WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Staying on my sleeping pad(s) custom product

The current equipment-
    Pads- Klymit insulated static V and thermarest v lite sol pad pair. Right now the pads work for me, I can double up in cold weather or drop one to reduce weight.

Sleeping bag- I have a Klymit 23/10 mummy bag for cold weather and a cheap fleece Walmart type bag for warm.

The problem I have is I slid off the bottom pad this past fall camping on a slope and then slid further off the top pad.
    The winter trio is all slick material.

What can I make that would enable me to hold my pads together, I picture some kind of strap attached to the foam layer or that is standalone and wraps around both. What material is lightweight and strong. maybe elastic, maybe webbing. and where can I order it without needing to buy a spool that’s 100 yards?

On top of this, is there something I can make that helps me not slide off the top pad when I’m in my mummy bag? The bag is barely big enough for me so it can’t constrain the baffles expanding either direction

Sewing and skill isn’t a problem, I have access to someone who designs sewn products from scratch.

double sided velcro tape.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Use this velcro stap to hold both pads together:

VELCRO 1806-OW-PB/B Black Nylon Onewrap Velcro Strap, Hook and Loop, 2" Wide, 10' Length

https://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-1806-O.../dp/B00I0TTVVC

The strap may also prevent your bag from sliding off.

This product might provide the gripp-y-ness you need at low cost ($18) and low weight (2-3 oz).

https://www.gossamergear.com/product...nt=30497164620

It appears they're out right now, but some non-slip shelf/drawer liner material would do the same thing. $14 for 10' x 24". Not sure of weight.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Duck-Suprem...-Liner/3137959

You might try running a few stripes of seam sealer or seam grip on the surfaces of your pads to provide friction where they contact each other. Hook velcro can be a nuisance to deal with when it is not attached to the pile side, but velcro would also likely work well as noted above.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

here ya go... i get this in my local 99¢ store.

https://www.amazon.com/Gorilla-Grip-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Images

The problem I have is I slid off the bottom pad this past fall camping on a slope and then slid further off the top pad.
    The winter trio is all slick material.
    When you are on a slope with the winter trio, straps will be the only solution

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    When you are on a slope with the winter trio, straps will be the only solution
    What would you recommend for straps?

Won't help with steep slopes, but I prop my spare clothing under one side of the pad. Combined with some seam sealer on the floor of my tent, I'm fairly secure on a slight slope.

You could look at Big Agnus sleep system sleeping bags. They have a sleeve for your pad

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    You might try running a few stripes of seam sealer or seam grip on the surfaces of your pads to provide friction where they contact each other. .........
    Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    ..........Combined with some seam sealer on the floor of my tent.........
    Try these simple suggestions, they will probably make a big difference. I have used strips of silicone sealant on both the floor of my tent and on the sleeping pad to keep the pad from slipping around in the tent and to keep my sleeping bag from slipping off the pad. On a steep enough slope gravity will always win, unfortunately.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

seam sealer? why permanently ruin your equipment with all that messy goop when the simple solution is an anti slip mat used for carpets between the layers that is light and very cheap.... also almost every 99cents stores carry it.

Go to walmart and get some elastic strips and cut to size and sew ends---make two such loops. One winter I used two inflatables---a Prolite with a Prolite Plus---

Thermarest even provides such a product:
    https://www.thermarest.com/ie/sleepi...kit/05228.html
    While its originally designed to strap two pads side by side (which doesn't work properly) its very useful for to strap two pads one atop the other.

++ New Posts ++