WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: HH bubble pad?

Default HH bubble pad?

Wanted to get a read of your experiences with the HH bubble pad? Pros and cons.
    TLC - Trails Loving Care

Images

I bought one about five years ago. Never used it. Too bulky for my pack system.

I have used one over a couple of hiking seasons. I lost mine because the surface is so slippery it slid out of my bedroll somewhere between Fontana and Clingman's Dome. Lost my Clark hammock too. ( I am old school and prefer an external frame pack because it sits further off my back so I don't sweat as much, plus if I need to hike into a destination and stay there, external frames can carry more weight). I just bought a replacement pad because it definitely helps keep me warm. One improvement it really needs - absolutely essential IMO - is four grommets, two on each side, at the top where your head would rest, spaced 3 or 4 inches apart (two sets, a pair on each side of where your head will rest, placed near the cloth seam). Run some strings or twine through all four, bringing two cords up in a loop that ties into the upper neck or throat of the hammock. Most hammocks have a loop of some sort in the upper neck of the hammock. Secured this way it will not slide down during the night, becoming wadded up, not doing its job of keeping you warm. I would call it worthless without this modification, and almost essential with the modification. Any place that prints posters - OfficeMax, Office Depot, most printing stores, have grommets and the press, and will only charge a small fee to add four grommets - no need to DIY. Figure out where you want them to go and mark the spots. I am really surprised that HH doesn't already sell the pad with grommets installed. Next, you will need a stuff sack or velcro straps or something to secure it to your pack - it takes up too much room to put inside most packs. It weighs next to nothing, so weight is not an issue, but bulk is. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Thx AD for the wealth of info. The one I have has two rubber cords that attach to the HH undercover. It seems to stay in place since you are not lying directly on top of it. I will give it a field tryout soon to see how it behaves.
    TLC - Trails Loving Care

++ New Posts ++