Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
Excellent summary; I don't quite agree with the "crampons are dangerous" part, but agree on everything else. I suppose for rank beginners crampons are not a first choice. I do see lots of ripped trouser legs from beginners using them in my mountaineering classes. I suppose there is occasional blood there too...

We use a lot of "technical snowshoes" here out west, like the MSR Lightning Ascents, which have a serrated edge around the entire perimeter. Great for icy conditions and side-hill traversing.
That you see ripped pant legs is one indication of what I was referencing, but perhaps more importantly they can easily take inexperienced people into places they should not be without the equipment or knowledge to continue or retreat. I have seen both "rank" beginners and some with a bit of experience get into trouble with them over the decades. Not knowing the experience level of the OP is why I put the caution in the post. Like firearms, crampons are not dangerous in and of themselves, they are simply intolerant of carelessness, mistakes, and errors in judgment.