Default Shoes, Shuttles, and Shots

Hi all. I’m just looking for any advice and suggestions for an upcoming section hike. Please tell me if anything doesn’t look right.

I’ve done all my thru and long section hikes in LaSportiva Wildcats (I love the grippy bottoms), but it looks like these may not be the right shoes for the FT. I’m planning on a ~282 mi section from 441 (N of Lake City) down to Beachline (E of Orlando). Other than dries well and isn’t awful on the pavement, is there anything specific I would need in the shoe? I’m thinking of using an old pair of Hokas (back when they were super bulky).

I’m going to fly into Jacksonville. It looks like there is a bus to Lake City and I can hitch north to the trail. It’s that or contact the North Florida Trail Blazers to see if a trail angel wants to shuttle me for a few bucks BUT I am not on Facebook and I can’t find another way to contact them. Does anyone have any info about them or transportation suggestions?

It looks like general gun season ends on Jan 24. The site with all the hunting info is a bit of a mess of info. If this info is wrong please let me know. Me not getting shot will be your good karma.

I appreciate the help.

Love not being shot, it’s so great.

Your shoe logic sounds reasonable.

I don't know if these links will get you to an email address but you can try:
    https://www.floridatrail.org/about-u.../trailblazers/
    https://www.meetup.com/NorthFloridaT.../trailblazers/

I believe hunting season in my area ends February 21. Hunters are generally nice people happy to share the forest. But if you see one with a beer in one hand and rifle in the other, just keep hiking. I've only seen this once, about 18 years ago, but see plenty of evidence (beer cans) to believe it may still occur. Wear plenty of orange. I wear an orange t-shirt, have an orange pack cover, and have orange headgear (either visor or hat). Also, stick to trails and roads when in hunting areas.

Where the trail passes through private property that leases to hunters, for example timber land, I was actually stopped once. I offered my FTA card (he declined) and pointed out that I was hiking the FT, not hunting. I even pointed to a nearby blaze. I did this in a calm, friendly manner. Once he realized I wasn't hunting on or near his lease he relaxed.

Images

I can shuttle you. Chief Duffy Shuttles text 904 562-0008

General gun season ends 1/24 in zone c where you are doing most of the hike. I hike frequently in this zone. Wear orange and stick to established campsites. There are more hunters this year than in years past from my recent travels through ONF.

Thanks all. I’m heading out after the 24th and very happy not to stay in designated campsites. I’ve done the Superior Hiking Trail twice and have had my fill of designated spots! Thought I would double check in case there were any WMAs or private lands that are an exception to the rule.

++ New Posts ++