WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for a Down 0 degree sleeping bag

Hello,

I do most of my section hiking in the NC, TN, GA, mountains in the fall and winter and I'm looking for a light 0 degree down bag. I already have a kelty 0 which is very warm but is 5 pounds with stuff sack. I was hoping to do better weight wise. Would consider a true 20 degree bag.

Any help is appreciated and welcome.

Floyd

Western Mountaineering
    Warm sleeper : Versalite
    Cold sleeper : Antelope
    Both with appropriate clothes and an Xtherm air mattress, ~R-7
    I have the 20 degree WM Alpinlite and have been comfortable with the Xtherm and appropriate clothing at 10F. I would have been okay at slightly lower temps.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Have a Western Mountaineering UltraLite 20* and at only 29oz. Kept me very comfortable last night with weather down into the 20s.

FWIW also have a WM HightLite 35* at 16oz for the summer. At this point I would feel comfortable recommending any of their products (and sewn in the USA). First started out 10 years ago with Kelty 20* and 40* bags (lower $), but very happy now with my investments in WM. I have always said when you invest in lighter gear it pays dividends every mile you walk with it. Being Christmas coming up, you could give yourself a gift that just keeps giving.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Another for Western Mountaineering.

Enlightened equipment
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Consider the REI brand of bags. I'm a Western Mounatineering disciple myself, between my wife and I we own 5 of them. But man, are they pricy. Go that way if you can afford them (I suggest the 10 degree version, forget its name).

But we're talking $600 for that bag. The REI Magma, for example, is more like $400, and with a 20% coupon, $320, roughly half the WM price. I've heard nothing but good things from some close friends about those bags. This bag does have a bit less girth then some bags, if that's important to you (it is very much to me).

Just a thought if you'd rather spend $320 vs. $600 or so.

For the record, great quality gear, especially sleeping bags are worth the price, but I backpack all the time, year 'round so my "cost per night" is cheap even for WM bags.

Here's a link to the 15 degree REI Magma. It's probably similar in overall warmth to the 20 degree WM.

https://www.rei.com/product/148248/r...eping-bag-mens

thanks for this, ive been eyeing the WM bags but im just starting out on overnighters and can't seem to quite pull the trigger on them.
    The REI looks pretty good to try out...

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Consider the REI brand of bags. I'm a Western Mounatineering disciple myself, between my wife and I we own 5 of them. But man, are they pricy. Go that way if you can afford them (I suggest the 10 degree version, forget its name).

But we're talking $600 for that bag. The REI Magma, for example, is more like $400, and with a 20% coupon, $320, roughly half the WM price. I've heard nothing but good things from some close friends about those bags. This bag does have a bit less girth then some bags, if that's important to you (it is very much to me).

Just a thought if you'd rather spend $320 vs. $600 or so.

For the record, great quality gear, especially sleeping bags are worth the price, but I backpack all the time, year 'round so my "cost per night" is cheap even for WM bags.

Here's a link to the 15 degree REI Magma. It's probably similar in overall warmth to the 20 degree WM.

https://www.rei.com/product/148248/r...eping-bag-mens

Look at Sawtooth 15. Draft collar makes a huge difference in warmth.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I should have posted in the subject area WTB.

I see many suggestions, and I thank you for that, but nobody that wants to sell.

Any bags that want to get sold that may fit the bill?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Floyd

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Western Mountaineering
    Be Prepared

I have a Zpacks Solo 5F, Green, Broad, X-long bag. Only used one night in the woods.
    Paid $419 new. Take $250.

++ New Posts ++