WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default What do you sleep in in warmer temps; around 60*ish

Ive been rethinking my summer weather sleep system. I have a army surplus woobie/poncho liner. I have no idea what the temperature rating is, doubt it has an official rating. If I had to guess I would say 55-60?

Anyhow It works great! BUT.. like all gear junkies.. is there something better? It is synthetic it compresses ok, about the same size as my 20* quilt. It weighs 28oz/1.7lbs. I is huge when laid out on the ground... easily the size of a queen comforter. I like that I can wrap up in it if I need to.

Just wondering if something like a sleeping bag liner or even a 40* quilt would be lighter and more packable? Ive been comparing the
    S2S Reactor Extreme 14oz
    https://seatosummitusa.com/collectio...-extreme-liner

Fleece 14.8oz
    https://seatosummitusa.com/collectio...r-fleece-liner

and also the Traveller 50* sleeping bag 17.5oz
    https://seatosummitusa.com/collectio...=7896146411548

On my last trip in VA, it started to get hot. Real hot, like 90's during the day. So I decided to send my sleeping bag home and just use my silk liner and a light fleece throw blanket. Well guess what? I froze my butt off the next night, even with all my clothes on. It still gets pretty damn chilly early in the morning. The evening thunderstorm that cooled the temps down didn't help. I ended up hiking back to town, getting a shuttle to the bus station and going home! I had been out for about 5 weeks already and was about ready to call it quits anyway.

I would say at least a 50 degree bag.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Just reminded me, on my thru hike in the Shenandoah's it was getting pretty warm but one rainy day with a chilly night expected I get to the shelter and find one other poor dude there that ended up sleeping in his garbage bag liner with everything he had on that night because he had sent his sleeping bag home.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

Good point, Ill scratch the liners only...

I wonder how that Traveller bag is?

Lots of options out there, but I can only comment on what worked for me. During the summer months of my thru hike last year i used a Big Agnes Farmington liner bag, very light weight made with Primaloft. Goes for about $120. It was perfect for most nights unless your body temp is on the low side and you are 'always cold.' When i was in the higher elevations (e.g., Smokies) on a cooler night i threw my space blanket over me. Only caveat to that is if there is any serious humidity in the air you will draw condensation under space blanket making bag wet on top in morning. What i found generally was i could safely use this method when i camped on breezy ridgetops, which i made a point to look for every night anyway (my favorite camp choice in summer months by far). If you sleep out on a bald or low in a valley or gap, where many shelters are located, there will be too much condensation occurring. To supplement my bag on cooler nights i also have tucked my puffy jacket around my footbox area, just another option to supplement the warmth of your bag. Have a blast!

REI Heliosack was pretty nice for summer for me.

I have a 40 deg rated quilt for summer or shoulder season. Quilts are nice as you can use the many ways to adjust to many temps. I'm likely to wear a lightweigt base layer too, just so I don't have too much skin-on-pad contact.

It’s just too difficult to out-guess what the temps are going to do. I go as light as I can, compromising comfort on a lot of equipment, but one thing I absolutely won’t compromise is my 20 degree quilt in three season. I’ve never wished for a lighter quilt. It’s too easy to just throw off the quilt on warm nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You might be interested in Western Mountaineering's "Everlite" -- it is very lightweight (14 to 17oz, depending on length) and is designed to be opened up for use as a quilt, or it zips up to be a sleeping bag if you want. WM also really touts the Everlite's use as an "overbag" -- it will easily add a real 10° to any sleep system. It is very comfortable, versatile, and lightweight. Mine is basically my new Woobie LOL
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

What i sleep with in warmer temps is i have a 50 degree synthetic rei mummy bag I've had for years.

But for years now I've been using quilts and my summer quilt is the Costco quilt for $20 , it is 5'×5' I don't know the weight maybe 10 oz? And stuffs small and drys quick.

Somebody on here maybe Traffic Jam had sewn a foot box onto hers . I like the quilt because it's so versatile.

Journal Entries

I use an army poncho liner, If it gets cooler I just double it but only above.50. Anyone else?

Journal Entries

Oops missed the post up above. Anyway, it works with a pad and if needed the poncho overhead.

Journal Entries

About sending the sleeping bag home. I cannot count the times that I've encountered people like that. They tend to get a big surprise, especially in Va. I got surprised by a nor'easter in July no less. The temp dropped to 29 up there! I was looking for one the ponies to help keep me warm. No luck though.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Because I have a 2lb 32º bag... that compresses very well...
    I haven't found the need to spend money on anything else. I take it in the summer and either use it as a blanket, sleep on top of it, or get in side and leave it open depending upon temperatures.

++ New Posts ++