WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Cool Hi, All, Newbie Here.....

Greetings from Atlanta, y'all. :-) This past summer, starting in July, we (hubby and I...and our dog) started doing weekly day hikes. This spring/early summer (once we've finished acquiring All The Things), we are going to be doing our first overnight backpacking weekend trips. So far, we've done two day hikes on the AT... Woody Gap to Gooch Gap & back again, and Neel Gap to Blood Mountain Shelter & back again. I've absolutely fallen in love with the AT. We are planning to - either in June for our anniversary, or the first week of September - spend an entire week on the AT...start at Springer Mountain and see how far we can go...get a shuttle back. That's about the extent of our "plan" for now...would welcome any advice, input, suggestions, etc.

Glad to be here... and Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKat View Post
    Greetings from Atlanta, y'all. :-) This past summer, starting in July, we (hubby and I...and our dog) started doing weekly day hikes. This spring/early summer (once we've finished acquiring All The Things), we are going to be doing our first overnight backpacking weekend trips. So far, we've done two day hikes on the AT... Woody Gap to Gooch Gap & back again, and Neel Gap to Blood Mountain Shelter & back again. I've absolutely fallen in love with the AT. We are planning to - either in June for our anniversary, or the first week of September - spend an entire week on the AT...start at Springer Mountain and see how far we can go...get a shuttle back. That's about the extent of our "plan" for now...would welcome any advice, input, suggestions, etc.

Glad to be here... and Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Funny, our first AT section was ten years ago for our 20th anniversary. Advice? Well, you can read a bunch of books, watch some videos, and hang out here on WhiteBlaze, but really the best education is to get out there and start walking. Once you've spent a week in the woods, you know at least 75% of what you need to learn, and maybe 85% of what the more experienced hikers know. After all, it's just following white blazes....

And happy thanksgiving to you and yours!

Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Funny, our first AT section was ten years ago for our 20th anniversary. Advice? Well, you can read a bunch of books, watch some videos, and hang out here on WhiteBlaze, but really the best education is to get out there and start walking. Once you've spent a week in the woods, you know at least 75% of what you need to learn, and maybe 85% of what the more experienced hikers know. After all, it's just following white blazes....

And happy thanksgiving to you and yours!
    Thanks! :-) Our real debate is whether to go for the week of our anniversary (June 30), or that first week of September (both weeks piggy-back on 3-day weekends, giving us more trail time). The pros of June are: 1. it's our anniversary, 2. not so cold at night, and 3. maybe less peopley?? Cons are the obvious: hot as heck (but up in mountains, it's at least a little cooler...isn't it??), humid as heck, and bugs. Pros of first week of September are: 1. Cooler days/nights, and 2. fewer bugs. Cons are: 1. much chillier nights (though my Yankee husband would love that, lol) and 2. Perhaps extra-peoplely with folks coming out to look at leaves???

Would it be unbearably awful that last week of June? Or unbearably crowded that first week of September?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKat View Post
    ...Would it be unbearably awful that last week of June? Or unbearably crowded that first week of September?
    First week of September will still be warm, and possibly even hot. Last week of June is almost unbearable unless you're up in New England, at least for me. It's possible to have a cool week, but I sure wouldn't count on it.

People looking at leaves are looking from the roads and overlooks mostly. When you're in the woods, the leaves are above you (or on the ground). Hard to get a good view of fall colors from underneath the trees. Also, most dayhikers won't venture more than 2-3 miles from their car. You won't see them except in a few spots.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    First week of September will still be warm, and possibly even hot. Last week of June is almost unbearable unless you're up in New England, at least for me. It's possible to have a cool week, but I sure wouldn't count on it.

People looking at leaves are looking from the roads and overlooks mostly. When you're in the woods, the leaves are above you (or on the ground). Hard to get a good view of fall colors from underneath the trees. Also, most dayhikers won't venture more than 2-3 miles from their car. You won't see them except in a few spots.
    Thanks! That's what I suspected. :-)

aboard, MamaKat and hubby and dog!

I don't have any advice for that far south, yet . There's alot of time between now and then. Get all your things and practice wherever you can.
    Weekends within 1hr drive or backyard. Are y'all thinking hammocks or tent?
    FWIW, there's a couple on YouTube channel syntax 77 that go everywhere together and hike, really great quality video and entertaining and they really know there gear , food, packs. They go hammocks and tents depends on the trip. Oh and now they have a dog that's pretty cool they have a pack for him , his own pad , hammock etc....( and there's nothing wrong with starting out with Walmart stuff syntax 77 last video that is exactly what they used).

