have hours to stare at campfire, why not ponder the minutiae of life?

Sounds like roll it back for both drag reduction and water/rain management.

Guessing there is no difference for Dynema vs Xpac?

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    I once read where Roger "The Captain" Penske had all the slots in his race shops aligned. EVERYTHING clean and in its place. Floors so clean you could eat off them. The Penske way (shame his teams hardly ever wins any races )
    I guess it all depends if you want to trim your pack out for qualifying, or raceday. (FKT or thru?)

Now if only I could get a set of Penske dampers to increase my mechanical grip while on trail.

++ New Posts ++