WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Well that's encouraging at least. Glad your issues have generally resolved on their own. My knee is structurally ok - not much risk of it completely blowing out. Just some osteo-arthritis type pain. I feel it most on the steep downhills. Maybe I will look into using a wrap or something to give it a little more support. I definitely intend to keep hiking - have lots of trips planned in the near future.

Always look forward to your trip reports, uncle fungus!

what happened to the poor puppy??

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    Always look forward to your trip reports, uncle fungus!

what happened to the poor puppy??
    It followed out on South Fork trail and I saw the owner parked at the trailhead and the dog was not far behind. Good ending.

Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Patman and I backpack Seven Mile Ridge heading East to Hangover Mt and stop along the ridge for this neato pic...Patman on Hangover Mt. The best view in the South?? Yes...On Day 12 it's time for me and Patman to split up...I reach Slickrock Creek at crossing 11 (above Wildcat Falls) and hunker in on Nov 30 for a big snowstorm hitting the NC mountains. I stay in this campsite a couple days and endure some cold temps at around 12F.
    Huh. I was going to hike Hangover Mtn on 12/1 as my first stop on a road trip, but that snow screwed up the roads around there, and I skipped it.
    If this keeps up, our paths could cross someday. Maybe we could trade shelters for the night

Thanks for taking the time to share your good times!

Glad to hear all is good at the home front . That's one lucky dog got to spend the night in the Hilleburg, that's so awesome of you to do that.

Did you hear the bear that bit your tent, were you inside the tent at the time?

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to share your good times!

Glad to hear all is good at the home front . That's one lucky dog got to spend the night in the Hilleburg, that's so awesome of you to do that.

Did you hear the bear that bit your tent, were you inside the tent at the time?
    I was right in the middle of a late night wind advisory with gusts around 55mph along with pelting rain---and it happened around 4am on Thanksgiving morning.

Here's a blurb on the Mt LeConte blog about that day---

we are entrenched in a Wind Advisory that lasts into the early part of Thanksgiving. Sustained winds out of the south will continue to hammer the region at 25-30mph, with gusts of 55mph expected. Strong rainstorms are moving across the state and should arrive not long after lunch time . . .

See this here---
    http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-p...vember-25-2020

I was right in the middle of a late night wind advisory with gusts around 55mph along with pelting rain---and it happened around 4am on Thanksgiving morning.

Here's a blurb on the Mt LeConte blog about that day---

we are entrenched in a Wind Advisory that lasts into the early part of Thanksgiving. Sustained winds out of the south will continue to hammer the region at 25-30mph, with gusts of 55mph expected. Strong rainstorms are moving across the state and should arrive not long after lunch time . . .

See this here---
    http://www.highonleconte.com/daily-p...vember-25-2020
    Well that explains it ,with that weather the bear was just trying to get into the Hotel Hilleburg and curl up in the vestibule like the dog and spend Thanksgiving with you.

Quote Originally Posted by JNI64 View Post
    Well that explains it ,with that weather the bear was just trying to get into the Hotel Hilleburg and curl up in the vestibule like the dog and spend Thanksgiving with you.
    He should've waited a couple hours more when I was awake and I could've given him a lesson on Tent Door Zippers and How They Work.

Tree limbs, bears the berg is taking a beating. John camping in right off the trail. That's the one leading out to the fir grove (54A)?

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Tree limbs, bears the berg is taking a beating. John camping in right off the trail. That's the one leading out to the fir grove (54A)?
    John was camping in the middle of the bald and away from the fir grove. 54A (North and South) does not go into the fir grove but is the trail(s) which climbs up to Bob from Cold Spring Gap (54A South) or up from Cherry Log Gap (54A North).

Hoppin John's Big Agnes tent on Bob Bald.

A cold morning on Bob Bald showing John's camp as he packs up his nifty McHale pack made with full spectra.
    Duh, I completely forgot about the second pic which makes more sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++