WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Smokies AT Fontana to Davenport gap logistics...recs please

It’s been far too long! I haven’t hiked since September thrus of HST and WRHR. Planning to get my 14 yr old out to knock out the SMNP section over Xmas break. Any cheaper shuttle options? Called standing bear...I realize it’s a long shuttle but $170 is tough to swallow. Nobo or sobo? Assume sobo as have left my truck at dam with no issues and shower access at end is a plus before that long drive home. Thinking 4-5 days depending on weather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

170 for that distance and time is a good deal, imo...

i doubt you'll find it cheaper......

unless some private person wants to do it for cheaper than that.....

for reference, i had a shuttle for just me, from the marina at fontana to clingmans parking lot and
    that was $100.........and 7 years ago....

It's typically $1 per mile i think , and that of course is round trip miles for them.

Call Julie at 317-417-5351. She charges $10 per pick up and $1 per mile one way. Recently used her (her husband actually drove us) and they were great. Rid was way, way cheaper than Standing Bear.

Our shuttle was from Standing Bear to Newfound Gap, but I would imagine that they would go to Fontana, but of course you should confirm with them.

Thx for the info. I totally get why so expensive just hoping can find cheaper....these days it’s cheaper to fly out west and hike than drive/shuttle on AT...

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Seeing how many shuttle services stopping during these Covid times, you might have to take what you get. Most of my shuttle contacts for the Smokies stopped or limited their services.

Other possibility is hit up the Meetup or Social Media pages in finding another person to hike with you and park at the other end.

Hit up the Smoky Mtn Hiking or Carolina Mtn clubs and see if there are any members helping out with shuttles.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    Call Julie at 317-417-5351. She charges $10 per pick up and $1 per mile one way. Recently used her (her husband actually drove us) and they were great. Rid was way, way cheaper than Standing Bear.

Our shuttle was from Standing Bear to Newfound Gap, but I would imagine that they would go to Fontana, but of course you should confirm with them.
    Perfect! She will do it for $113....thx all

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Seeing how many shuttle services stopping during these Covid times, you might have to take what you get. Most of my shuttle contacts for the Smokies stopped or limited their services.

Other possibility is hit up the Meetup or Social Media pages in finding another person to hike with you and park at the other end.

Hit up the Smoky Mtn Hiking or Carolina Mtn clubs and see if there are any members helping out with shuttles.
    Thx think I have it...need to get dates squared away.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    It’s been far too long! I haven’t hiked since September thrus of HST and WRHR. Planning to get my 14 yr old out to knock out the SMNP section over Xmas break. Any cheaper shuttle options? Called standing bear...I realize it’s a long shuttle but $170 is tough to swallow. Nobo or sobo? Assume sobo as have left my truck at dam with no issues and shower access at end is a plus before that long drive home. Thinking 4-5 days depending on weather.

Its a good deal salty....How much cheaper can a weeklong Christmas vacation get?...

I have no opinion on direction personally BUT if you pull the trip in 4 days your 4th day will still be a very much FULL day, it makes sense to park truck at dam, hike nobo to standing bear farm, stay the night there and have it set up with them to shuttle you back to the dam. Disclaimer- If they cant shuttle you, use same plan but find yourself a shuttle driver.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Good call. Will likely be 5 days with my son in tow.....

And a $57 savings !!
    Last edited by JNI64; 11-23-2020 at 19:13.

I don't know, but 5 days with the shortest amount of daylight possible is cutting it close. There's bound to be at least one bad weather day, probably two as it can overlap, in any 5 day slice of time and you have no choice but to deal with it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It’s been far too long! I haven’t hiked since September thrus of HST and WRHR. Planning to get my 14 yr old out to knock out the SMNP section over Xmas break.
    I feel your pain.
    My 14yo is working on the GSMNP 900 Miler Club. We planned a hike during Columbus Day school holiday, but the hurricane cancelled those plans. Rescheduled for this weekend after Thanksgiving and once again weather (with some unexpected medical issues) is going to stop us AGAIN.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I feel your pain.
    My 14yo is working on the GSMNP 900 Miler Club. We planned a hike during Columbus Day school holiday, but the hurricane cancelled those plans. Rescheduled for this weekend after Thanksgiving and once again weather (with some unexpected medical issues) is going to stop us AGAIN.
    Totally understand....what’s your thoughts on 5 days? He’s usually good for 15 mpd on NC AT but his last bike was few years back we did Art Loeb and it kicked his but in 2.5 days...how tough is terrain? I haven’t ever really researched the terrain in SMNP

Images

I haven’t ever really researched the terrain in SMNP

i would say, you might wanna do this.......

HooKooDooKu can give more specifics on the elevation gain lost/gain between each chunk of the AT in the Park, but
    I'll give it in layman's terms....

From Davenport------climb up to mt cammerrer, ride the ridge up with some ups and downs over to
    clingman's dome, then ride the ridge down with some downs and ups......to shuckstack......then it's all downhill...

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i would say, you might wanna do this.......

HooKooDooKu can give more specifics on the elevation gain lost/gain between each chunk of the AT in the Park, but
    I'll give it in layman's terms....

From Davenport------climb up to mt cammerrer, ride the ridge up with some ups and downs over to
    clingman's dome, then ride the ridge down with some downs and ups......to shuckstack......then it's all downhill...
    I should have said it’s been awhile since I’ve mapped it out.still need to get the guthook for this section

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Totally understand....what’s your thoughts on 5 days? He’s usually good for 15 mpd on NC AT but his last bike was few years back we did Art Loeb and it kicked his but in 2.5 days...how tough is terrain? I haven’t ever really researched the terrain in SMNP

I try to average about 12 mpd. Son's gotten old enough and I've gained enough weight that we walk about the same speed.
    We've done several 4 night trips in GSMNP. Once did a 5 night, but the 1st day was a day-hike staying at a front country campsite that night.

...From Davenport------climb up to mt cammerrer, ride the ridge up with some ups and downs over to
    Nothing on the AT is ever "all down hill".
    I've twice made a two night loop out of hiking over-to and up Eagle Creek and returned on the AT.
    By the time I get to Doe knob (in theory the start of the "it's all down hill") and I can fell every little 20', 30' or 50' climb you wind up having to do as you walk "down" the ridge line. And that's not including the climb from Twenty Mile to Shuckstack.

Leonidas

The distance on the Appalachian Trail betweenTN32-Davenport Gap, TN 239.1 andFontana Dam, NC 166.7is 72.4 miles.Estimated ascent in section is 20,080' Estimated descent in section is 20,320'
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Nothing on the AT is ever "all down hill".

ahhhhh.....

it's essentially all down hill from shuckstack...

two little blips of a rise, but majority is downhill...

and after a week of coming over from davenport----this stretch coming down will be easy...

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

it's essentially all down hill from shuckstack...
    two little blips of a rise, but majority is downhill...
    Of course you're obviously right... but after climbing Eagle Creek plus an additional accumulated 1,000' climb along the AT between Bote Mtn and Doe Knob... doesn't keep me from cursing every 10' rise I climb coming down from shuckstack

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++