WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Toaks 650 looks small but is it usfull

I have the Oilcamp XTS and it is 1 liter in size but weights 7.6 oz. I can fit a fuel can, small windscreen and my Soto stove inside of it in the carry bag. I purchased the Toaks 650 cup with lid and it arrived today from Amazon. It is small compared to the Oilcamp XTS. How many of you hikers use the Toaks? I know it can hold 1.5 cups of liquid, but I guess to me it just seems too small. I am new to lowering my weigh of equipment. I guess what I am asking, is it worth giving up the Oilcamp and using the Toaks. Should I have gone with the 750?

Toaks Light Titanium is the good stuff.

The gauge of the titanium increases from 0.3 mm to 0.4 mm going from "Toaks Light Titanium" to "Toaks Titanium". The 650 is "Light", the 750 is not, which adds a significant amount of weight.

The 650 will also nest a 100g fuel canister and a PocketRocket 2 or PocketRocket Deluxe (both tested). Stove goes in first, and make sure it is lying on its flattest side.

Toss a small lighter in there with the stove if you wish. I don't bring a lighter if I'm packing the Deluxe and backpacking with a partner who is bringing a lighter; if I'm alone with the Deluxe I will bring a backup lighter, but I keep it with my repair kit so there is less risk of accidentally losing it, or of it getting wet and failing to work.

Canister goes on top of stove, inverted.

Upside-down lid goes on top. The lip of the lid will just fit the bottom lip of the canister.

Hold it all together with a Litesmith Cross Band or LiteAF Big Pot Sack.

Here's an example with the Snow Peak Trek 600 with the aftermarket Four Dog Stove lid. Nesting works the same way with the Toaks.
    Last edited by blackmagic; 01-02-2021 at 20:31.

i use a Imusa 10cm mug which is 650ml. i put 12oz's of water, a package of knoors sides, a package of starkist chicken & 1/2 a cup of cheddar cheese. can substitute the knoors for ramen with same results

Images

The 650 Toaks holds 2.5 cups with a little head room.

I've tried and DO NOT generally like using pots smaller than about 850 ml. The 650 is way to small for me. It's not that the pot is too small to boil two cups of water in. If all you ever do is boil water pour and it into another container, 650 ml might be fine. BUT, if you ever plan on eating out of your pot, especially if you have any real hiker hunger going (needing more volume of food than fits in such a small pot), I find trying to stir food or boil water with any food in it is way to fiddly and at times dangerous (with high boil-over risk). For short super-ultra-light trips, if I'm taking a stove, I will fiddle with 600-800 ml pots. For trips in general, especially longer trips, for the super small weight savings, the small pots just don't offer enough flexibility/capability for me . . . and melting snow in anything smaller than about a liter is seriously fiddly and annoying.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I've tried and DO NOT generally like using pots smaller than about 850 ml. The 650 is way to small for me. It's not that the pot is too small to boil two cups of water in. If all you ever do is boil water pour and it into another container, 650 ml might be fine. BUT, if you ever plan on eating out of your pot, especially if you have any real hiker hunger going (needing more volume of food than fits in such a small pot), I find trying to stir food or boil water with any food in it is way to fiddly and at times dangerous (with high boil-over risk). For short super-ultra-light trips, if I'm taking a stove, I will fiddle with 600-800 ml pots. For trips in general, especially longer trips, for the super small weight savings, the small pots just don't offer enough flexibility/capability for me . . . and melting snow in anything smaller than about a liter is seriously fiddly and annoying.

Of the same observations. 800 ml or about 27 fl oz. In the SP Mini Solo Ti pot I've been mainly using for solo eating from for about 15 yrs I get a 4 oz can, diddy micro fiber cloth, foldable TI spork, SP TI Lite Max or BRS 3000T, mini Bic, Mg/flint/steel UL fire striker, and clean pr of DT or SW merino socks. A doctored up(broccoli crown pieces, green onion, nuts, seeds, etc) Knorrs side is all that I can stir around and safely cook in.

As far as wt since I'm into UL already have advanced/evolved UL sometimes SUL kits, I tend to systemize so I tend to focus more on total wt of the cook system and TPW(Total Pack Wt) rather than taking a pot's wt out of that context. Food and water wt on a LD hike or any hike that is organized on one 4+day resupply my focus more significantly transfers to consumable wt and bulk.

I ended up ordering the Toaks 900 ml pot with lid. Same diameter as the Oilcamp but a little shorter and 3 ounces less then the Oilcamp

Leonidas

I use the Toaks light 550, but then again, my only use for a pot/stove is warming up water to add to protein shakes when I am out and it is slated to be below 40 degrees on the trip.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bert304 View Post
    I guess what I am asking, is it worth giving up the Oilcamp and using the Toaks. Should I have gone with the 750?
    Give up the Olicamp. Lighten your load.

What have you decided????

I went with the Toaks 900 ml pot with lid. I built a cozy for the pot, both body and top cover. I went with a SOTO Micro Regulator for my stove.

For me, Toaks 550 and either alcohol (Starlyte) or Esbit for times when everything is centered on the 2-cup requirement.

Sterno Inferno when most efficient alcohol is desired and maye some simple cooking, like quick Mac-n-cheese with pepperoni chunks.

JB MiniMo when there's snow on the ground... water, water, everywhere! I actually used it last night to cook up some Korean spicy noodles and added some shrimp and an egg to it. Turned the flame wayyyy down 'til it was about 3 candlepower and it worked great. Daaaa-yumm that was good on a cold night.

++ New Posts ++