You don't need any advice from anyone here. Passion and desire to do it is all that is needed. Enjoy your week long trip!
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

I like the suffusing of the color under the leaves, more the the view from afar.

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    You don't need any advice from anyone here. Passion and desire to do it is all that is needed. Enjoy your week long trip!
    Huh, best and most honest advice I've heard in a long time!!

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    This is as good as the advice can really get here on WB LOL but everyone is pretty helpful and there IS a lot of logistical experience to pull from.
    WELCOME!!!
    Here is my 2 cents FWIW

Georgia Temps: You will so no relevant difference in day or night temps from June to September down south. Probably wont really see any noticeable nightly differences until a night in October.

The people: A lot of folks want solitude. And unfortunately for those folks, it can be hard to find on the AT BUT by selecting campsites away from shelter locations, and only large enough for 1-2 tents you can greatly decrease your "downtime" exposure to others.

Other things to consider: lots of folks like to pack their fears, this equals a tougher walk due to a heavier pack. Try and set a goal of no more then 30 lbs per pack. It will be tough starting out but its fun and will make the walk more enjoyable.

If your dog will be going on the week long hike, there is a dog thread here that can be both helpful as well as discouraging.

Length of Trip: "Start at springer and see how far north we get" I love that mentality and have used it on many hikes to just get done as much as I could. IF this is the case, have the contact Ron Brown in your deck of cards. He shuttles from Springer to Fontana Dam so where ever you call it "quits" at, he can come pick you up and take you back to car. Just call and talk to him prior about your plan. Sooner the better as he books up fast.

Good luck and enjoy the ride, if you are addicted now, wait till you get home from that first long trip and think about the trail....
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

If you want to spend a week, and are smart...you would go to Fontana Dam and hike north to I-40. That is the best you can do in one week near Atlanta

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    This is as good as the advice can really get here on WB LOL but everyone is pretty helpful and there IS a lot of logistical experience to pull from.
    WELCOME!!!
    Here is my 2 cents FWIW

Georgia Temps: You will so no relevant difference in day or night temps from June to September down south. Probably wont really see any noticeable nightly differences until a night in October.

The people: A lot of folks want solitude. And unfortunately for those folks, it can be hard to find on the AT BUT by selecting campsites away from shelter locations, and only large enough for 1-2 tents you can greatly decrease your "downtime" exposure to others.

Other things to consider: lots of folks like to pack their fears, this equals a tougher walk due to a heavier pack. Try and set a goal of no more then 30 lbs per pack. It will be tough starting out but its fun and will make the walk more enjoyable.

If your dog will be going on the week long hike, there is a dog thread here that can be both helpful as well as discouraging.

Length of Trip: "Start at springer and see how far north we get" I love that mentality and have used it on many hikes to just get done as much as I could. IF this is the case, have the contact Ron Brown in your deck of cards. He shuttles from Springer to Fontana Dam so where ever you call it "quits" at, he can come pick you up and take you back to car. Just call and talk to him prior about your plan. Sooner the better as he books up fast.

Good luck and enjoy the ride, if you are addicted now, wait till you get home from that first long trip and think about the trail....
    Thanks so much!! This is very helpful. :-) I'll look up Ron Brown for shuttling, as that's the part I was most unfamiliar with arranging. I'm super excited! I'm leaning towards first week of September, but gosh that seems forever away LOL! Tho it would be somewhat poetic... the first time I ever set foot on the AT was September 5, 2020, at Woody Gap, which was the start of this love affair with the Trail.

Why wait until September? You could do some overnight weekend trips or three day weekends if you can arrange a Friday or Monday off. Plenty of trails and places to camp in the National Forest which aren't on the AT. It would be good practice to learn how to set up and use your gear, figure out what you need and what you don't.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

we do have some backpacking trips planned for May/June/July (and sooner than that, once we acquire everything we need)... This will just be our BIG trip for the year, all on the AT. We've got weekend trips planned at Cloudland Canyon and Pine Mountain State Park so far.

Images

As others have said, it's gonna be hot and buggy any time June through September in GA. Bring bug spray, plan to get up and start hiking early while it's cooler then take a siesta in the afternoon heat. Also plan to drink 3-4L of water per day to avoid dehydration.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    As others have said, it's gonna be hot and buggy any time June through September in GA. Bring bug spray, plan to get up and start hiking early while it's cooler then take a siesta in the afternoon heat. Also plan to drink 3-4L of water per day to avoid dehydration.
    Thanks! We've pretty much decided on 8/28 to 9/6. :-)

++ New Posts ++