WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

'My other question would be how do you keep track of the small items, like pocket knife, lighter, toothbrush, currently I keep that stuff in the brain of the pack I use. I guess I will have to see how it all fits in.'

Recently, I bought a special portable toothbrush case with sunitizing effect. so, now it takes more space.

I have been wearing the pack on day hikes and figuring out what I like and don't like. So I have removed the Lumbar pad, did not like the way it fit. Now I ordered the water bottle pouch and I will be removing the Aqua clip. The pack is comfortable.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Staystrong View Post
    'My other question would be how do you keep track of the small items, like pocket knife, lighter, toothbrush, currently I keep that stuff in the brain of the pack I use. I guess I will have to see how it all fits in.'

Recently, I bought a special portable toothbrush case with sunitizing effect. so, now it takes more space.
    Personally, I don't carry a knife anymore, lighter is in my cook pot and an extra in my F.A.K. Toothbrush is in my F.A.K. as that is also where I store floss and such.
    I use the hipbelt pouches on mine as I like having my keys, tissue and chapstick in one side and my headlamp and pepper spray in the other.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I used to live and die by my pack brain. I definitely probably overloaded it (weight-wise) from time to time. Now that I have my Ohm 2.0, I do not miss it in the slightest.
    By the time I took off my pack, unzipped the brain and found what I was looking for, I could have taken off my pack, opened the top of the pack, and found what I was looking for. Not having a brain allows me to arrange weight in my pack better at really no cost. As others have said, I find my hipbelt pockets to be much more useful for small items (phone, map, etc.)
    2005 SOBO Attempt (500 miles)
    2024 (?) SOBO Planning

For anyone who doesn't get their email, and like me, might have been pushing it for a weeks' food load in a 37L pack, there is now a 60L version with 47L pack body.

I just saw this the other day! So glad I have held off on placing my order. I still can't believe there are no Arc Air reviews on YouTube yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by TS-WNY View Post
    I just saw this the other day! So glad I have held off on placing my order. I still can't believe there are no Arc Air reviews on YouTube yet though.
    Just FYI, if you have a recent-vintage Arc Blast the new curved stays will work with it. Email Zpacks for specifics, but I know someone who has done it and have seen the pack... it's an easy conversion.

The product description for the arc air says that bear canisters can fit in the top half of the pack. That’s not great for weight distribution. With the canister and food being the heaviest items in my pack, I don’t want the center of gravity in the top of the pack but lower. This is why I returned the arc blast. My ULA circuit accommodates my canister all the way through the pack body so I can place it where I want it. I have my sleeping bag at the bottom, my canister right on top, clothing around the canister, and then lighter items like shelter and stove above the canister. Can’t seem to do that in the zPacks backpacks unfortunately.

I am going to be pretty hard pressed to not buy this, looks great.

Again, for those who don't get the updates:
    Now there's an "Arc Air Zip 62L Robic".
    Seems likely the Arc Blast and Arc Haul could soon be a thing of the past...

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Again, for those who don't get the updates:
    Now there's an "Arc Air Zip 62L Robic".
    Seems likely the Arc Blast and Arc Haul could soon be a thing of the past...
    Could be. However I know some folks who still prefer the ability to tweak the amount of arc, or sometimes not using the arc at all. Wouldn't bother me since I like the arc all the time, but what would tick me off is if they had only a panel loader and not top loader. And a 62L in Robic with that big zipper is going to start approaching Osprey weights. Nothing wrong with that as long as they don't abandon the lighter options.

From a manufacturing standpoint the pre-curved stays have got to be mighty attractive, though. I'm still diggin' the Arc Air 50.

Images

I have one of the early Arc Haul packs, got it in 2014 or 15. I have really enjoyed it, but it's large for warm weather hikes. That Arc Air 50 liter is looking like a great option. I'd keep my Arc Haul for colder weather trips.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

My Arc Haul is the same vintage, one of the earliest ones they made, and it will remain my winter go-to pack for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    I have one of the early Arc Haul packs, got it in 2014 or 15. I have really enjoyed it, but it's large for warm weather hikes. That Arc Air 50 liter is looking like a great option. I'd keep my Arc Haul for colder weather trips.
    I just ordered the 60, only 15g difference, seems like the option of the bigger space is worth it.

Does anyone have a review on this pack yet? I can't believe there isn't more out there yet.

Does anyone have a review on this pack yet? I can't believe there isn't more out there yet.
    I got mine but have only used it on one 17 mile hike, one of the stays tore the holder about 10 miles in making it a weight shifted pain to hike with the rest of the way. It was fine before that. Zpacks fixed it quickly but I haven’t had it back out yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++