I am hoping to tackle the PCT in '21, but the conservation corps that I'm working for in COVID times has moved the end date of my term back from March 28th to April 17th and then to May 1st (due to a combination of logistical/scheduling mistakes and extending the winter furlough) so it's looking like my intended mid-April NOBO start might not be feasible.

Butttt, with the extended winter furlough, I have three full weeks off over the holidays, so I'm considering doing the first 150ish miles of trail. Then, if I can't start until early May because of my work obligations, I can start where I leave off, and it will be as if I started in April instead of being forced to choose between the time pressure of a May NOBO start or else switching to SOBO. I'm already in Arizona, so it would be a fairly easy drive, no air travel needed, and I have an aunt in SoCal who can potentially help with shuttling. I have good gear for temperatures down to 15 degrees or so. But before I move forward with these plans, I have a few questions that y'all might be able to help with.

1) Should I expect to see many other hikers on the trail at this time of year? I like a bit of company, but ideally not a lot with the pandemic going on. I'm confident in my ability to safely backpack alone, but it might be nice for mental health reasons to not be in total isolation.

2) Your favorite guidebook? On the AT, I used both AWOL and Guthook. I plan to download Guthook for the PCT but I'd like something on paper too.

3) Permit situation? Am I correct in assuming that for a section hike in this area outside of thru season, I don't need a permit? I know the PCTA hasn't made a decision regarding 2021 thru permits yet, and if they decide next month to recommend against thru-hiking, I will respect that decision, but my current understanding is that section hikes are permitted as long as you are self-supported. As a transplant patient, I am already extremely vigilant with my COVID precautions and I would obviously continue to follow all the guidelines. My plan would be to put together my resupply ahead of time and have it delivered to me near the trail by my aunt in the area so that I wouldn't have to go into town.

4) Anything else I need to consider that make this plan a good/bad idea?

Thanks for your advice!