WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Horse Linament

LarWat
    Journal Entries

Default Horse Linament

Okay, so admittedly this is a weird one. I work with horses and in a tack store. I've heard of some people using horse linament for achy muscles and pains. Have any of you? Do you have a preference? Definitely more bang for your buck than some human muscle products.

absorbine liniment gel and DMSO was the bomb for big toe gout flair up till I got on daily med. I used the absorbine on my wife's back once when we were first dating. She pulled it at one of those indoor trampoline fun parks... Yes dear you arnt 20 anymore... She didnt know it was horse meds,, She did ask later, "What the heck was that it sure worked"
    Used it a time or 2 on me after an endurance race.
    Used it on stepson for football pulls/ strained lower back, although I dont care much about him.

Kinda like super bengay,,, no idea of side effects,, for all I know might be laced with steroids.

Equine ancestory may allow use of medications designed for Equus biology, but probably best to consult a professional more closely related to hominids.

DMSO, is a great solvent. It can take what is on top of your skin (like bug repellent grease and oil) and send it right to your liver. There are different levels of purity and horse liniment probably is less pure than something intended for human consumption. In most prescribed applications there are required periodic liver function tests recommended. Unless a person really screws up their liver there are not a lot of symptoms until damage is done so someone using DMSO without a doctor may do in their liver without even knowing it.

Yes there are "creative" uses for DMSO due to its efficiency as a solvent including dissolving things like steroids and pain killers to get them into in the bloodstream quickly. This is definitely guinea pig territory. Liver damage can be cumulative and if it goes, you had better have a good donor lined up.

There are numerous self testimonials on DMSO out there, it is a modern "snake oil" and its relatively cheap to buy a barrel of solvent grade and sell it at a big markup with a fancy label. Side effects take a long time to appear so the seller has low risk and high return, they will be onto their next scam long before the damage they may have done shows up.

I quit using horse liniment in high school because every time the bell rang I would bolt down the hall and it always ended in a trip to the principal's office............

LarWat
    Journal Entries

Haha probably not laced with steroids due to competition regulations but I didn't know that about DMSO. Thanks for the heads up

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I use it every once in a while. Not as greasy as menthol cream
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Anyone else use Won To Yick?It's a woodlock oil.I would not use it on trail though because of the smell.

Images

My wife uses horse linament, no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    My wife uses horse linament, no problems.
    Can you recommend a particular brand?

Thanks,Zelph.I'm so old I used to use Absorbine Jr. which I bought at the drug store.So I guess Absorbine Sr. is what the horses were using all along!

Images

I used the junior a time or two. I wonder if they used it back then for vetrinary use. The spearmint smell is pleasant. Clears my sinuses when I apply it to my wifes upper back and shoulder. I can attest to the fact it is non-greasy

While you are at the farm store, you could also pick up some bag balm.

Alot of girls use horse mane and tail shampoo and conditioners... and show sheen shine
    That Absorbine Gel pictured is same as I have.
    FYI it is not allowed in AERC competition with or without steroids.
    Endurance racing basically doesnt allow anything that doesnt buy lots of advertising in their magazine or sponsor rides.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    While you are at the farm store, you could also pick up some bag balm.
    This is what I use

52286165-69c5-437b-925c-78e3a16bdb01_1.d479ed309c18f2bae4eaddba78b2cc4c.jpeg

Journal Entries

From Google:

Is DMSO harmful to humans?

When applied to the skin: Non-prescription DMSO is POSSIBLY UNSAFE. Some non-prescription DMSO products might be "industrial grade," which is not intended for human use. These products can contain impurities that can cause health issues.

This is all I'll say.

i wouldnt mess with horse meds since you are chancing overdose. big difference in weights n matabolism rates.

Voltaren is for us

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    PXL_20210106_202023022.jpg....Absorbine brand
    I have use this stuff A LOT without any issues. I love it...safe and better (and cheaper) than the human stuff. Works great on sore muscles and tendons.

I always used gloves with DMSO...unless you want anything on your skin to be absorbed into bloodstream. Not such a good idea unless under the care of a professional

++ New Posts ++