WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default who made this stove?

i have this stove n love it. id like to get another but have no idea what brand it is... no markings at all. i got it at rei a long time ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    i have this stove n love it. id like to get another but have no idea what brand it is... no markings at all. i got it at rei a long time ago.
    Not sure what that specific stove is but it is very similar to the pocket rocket and other miniature stoves, all of which are affordable and seem to all get good reviews. You may not be able to find the same exact stove but would probably be just as happy with a similar one.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

see the generator tube in the back?... not a single stove out there has it. this stove kicks ass even in the cold when my pocket rocket n giga power drop out. also i hate those wire flame adjusters... you cant control a nice simmer as you can with a knob.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Even if the same company was still making the stove, chances are the specifications have been "updated" such that features like a "control know" have been replaced with wire flame adjusters (or some other aspect you might not like anymore).

I know I ran into something similar when looking for a new tent...
    10 years ago, when I was looking for a new primary 2 man tent, it was easy enough to find "large" two man tents, and I eventually purchased a Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 with the whopping floor space of 90x58.
    A year ago, I once again needed to search for a new primary 2 man tent. Seemed like just about every two man tent out there had been pushed towards the 86x52/42 trapezoid floor of the popular Big Agnes Copper Spur.
    {I eventually purchased the REI Half Dome 2 Plus with a floor space of 92x56... but issues with the netting made me return it. I eventually gave up looking for a 2 man tent and purchased a 3 man tent as my primary 2 man tent... the Big Agnes Manzanares SL3. With floor dimensions of 90x70/62, that makes is an average of 8" wider than my Lynx Pass, and was about 1/2 pound lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by camper10469 View Post
    see the generator tube in the back?... not a single stove out there has it. this stove kicks ass even in the cold when my pocket rocket n giga power drop out. also i hate those wire flame adjusters... you cant control a nice simmer as you can with a knob.
    A couple thoughts:

1) Generator tubes on gas stoves are intended to route heat into the gas line help to vaporize any liquid gas before it reaches the burner where it needs to be vapor to burn. A generator on an upright canister stove makes no sense since the fuel must already be vapor to reach the top of the canister and enter the burner assembly. BUT, if that generator is conducting heat down to the top of the canister and helping heat the canister (increasing its pressure), similar, but probably not as effectively as a Moulder Strip, it might improve cold weather performance, albeit in a manner probably not intended by the stoves designers. If you set up your pictured burner with an inverted canister, then the generator might make sense.

2) If I were in your situation, I would probably invest in a PocketRocket Deluxe and build a Moulder Strip setup for winter use if that is one of your concerns. The PocketRocket Deluxe has a gas pressure regulator built into it that gives much better simmer control and colder weather flame control than any non-regulated canister stoves (like the one you pictured). Its burner shape also gives better wind resistance than the burner design shown in your picture. And yes, even with its wire flame control "knob", it provides good simmer control.

Although I haven't tested the PocketRocket Deluxe in sub-freezing conditions, I have run several non-regulated canister stoves well below 0 degrees F (-18C), on many occasions, using a Moulder Strip with great success.

Good luck on your mission.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

yeah its a problem finding what we like since upgrades arent always better.

that generator tube takes gas from the canister, then it goes back down to the jet n up the burner. it seems to give me more milage from a canister besides better cold preformance.

the control knob is much nicer than those popular wire controls.

my stove is old n i was wondering if i might find a used one for sale as a backup when this one craps out... hopfully never. but if i cant, ive got several other old canister stoves i havent used in years. it will break my heart when this one dies.

So long as you don't physically damage it, it should last forever. Try not to sit on it, or drop a rock on it
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

China more than likely
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

It kind of looks like a stove in the Primus family... REI used to carry Primus backpacking stoves.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

At least one stove that claims to have good cold weather performance and was updated for simmer control is the JetBoil MiniMo and MicroMo systems.
    I loved using the MicroMo on the JMT... the fuel seemed to last forever.

I specify the Mo systems because the older JetBoil systems came with a stove that was something like a 1/2 turn between full on and off.
    The Mo systems also advertised changes were made for better cold weather performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    It kind of looks like a stove in the Primus family... REI used to carry Primus backpacking stoves.
    I have a primus stove back from the early eighties kicking around somewhere. It did not have the generatortube. Long before the Moulder strip I had a crude version that ran from the burner area down to the old style primus tall cylinder cans to improve low temp operation. I dont think they used a blend back them and think it was pure butane.

I also had cute little Primus lantern of the same vintage but eventually the mantles went out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    A couple thoughts:

1) Generator tubes on gas stoves are intended to route heat into the gas line help to vaporize any liquid gas before it reaches the burner where it needs to be vapor to burn. A generator on an upright canister stove makes no sense since the fuel must already be vapor to reach the top of the canister and enter the burner assembly. BUT, if that generator is conducting heat down to the top of the canister and helping heat the canister (increasing its pressure), similar, but probably not as effectively as a Moulder Strip, it might improve cold weather performance, albeit in a manner probably not intended by the stoves designers. If you set up your pictured burner with an inverted canister, then the generator might make sense.

2) If I were in your situation, I would probably invest in a PocketRocket Deluxe and build a Moulder Strip setup for winter use if that is one of your concerns. The PocketRocket Deluxe has a gas pressure regulator built into it that gives much better simmer control and colder weather flame control than any non-regulated canister stoves (like the one you pictured). Its burner shape also gives better wind resistance than the burner design shown in your picture. And yes, even with its wire flame control "knob", it provides good simmer control.

Although I haven't tested the PocketRocket Deluxe in sub-freezing conditions, I have run several non-regulated canister stoves well below 0 degrees F (-18C), on many occasions, using a Moulder Strip with great success.

Good luck on your mission.
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the cold-weather performance... I know I'm not going back to white gas with this option.

Regarding regulators, they're really just a gimmick and don't offer a lot. Depending on the fuel mix, level, temperature, etc, there is a narrow range right when the canister starts cooling enough to cause a pressure drop that the regulator permits a bit more gas flow to compensate. But if the pressure is dropping then it will very soon be past the point that there isn't enough pressure anyway, and therefore nothing to regulate.

Put simply, it works in a very narrow range, below which it doesn't work at all and above which it isn't necessary at all.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    China more than likely
    That should narrow the search.

Coleman had something similar over 10 years ago , however I am pretty confident in saying that the one in your photo is nether Coleman nor Primus because the gas canisted next to it would be of the same brand and at least the Primus would have its name on that knob.
    I suspect that it came from the same factory as the Coleman but as a generic brand.

BTW, by similar I meant that Coleman had very compact top of canister stove with pre-heat tube. Most stove of this tuype that have a pre -heat tube are of the remote type.
    The Coleman was of the HPX 3000/3004 series.

Can't edit... and yes the reason why top stoves don't have that pre-heat tube is because it does not make sense given you can't get a liquid feed out of the upright canister.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Glad to hear you're enjoying the cold-weather performance...
    Yeah, I play around outside in the mountains a lot in the winter, and I am fundamentally lazy. So I like simple, effective, and problem free. I've found no easier solution to winter "stoving" than my favorite canister stove of the week with a Moulder Strip. I'm surprised they aren't everyone's default, to be honest.

So, thank you Mr. Moulder!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

whats a moulder strip?

how about getting a new jet for this stove? are they a standard thread or brand specific?
    Last edited by camper10469; 01-07-2021 at 16:48.

Moulder Strip (<--- link)

++ New Posts ++