WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default One of those day in the whites

An excerpt from the Mt Washington Observatory forecast for today 12/24 into tonight

Gusts at this time look to be tapping into the 160s and 170s and some models are indicating that as a low-level jet passes, a few gusts could surpass 180 mph.

Add in an expected 3" of relatively warm rain on top of of snow pack in less than 12 hours and its definitely not the time to do a hike up anywhere in the presidentials.

Good Grief that's intense!!

Just think if all that rain was snow it would be 3' or so.

And what does that compare to a cat 5 hurricane?

I know i stick my arm out the window at 60 mph when it's raining and it feels like needles. Wonder what 180 mph rain feels like?

Santa better figure in a reroute for that section!!

Some towns in NH got 42 inches of snow in one storm, it was fluffy stuff but probably equivalent to 3" of rain. Luckilly those towns are bit south of the predicted rain jackpot.

Here is comment from the one of the observers up on the mountain from past wind events https://www.mountwashington.org/expe....aspx?id=38289

Plenty of videos on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc3a1fqit-4

Man that looks like alot of fun. That's funny how they are able to just get on their sleds and the winds push them across the deck.
    I wonder how do they stop .

And I'd be out there to getting in that century club. What an adrenaline rush!!

We're getting the 3" rain today !
    We had 10' snow a couple days ago it all melted and now all this rain, more like a spring monsoons.

Good thing I smoked that bacon wrapped deer roast and pork butt yesterday!

Thanks so much for posting this!
    Those conditions are hard to even imagine.
    It's fun checking out the Mt Washington Observatory weather site. But, I've gotten out of the habit and haven't checked in a while. This was a good reminder for me.

I always think how humans are so ill equipped for most of the weather around us. We can struggle with hypothermia in relatively mild temps. Just taking a lunch break during a vigorous hike on a cold day could cause problems if you don't regulate your temp by layering clothes on. We can't swim in the ocean safely for any decent period for most of the year in the mid-Atlantic U.S. Can't even safely go in further north (without a wetsuit or other gear).

Then, there are the conditions on Mt. Washington!!

They didnt get the expected wind gusts but all the rivers draining the whites were near or at flood stage. I am waiting for the sun to come up to see the summit but whatever snow I had in and around my yard is gone. Looks like we get repeat next weekend for New Years. I did take a drive around yesterday and saw a few vehicles parked at trailheads. Either real hard cores or just plain stupid beginners.

Looks like not quite all the snow melted off the mountain, the gullies still have some. A dozen cars at Appalachia (trailhead for Mt Madison) this morning. A better day to be up there then yesterday, but still not a very good day to be up there. I bet it's kind of icy...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++