WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Just about at 20lbs!

Fully loaded backpack with 7 days food is at 20.5lbs! And when I figure out that I don't need a backup canister of fuel, it should drop under 20 lbs!

Woo hoo! Looking forward to my trip in 2 weeks!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

and now that my load is light I can upgrade next year to a UL backpack and shave at least 21 ounces off!

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Well done! Was watching a video of a guy who proudly stated at the beginning of the hike that fully loaded he was 13 pounds. The first night he slept in his tent. The second night he spent 2 days in town. Then he was back in his tent and ordering pizza. The next day he had run out of food.

Images

What temperatures are you carrying gear for?
    What is your actual food weight for 7 days?
    Does 20.5 lbs include water carried?

Gear list?

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Well done! Was watching a video of a guy who proudly stated at the beginning of the hike that fully loaded he was 13 pounds. The first night he slept in his tent. The second night he spent 2 days in town. Then he was back in his tent and ordering pizza. The next day he had run out of food.
    won't be me! I don't eat pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    What temperatures are you carrying gear for?
    What is your actual food weight for 7 days?
    Does 20.5 lbs include water carried?

My bag is rated at 40. I can go a little below that and still be snug.

My food weight is just under 7 lbs. I freeze dry all my own. see the thread in my signature.

Does not include water. Mostly I hike with 1 liter, depends on sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Gear list?
    It's late now but maybe I will get to it tomorrow?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    My bag is rated at 40. I can go a little below that and still be snug...
    Hopefully that's a conservative WM, or other quality bag with a true to temp rating - and you have extra insulation to add to it if you hit a couple of really cold nights. It's not summer yet in the mountains. Average lows in GSMNP in early May is around 40°. But daily deviations from that average can be substantial - like lows in the 20's. Pack weight is only meaningful when environmental conditions, and hence gear required, is known. It's nice to have a lighter pack. It's even nicer to be warm.

How is that even possible, I eat over two pounds of food a day.

You don't eat much, do you?

Girls dont eat as much. Girls dont need to eat as much. Of course, that may change once shes on the trail.

Images

Yeah, I eat two pounds per day and I'm always hungry. One pound per day and I wouldn't be able to hike.

A twenty pound pack is a joy on one's back. So there's that, anyway.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

and now that my load is light I can upgrade next year to a UL backpack and shave at least 21 ounces off!
    Why wait? Years ago when I first started backpacking in 1989 and throughout the 1990s, I used a book bag that cost $10 - $20. Nothing fancy, just something kids used for school. It wasn't as light as light today's UL packs but depending on which pack I found weight in around 8 oz for not a lot of money. It going a little old school but it still works. Just an option.

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Hopefully that's a conservative WM, or other quality bag with a true to temp rating - and you have extra insulation to add to it if you hit a couple of really cold nights. It's not summer yet in the mountains. Average lows in GSMNP in early May is around 40°. But daily deviations from that average can be substantial - like lows in the 20's. Pack weight is only meaningful when environmental conditions, and hence gear required, is known. It's nice to have a lighter pack. It's even nicer to be warm.
    I am well aware of mountains. Been in the Whites many a time. I have a zpacks 40 degree bag, a silk liner, silk long johns (these things add like 10 degrees to ME) plus shorts and shirt for sleeping. A long sleeve and my puffy jacket that I used to wear exclusively in MA and NH in terrible temps and my head buff. I will be quite comfy down into the 30s and high 20's. Low 20's may be a little uncomfortable, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    How is that even possible, I eat over two pounds of food a day.

You don't eat much, do you?
    I freeze dry all my own meals. I figured out the other day that 1 lb of food equates to about 3 or possibly 4 lbs per day reconstituted.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    Why wait? Years ago when I first started backpacking in 1989 and throughout the 1990s, I used a book bag that cost $10 - $20. Nothing fancy, just something kids used for school. It wasn't as light as light today's UL packs but depending on which pack I found weight in around 8 oz for not a lot of money. It going a little old school but it still works. Just an option.

Wolf
    My pack is 2 lbs 8 oz. I can't really get much less than that unless I go to one of the new fabrics. And since my husband and I already bought me a new tent and sleeping bag from zpacks this year, a new backpack will have to wait until next year.

Images

I freeze dry all my own meals. I figured out the other day that 1 lb of food equates to about 3 or possibly 4 lbs per day reconstituted.
    Completely water free (dried, like your food), most male hikers consume at least 1.5 pounds per day, many 2 or more. I'm a 1.75 pound/day eater on the trail and I don't lose weight. My very petite wife can go slightly under 1.5 pounds.

You have a light pack, like BC said, a joy to carry, but I'd add a bit more food up to about 1.5 per day, you're going to be hungry at only 1 pounds per day.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Completely water free (dried, like your food), most male hikers consume at least 1.5 pounds per day, many 2 or more. I'm a 1.75 pound/day eater on the trail and I don't lose weight. My very petite wife can go slightly under 1.5 pounds.

You have a light pack, like BC said, a joy to carry, but I'd add a bit more food up to about 1.5 per day, you're going to be hungry at only 1 pounds per day.
    well if that happens I will get my resupply quicker and end up hiking fewer days. I think though we also have to eat at what people actually eat. Ramen is no match for my moroccan chicken. and forget about poptarts for breakfast I am having 3 scrambled eggs with breakfast sausage, various veggies and sometimes jalapenos and cheese. I think quality of calories is very important. And if I can find a decent steak along the way I'll be stopping for 2 or 3 of those too!

Images

well if that happens I will get my resupply quicker and end up hiking fewer days. I think though we also have to eat at what people actually eat. Ramen is no match for my moroccan chicken. and forget about poptarts for breakfast I am having 3 scrambled eggs with breakfast sausage, various veggies and sometimes jalapenos and cheese. I think quality of calories is very important. And if I can find a decent steak along the way I'll be stopping for 2 or 3 of those too!
    Fair enough, you'll settle in on what you need! At least you're not over carrying food... lots of folks do, somehow afraid they are in danger if they get a wee bit hungry. I consider it a complete success if I'm walking into the next resupply town completely empty of food and a slight bit hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Fair enough, you'll settle in on what you need! At least you're not over carrying food... lots of folks do, somehow afraid they are in danger if they get a wee bit hungry. I consider it a complete success if I'm walking into the next resupply town completely empty of food and a slight bit hungry.
    LOL yes done that many more times than I wish to remember - too much food. I am actually thinking about adding a few things - freeze dried berries and maybe some more FDed bananas, and some guacamole. But not likely more than another pound for a week. But seriously 12 oz of chicken and veggies besides seems like a pretty large meal. And I have been doing as much hiking as I can. Even with my pack. The toughest is getting ready for elevation as my best challenge is climbing stairs in parking garages but the wee bits of elevation at the local nature preserve are much more fun. I leave in 11 days and the "training" is ramping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++